RMS Titanic paint advice

FrankJ

This is really my first serious attempt at building 1/700 Titanic, I was wondering if I could ask you guys about painting the hull. All painting was handbrushed

The Revell Titanic gift set came with all plastic parts white, I cleaned the parts in soapy water then primed it all with Aqua Base Primer.

The black paint on the hull has left random dimples where port holes are showing through white where the paintbrush has missed. While I have some fine pointed handbrushes touching up these white portholes in black would be easy enough.

Enter my missus, she commented they could look light little lights coming through a random set of portholes, my question to you guys should I leave the white dots or fill them in?

I'm not keen on drilling them out to put led's inside, I don't think my experience has reached that stage yet. I know some will will suggest getting a spraygun kit but I don't want to spend too much at the moment in case I don't get right into modelling. I have posted my first paint job below.

I'm not sure If I have posted image correctly, I entered url via the "Insert Image From URL" button but nothing happened.

hull1

Edited by FrankJ

It's your model, so of course you can do that! Looking at the image, they're remarkably consistent, but you could look more carefully and decide. Do whatever makes you happiest on this. I will offer this observation, it bothers you now, it will bother you more later.

As for posting a picture, your link is to a web page. The link you need should end in an image filetype, such as ".jpg". I don't use imgur, but I assume you have some button thingy that will provide such a link. When you get a link like that, you can just paste it into the posting window, et voilà! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

It's your model, so of course you can do that! Looking at the image, they're remarkably consistent, but you could look more carefully and decide. Do whatever makes you happiest on this. I will offer this observation, it bothers you now, it will bother you more later.

As for posting a picture, your link is to a web page. The link you need should end in an image filetype, such as ".jpg". I don't use imgur, but I assume you have some button thingy that will provide such a link. When you get a link like that, you can just paste it into the posting window, et voilà! 

Thanks dnl42, sorry about the quick changes with the photo links, ImgUR seems a problem, just got a free account just now with Flickr, no problem now.

I quite like it with the dots of white, but then as is noted above, it's your model and you have to be happy with it.

As for image hosting, Flickr is fine (I've used it for 10 years+) though it's nowhere near as good as it used to be but be aware that the free service is limited to 1,000 images.  Once you post your 1,001st, it will automatically delete an earlier one.  I'm not sure if they delete them in date order of upload or random.  Now 1,000 images may seem a lot but I was very close to it when they introduced that new rule about 2 years ago so bit the bullet and paid for the professional service.  

Hope that helps

• Like 1