1:35 Hitachi ZC50T-5 Vibratory Road Roller - Completed!

Back in 2018 I built the Hasegawa kito f the Hitachi excavator

and enjoyed it so much I picked up the companion kit, the Hitachi Vibratory Road Roller

DSC_4384.JPG

After building the ICM Ford Model T Fire Engine recently, I thought I'd continue with the non-Sci Fi, non-military theme and launch into this lovely little kit! Its not very big but there is a lot of lovely detail molded onto the parts

DSC_4385.JPG

The colour scheme is pretty straightforward and reflected in the plastic colours.

DSC_4386.JPG

I'm not sure I'll use the rather ropey-looking figure :)

Construction has started and it basically boils down to two major components, the front and back which are coupled by a semi-universal joint in the middle. For ease of painting I'm keeping the assemblies colour separated for now. The opportunities for weathering on this are quite exciting!

DSC_4387.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

Construction of the main pices is done - its not a very large or complex kit, although it has some lovely detail

DSC_4403.JPG

So its all ready for paint! In fact here are the two roller having been painted with Alcllad Stainless Steel

DSC_4405.JPG

DSC_4406.JPG

However, when it came to weathering these, the paint essentially fell off the plastic, so it had to be tripped off. I then repainted it using Mr Metal Color Stainless Steel, painting aroudn the drum so any brush strokes left in the paint were in the right direction, then a coat of Steel over the top. This was then left to dry for a day or so then got slathered with Flory Wash light dirt and concrete. This was again left to dry and I took a coarse sanding stick to the result very gently scratching the paint surface to end up with this

DSC_4411.JPG

The inside of the rollers need a bit of work as they are still just the dried wash. I'm pleased with the well used effect this has achieved. The assembly of the other parts after painting then has allowed me to start weathering on them too, initially with the mix of concrete, light dirt and some dark dirt

DSC_4407.JPG

Here are the controls that will be attachied directly in front of the seat

DSC_4408.JPG

Rear

DSC_4409.JPG

Front

DSC_4410.JPG

I need to add some oil stains which will work nicely using enamel washes in conjunction with the dried clay washes that are already on it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised I never posted the completed photos here, so here they are

DSC_4452.JPG

DSC_4453.JPG

DSC_4454.JPG

DSC_4420_001.JPG

DSC_4422_001.JPG

This was a fun little build and since its only 3.5 inches long, its easy to fit into my slightly crowded display cabinets!

• Like 5