Model 100 Bugatti Racer

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

but which end is the front?

:P

Some say that the Bugatti is the first plane to be able to fly in any direction -or to all directions at the same time, as it sadly proved.

That's the same rap I get when I build canards: Why does it fly backwards?

The un-primed modeling masses, nowadays... B)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Martian said:

its really blossoming.

Cheers Martian.

20200721-230821-1.jpg

While a second round of filler is drying on the flying Bugatti, I thought I'd try and sort out the road Bugatti. I think I've managed to sort most of the surfaces out except for those inboard faces of the wheel arches, very awkward place.

Stuart

• Like 11

The car is starting to come through as well 👍.

Personally I would like to cut back most, or all of the rivet detail. Not much would be visible in 1/72, it's a smooth flowing shape. Maybe remove all of it and replace with tiny marks made by two needles put together to keep regular distance. Just a thought.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Just a thought.

Thoughts much appreciated. It just so happens that I was thinking about those very rivets this morning. Foreman isn't happy, back to workshop with it...like the racer.

Stuart

• Like 3

I've been so busy over in the maritime world (yes I really have), I wasn't paying much attention here. What an interesting thread. We can always rely on you to enthrall with these somewhat esoteric builds.

Terry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

We can always rely on you to enthrall with these somewhat esoteric builds.

Don't blame me, look at @Moa for esoteric subjects.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Bodywork looking great though Stuart

Cheers Chris but those seam rivet are worthy for a WW1 tank, they had to go. When I get back from my break, the first thing to be done will be another primer coat after removing those rivets on the car.

The tail planes have been fitted and will need a little PPP/sanding too.

Stuart

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a holiday break, gardening and a 'cave' to hot to work in, it's time to get back to the Bugattis.

20200814-213130-1.jpg

Tail planes and gaps filled with some PPP.

20200814-213419-1.jpg

The central void here is the location for port side exhaust. The kit comes with  exhausts but they're a mess, so

bug100-15.jpg

I'll have to scratch a pair of fairings shown here.

20200814-213231-1.jpg

Temporarily fitted with its legs for this gratuitous pic.

Stuart 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good

Cheers Chris. Had to do the leg bit just to see how she sits, cute. The exhaust fairings were going on anyway so the 'pants' exhausts were destined for the bin anyway. As for the leave, it was nice to get away, change of scenery and de-stress.

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Just seen this thread.

Welcome to the thread James, hope there'll be something of use.

57 minutes ago, Moa said:

spiffy

Hardly an Argentinian word but it fits.

38 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Good to see this on the go again. No slacking now....

Thanks Terry but me slacking...your Mr Slack :nod:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad this weather has calmed down, allows me time in the cave.

Anyways...

20200815-230352-1.jpg

Port exhaust fairing done but will need a little remedial clean up...

20200815-230415-1.jpg

...as does the starboard fairing.

20200815-230614-1.jpg

Also tackled the contra props; holes drilled in correct locations and blades test fitted. With the central parts being the same colour as the fuselage, these will be fitted to the fuselage soon, blades will be black.

Stuart

• Like 10

It was one of those jobs...

20200818-224933-1.jpg

Vac canopy was quite thin and had very little in the way of where to cut. It has taken a number of evenings to whittle/sand away the excess to get best fit. With only one vac canopy, I couldn't afford any c**k-ups...didn't like this job one bit. Still got make a pair of cylinders to fit in the nose (not supplied).

Stuart 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

It was on of those jobs...

Vac canopy was quite thin and had very little in the way of where to cut. It has taken a number of evenings to whittle/sand away the excess to get best fit. With only one vac canopy, I couldn't afford any c**k-ups...didn't like this job one bit. Still got make a pair of cylinders to fit in the nose (not supplied).

Stuart 

You are doing very well there.

Extra work on those kits, but extra satisfaction too!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Moa said:

You are doing very well there.

Thanks for the encouragement Claudio, much appreciated.

Gave the Bugatti another shot of primer for fault detection after recent work, needless to say, some work is still needed. Also trying to think how to mask that blasted canopy with those curves...

Stuart

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for the encouragement Claudio, much appreciated.

Gave the Bugatti another shot of primer for fault detection after recent work, needless to say, some work is still needed. Also trying to think how to mask that blasted canopy with those curves...

Stuart

Hi Stuart

May I suggest a mix media approach?

Straight and curved strips from those contouring mask sets like "Canopy Survival Kit" (there are others I guess) to make the edges, and then Maskol or similar to fill the panes?

And this will only cost you a beer when I get to visit my relatives there.

• Thanks 1

FWIW here's my method. I cut thin curved strips from regular Tamiya tape using compasses or by knifing round circular objects like paint tops. Because the strips are thin, you can bend them a bit more so the pucker is on edge away from the paint border. Then I backfill with cut up bits of tape. A kind of DIY survival kit.

Looking fabulous by the way. (Yes I meant the aeroplane!)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Looking great Stuart,  good luck with the masking.   I brush paint my models so don't really use masking and any outside of the lines I remove with a light rubbing of a cocktail stick. I don't know if that's helpful or not but if secured okay would it be worth trying to paint free hand and get the excess removed in that way and then mask off whole canopy to spray the fuselage etc and once done blend in the lower edge??? Probably a silly suggestion I know. 

All the best

Chris 

• Like 1

I've had some good successes using Bare Metal Foil to mask canopies. It's like the old "metalskin" sticky back very thin foil. It conforms to all and any curves with burnishing, and the idea is you then carefully cut around the frame lines with a curved scalpel. The frame areas can then be peeled away. It's much easier than it sounds. You should give it a try.

There was a video somewhere that I posted a while back. I'll see if I can find it. Meanwhile here is my example, before right and after left. Don't ask about the Scimitar, you don't want to know!

Canopy

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@AdrianMF @bigbadbadge @Space Ranger @Moa @Terry1954 Cheers guys for the advice, much appreciated.

14 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Still available from manufacturer:

That may be the case but outlets that sell the stuff are all out of stock and have been for some time, so there seems to be a supply issue and this seems to be supported by modellers who have tried to buy it directly...

Hopefully I'll get time tonight to fix blemishes after the primer. I've still got to scratch the undercarriage doors and then there'll be no excuses not to tackle the canopy. What's the worse that could happen...

Stuart

• Like 1