Flying Monster of Afghanistan...Amodel Soviet Mil Mi-10, 1980s...

Some more components and some cockpit decals and details...

Turbines, intakes, etc...

50086123686_af350be55d_c_d.jpg

And some cockpit details.  I think I am going to mask all the larger clear pieces, since some of them are structural, and give them some primer so I can better see what I'm doing when it comes time to assemble.

50085540838_33812c318e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

Thanks Craig.  Once the whole thing is closed up, there won't be much to see.  Next steps are masking the glass bits.

Regarding a GB Chat question...are STOL aircraft allows in this GB, specifically Storch or Porters?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Craig.  Once the whole thing is closed up, there won't be much to see.  Next steps are masking the glass bits.

Regarding a GB Chat question...are STOL aircraft allows in this GB, specifically Storch or Porters?

Sorry John

Yes I'm afraid thats outwith the scope of the GB as originally intended. 

Going by the number different builds there is no shortage of options available as it is.

cheers Pat 

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Yes I'm afraid thats outwith the scope of the GB as originally intended. 

That's what I thought.  I was just making sure.  And, yes...so many options!  I might actually try to build my first Harrier!

• Like 2

This is an intimidating piece of instruction so I decided to break it up into several parts, thus reducing the number of pieces into components.  I hope that makes sense.  I think it will simplify the construction and add support strength to each piece.

50083543607_0672754beb_c_d.jpg

First, I masked all the glass areas since parts 180/181/182/184 are structural as well as clear and need to be treated as such.  Part 180, for instance, is very strange.  In the instructions it looks as if the cross-hatched areas are supposed to be panes of glass.  This is not so, as the box art illustrates.  I also punched out the round masks for the portholes.

50090538751_1ed05fcf09_h_d.jpg

Next, I jumped ahead to page 8 and assembled the tail section with its rear decking.  I discovered something that was an easy fix.

50089985703_b300f99f4b_c_d.jpg

The decking, combined with the fuselage (#39 and 16, respectively), needs to be augmented a bit to insure a clean fit and edge.  This was accomplished with a bit of sprue spreading out the fuselage walls a tad.  But first I assembled the tail halves. No problems there despite the lack of locating pins.

50089960353_5ea2e69a48_c_d.jpg

And the aforementioned tail/decking dilemma and solution...

50090774902_1016e35317_h_d.jpg

Turning back to the front half of the fuselage, I decided to add the engine section to the top of the fuselage, after having glued the fuselage halves together.  The amount of gaps that need to be filled here is massive, much more than you see and will require a fair amount of Milliput and careful sculpting.  That will most likely be a post in itself!

50090774712_52ef2bb43f_h_d.jpg

With that accomplished, I glued the forward intakes to the cockpit roof and attached the first two pieces of structural glass into place.  In doing so I have begun to say "goodbye" to the cockpit...

50090774492_1f49b657bb_h_d.jpg

So here we are, with a rough dry-fit just to get an idea of the size of this thing.  I have discovered that there will be large gaps in the area where the two halves meet, so large that plastic shims will be necessary, perhaps even strengthening supports on the interior.  All very do-able.

It looks more like I have just come from the fish mongers and am filleting my supper...

50090538726_20e63bd04e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

That is an impressive kit and you look to be doing justice to it. That is a  hell of a lot of fuselage to be suspended under a single rotor, I bet the people who did the stress and load calculations for the rotor head double checked their figures! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

That is a  hell of a lot of fuselage to be suspended under a single rotor, I bet the people who did the stress and load calculations for the rotor head double checked their figures! 

And will require a fair amount of paint too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

it doesn't put me off getting one

Thank Hewy.  Please get one. It is a satisfying kit if only to deduce building priorities.  It's a bit pricey though...

Tomorrow I'll investigate shimming and so forth...

• Haha 1

OK.  Let's get this together, fill some gaps, etc...

The first thing-- I had to figure out the gap and connective issues with the fuselage.  You can see my dilemma below...at least it looks mostly even.

50107166497_ea71219e0a_c_d.jpg

And this was my solution!  I removed about 2mm of the decking using a variety of tools.

50106928891_e96743597f_c_d.jpg

And the result was this:

50106928956_7c10cee00c_c_d.jpg

50106358548_8f63ff12fb_c_d.jpg

Not so bad.  The underside had a bit of a gap which was easier to rectify than the curved wall of the fuselage exterior.  Plastic shims worked here...

50106358573_befb733744_c_d.jpg

With the nose sections all assembled, the fuselage in one piece...a quick look shows some gaps, pre-primer...

50106358528_2c338633fb_c_d.jpg

I decided to give it some primer to highlight the gap issue--yikes!

50107166237_d953a7a64a_c_d.jpg

I went through with Milliput for the main fill.  I'll go back with the Revell paste to smooth things out, especially in the fuselage area.

50106948561_55c175a275_c_d.jpg

50107186402_10df8979fb_c_d.jpg

In the meantime, I forged ahead with one side of the landing gear.  What a pain this is.  The instructions are not very instructive yet after some blue language and some glue-y bits, I think I wrangled it into shape.  The key, as I see it, is to make sure the other side looks the same!  

50107166117_20e70e100b_k_d.jpg

There are 17 of these little hand rails.  They are all this thin and small.  I understand @zebras reluctance to use them.  It's tough getting them off the sprue let alone cleaning them up!

50106928641_10537e7b5d_c_d.jpg

So the legs are on the starboard side...minus the wheels, of course.  

During this section I felt like I was building an Eagle from Space:1999...

50106928771_56b957ce46_c_d.jpg

I'll leave it there until this afternoon.  More legs, more filler, more blue language to come!

--John

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

You are fighting the good fight with this one

4 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Top marks for persistence

4 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Looks like hard work! Well done so far

Such high acclaim!  Many thanks fellows...Pushing ahead, making decisions, etc...

I have completed the scaffolding  landing gear legs.  Looking very much like a large insect has landed on the work bench...Oh yes...assembled the wheel halves to make wheel wholes.  I am happy that the box art is so large and nicely painted.  It is as much help as the instruction sheet for this build.  

50108805532_5eb0e985aa_c_d.jpg

From beneath...

50108805512_0c80a35f68_c_d.jpg

At this point I will jump ahead a section or two and attach all the terribly thin and breakable hand rails and antennae.  The cargo platform is a separate build and can be assembled as well.  How that attaches to the underside of the helicopter is best left for the very end of the build.  I'll post some instruction sheets to prove the point.

--John

• Like 8

Good work getting all that undercarriage struttery  lined up square.  I built an A-Model Mirage III a few years ago, it was a nightmare I and vowed that I would never build another of their kits.  I still another mirage in the stash, probably never will build it.

AW

3 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Immense! -not just the size of it, but especially the quality of your build.

Thank you Dave.  I am flattered.  Let's wait to see the final outcome.  It is big.  I have a shelf big enough for everything but the rotors--I think.

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

probably never will build it.

I have few of those.   Thanks Andwil!

• Like 1