Day and Night - 1/72 Airfix Blenheim and Defiant

Even though it all started with Spitfires for me,as I’ve gotten older and learnt more about the Battle of Britain and the aircraft I’ve developed a soft spot for the  crews that flew and fought in the less glamorous types.

My entries for this build will be two Airfix kits:

A 1/72 Defiant to be built as L7026 ‘PS-V’ and a 1/72 Blenheim If to be built as L8665 ‘BQ-A’ of 600 Sqn.

Defiant and Blenheim

A note for posterity:

Defiant L7026 PS-V 264 Sqn shot down 

28 August 1940

P/Os PL Kenner and CE Johnson - both killed

Blenheim L8665 BQ-A 600 Sqn shot down 

08 August 1940

Pilot: F/O. Dennis Neve Grice. Killed

Air/Gnr: Sgt. Francis John Keast. Killed

Obs: AC 1. John Benjamin William Warren. Killed

• Like 18

Yes, both excellent, the first two new tool Airfix kits I built. I assembled each half of the Blenheim, complete with glazing section, before joining the two together and got a good result. Some people seem to have had trouble with joining the front to the main fuselage.

Davey

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Yes, both excellent, the first two new tool Airfix kits I built. I assembled each half of the Blenheim, complete with glazing section, before joining the two together and got a good result. Some people seem to have had trouble with joining the front to the main fuselage.

Davey

I'll second Davey's comment about making two fuselage halves first, and add that I've just changed the order of things with the engines too in my build by making the cowlings then dropping the engine in (rather than assembling the cowlings around the engine). I found this made it easier to get a nice fit with the cowlings. With a bit of care the Blenheim is a lovely kit, and the Defiant looks good too, have fun with them!

Matt

• Like 2