Flying Monster of Afghanistan...Amodel Soviet Mil Mi-10, 1980s...

This is a real behemoth, and it will be a challenge to be able to keep it from overflowing off of the bench and onto a secondary surface.  Plus, I'll be building a Corsair at the same time.  I hope the two don't end up as one build! 

Here's the box art.  Very nice...

50074078273_72427f02c6_c_d.jpg

Here are the sprue...

50075675123_3c90bcf03a_c_d.jpg

Just kidding!  Here are some better images...

50076493942_4d851f30dc_c_d.jpg

50076493247_0c67493926_c_d.jpg

More sprue plus the profile...the scheme of colouring...skhema okraski...aka, light grey...

50076493882_f7d1d4de91_c_d.jpg

So...do I have enough grey paint?  

Is there space in the cabinet for the finished build?  

This is, by far, the largest model I have ever built--in any scale.  Much larger than the C-119...

A real Soviet leviathan of the air, up there with their parasite-carrying bombers of WW2 and all the other Extremely Large Designs (ELD) the Russians have graced us with.  Mother Russia, you are a large place and so you demand a larger machine.

--John

• Like 26

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you've picked a behemoth this time haven't you!

The term I use is 'Egads!'

7 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck John,

Again...egads!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

This should be good, watching with interest.

Welcome AW...

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Are you sure you dont have a whole squadron there ?

I know!  It's a big one.  There're some parts I am not supposed to use, but they are very few.  I'll get into it this afternoon...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

thats a big helicopter.

Very true.  I think the largest in the world, but don't quote me.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Great choice john

Thanks.  It spoke to me via the Big Yellow Store...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK I have jumped in.  I will take it piece by piece, panel by panel, step by step...No mounting pins, some thick-ish flash...'guess-your-way' instructions...

I have actually proceeded further in the cockpit than what I am showing, but not by much.  What I have to do now is paint the interior and add some decals.  The detail isn't bad.

50079516172_ee2ea23b8c_c_d.jpg

Strange model engineering, but ok...I'll do it...

50079516197_dff66d43f6_c_d.jpg

Now this...how the heck is this supposed to work?  In the end I glued the big pipes together and the fans with the long things...if that makes sense...

50079515892_92c3f915b3_c_d.jpg

Like this...

50079883382_5e6476e6b8_c_d.jpg

And a test fit says, "Well done!"

50079057603_2dbb345d36_c_d.jpg

This now...I am not sure which way it is supposed to be glued on so I will have to wait and see.  One end of the plate is narrower than the other...

50078692763_93b82c67d6_c_d.jpg

Phew!  It has begun!

--John

• Like 13

Hi John

Really appreciate the detail you are showing which will be a fantastic reference for anyone else attempting this kit.

I have been looking for a display cabinet for a while to put my competed builds in. Seeing this build has given me the idea that, I could use a finished one of these to keep all the other kits in !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Like this...

Thats right John, they're the drive shafts from the power turbines of the engine which goes back to a reduction gearbox.

Very nice work so far, the cockpit looks quite nicely detailed and you're doing a good job interpreting the instructions.

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you're doing a good job interpreting the instructions.

Thanks!  And thank you for the instruction.  My knowledge of engines is woefully sparse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks!  And thank you for the instruction.  My knowledge of engines is woefully sparse.

Not a problem my friend, I spent 15 years working on the Gnomes for Wessex and Sea Kings and this set up looks very familiar to what I used to see.

A bit bigger than your usual builds John! I built one of these a couple of years ago - it’s on BM somewhere - it’s a big impressive model when it’s done. A few challenges along the way but I’m sure you’re up to them! I’ll be following.

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Seeing this build has given me the idea that, I could use a finished one of these to keep all the other kits in !

I like the idea.  It could be a good scratch conversion for 144th scale builds...yes...that would be possible.  

In the late 1960s, in America, you could buy a small case for your Hotwheels cars that was a large tire. 

https://www.lofty.com/products/vintage-1968-mattel-hot-wheels-super-rally-case-with-extra-cardboard-1-6zaww

Although I had plenty of toy cars back then, my heart turned towards modelling...

• Haha 1

Ok....many thanks @zebra, for his WiP thread...It has made me think ahead about some possible issues.

For now, contact lens time...I mean windows...

50083305251_74620bc0b8_c_d.jpg

50082722218_8d82e8380e_c_d.jpg

and done...

50083543437_7fdc944631_c_d.jpg

I will let that all dry overnight before I mask the exterior.  I am not worrying about the interior, not matter what @JOCKNEY wants to do!  

So I can forge ahead on some other bits...

Like these parts...

50083543642_97a968c54d_c_d.jpg

I have a nice decal for the instrument panel.  I will add it later.  No one will see it.

Intake...

50083305141_4fb2bcdd32_c_d.jpg

IP backside...

50083543777_a1e06240bd_c_d.jpg

And so, once all is dry and set I will give a short progress report and then move onto this stage of the build:

50083543607_0672754beb_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5
  • Confused 1