Old tool Airfix Dornier Do17.

Hi folk's another for the kit you built as a kid GB,not my best moment in plastic it was a bit troublesome in places and the glazing very disappointing I was

glad to get her finished but good practice for a couple of later mark's for the BoB GB next week,apologies to luftwaffe fan's the decals were shot so cobbled

national insignia together for a pre=delivery aircraft and at the time of building was out of most paints so colours a bit iffy!

20200608_192702 20200704_141555

20200704_141614

20200704_141603

20200704_141622

20200704_141632

20200704_141641

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

Isn't it great when you make do with what you have (kit, paint, decals, etc.) and the end result is very satisfying? Excellent build. Like the color scheme.

• Like 2

I remember that kit in its light blue plastic so well…

You've made an excellent, clean job out of it and, like others, I think that the prewar camo is very attractive and suits the Dornier like hand in glove.

Nice!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

great job, and the color scheme is very convincing. Well done!

I have just looked at my own kit, which is one of the original boxing, light blue plastic and all! Conclusion, you have done a sterling job to make your model look so good.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Nice to see an almost forgotten kit by Airfix.  I only ever built one... never knew what happened to it. I always thought it one of the better Airfix kits of the time along with the Marauder for example.

• Like 2

Very nicely presented. Love the paint job.

The sight of that particular shade of light blue plastic that Airfix throughout that era that era, predominantly for German subjects initially, brought back memories. The texture of it was nicer to model with than the brittle black plastic they used for Brit heavies e.g. Lancaster & Wellington at the time, or -not as brittle- shiny dark grey plastic so predominant throughout the early 1960s. e.g. C-47, B-17G, B-24J, Typhoon, Ju 87B, Hawker Hart. Later '60s, I recall their Ju 88A-4, along with their then new Pe 2 and Blenheim Mk IV all being in that blue plastic -if memory serves accurately?

• Like 2

Cracking job Steve! I'm another who has boyhood memories of this kit in it''s lovely light blue plastic (same as the JU88 IIRC) and I also fondly remember building it in an afternoon, leaving it light blue and just sticking the transfers on. In a fit of nostalgia I bought the new tool kit on release only to be disappointed that it was in dull grey plastic and had so many parts that I still haven't finished it! :)

I also have no idea if your colours are 'correct', but personally I think they look great! Lovely model!

Keith

• Like 2

Wow Steve!!!  I would have jumped off of the bridge upon opening the box.  You have made the old gal look pretty darn good my friend!!!!!! 

:goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That looks (as usual) fantastic. I do wish you'd stop turning these old kits into masterpieces & then I could stop trying to find them. These had such brilliant  schemes.

Steve.

Annoying isn't it? I scour ebay for old classics like this for a cheap nostalgia build but invariably end up missing out when they get snapped up by collectors. Or Steve. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, IanC said:

I scour ebay for old classics like this for a cheap nostalgia build

Unfortunately those two seem to be mutually exclusive. It sure isn't me winning them, I'm much too tight to out bid anybody else. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Unfortunately those two seem to be mutually exclusive. It sure isn't me winning them, I'm much too tight to out bid anybody else. :D

Steve.

Same here stevehnz. Certainly locally on AU eBay, anything Airfix of yore regardless of condition is advertised today as "Vintage" is invariably accompanied by an exploitive price (attempt). Just as invariably, happy to live with the good memory rather than turn it into a bad one, I pass. Difficult to comprehend that there are actually bidders who will pay those silly prices asked. 🙃   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IanC said:

Annoying isn't it? I scour ebay for old classics like this for a cheap nostalgia build but invariably end up missing out when they get snapped up by collectors. Or Steve. 😀

I,ve been looking for a certain kit for a while and bid on one of two last week prepared to go to a tenner,as soon as it went to £10:50 I gave up the chase and turned to the

other which was still sitting at £3:00 or make offer  no bidder's with two day's to go as I was about to start bidding it flashed up "ended" ,He'd only accepted a three quid

offer on it so someone got a new tool Airfix Skyhawk very cheap!Last weeks haul was a Matchbox Shar for a fiver and an Emhar Fury for eight quid!

• Like 2