***finished***BoB Beaufighter mk1

Another I've wanted to do for a while, probably will be the old frog kit, but never know might end up with a hasegawa or airfix TF10 kit, not least as the frog kit lacks the spinners and I've just remember there airfix is in my local shop. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 6

On 7/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, Heather Kay said:

Hobby 2000 have reboxed the Hasegawa MkI with suitable markings for the Battle period. I built one earlier this year.

Forgot about that, though seems it’s sold out currently so will be the airfix kit, alleycat conversion and spares box decals  

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking good Stu. Do those new Hori Stabs need some type of wedge on the inner leading edge to plug that gap? Looks like they may have been designed for another kit.

Cheers.. Dave 

Indeed, made for the airfix kit, plugged it with miliput so that’s paused proceedings for a few days whilst it hardens, have to find something else to work on,  probably my b58

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Underside sanded and painted with Humbrol 90, seems to much greener than what was used on the spitfire and defiant

Sky is as notorious as, for example, Ocean Grey and Olive Drab when it comes to exact shades.  The colour was first promulgated for use immediately before the Battle of Britain and available stocks were inadequate to meet the immediate and widespread demand.  Even the aircraft manufacturers were unable to obtain sufficient quantities to meet their needs.  The result was that many units had to mix their own paint, so variations in "Sky" were not uncommon, ranging from a pure pale sky blue through a richer duck-egg blue to a duck-egg green, Sky itself to a richer eau-de-nil (Nile water, literally) and several shades in between.

There are plenty of discussions about the true colour of Sky on this and other forums if you fancy a quiet trawl some time.

Is that one of the new Humbrol acrylics that you've used?  If so please let me (and the rest of us!) know how it performs.

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Not one of the very latest dropper bottles as 90 is not yet in the range but the previous 18.2ml range, brushes quite nicely though my pot unlike the prior ones I’ve had from that range was annoyingly “bitty” though careful eye and a wipe with a damp cloth dealt with that issue 

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not one of the very latest dropper bottles as 90 is not yet in the range but the previous 18.2ml range, brushes quite nicely though my pot unlike the prior ones I’ve had from that range was annoyingly “bitty” though careful eye and a wipe with a damp cloth dealt with that issue 

OK, thanks for that.  Some of the older Humbrol acrylics weren’t even fit for use on some of my daughter’s lower school homework projects; let’s hope the new ones are better, much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoped to be done with the painting tonight but had a final dark earth touch up on the port wing to do when I knocked the pot (with lid fortunately fully screwed on) onto the laminate and it rolled off at speed, only to start coming out much lighter shade, so careful overpaint of the camo is needed, should have realised it wasn’t fully mixed given it  was so much darker then usual 

50535345677_f7dc3a1571_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh dear, turns out I never had the right decals to do this, Xtradecal codes are different and I don’t have the right fin flashes. Might be winning a rather pricy Aeromaster sheet in the next couple of days but if not this will have to wait far longer :( hurricanes near finished though

Edited by PhantomBigStu