WNW "Ships' Camel"

Finished this one as the 'box top markings', one of the a/c that took part in the first carrier launched strike in June 1918, hence the daubed on PC10 to darken the light areas.  Terrific kit, can only pray they re-appear if and when the moulds are taken over.

DSC_0130

DSC_0104

DSC_0110

DSC_0115

DSC_0128

DSC_0119

Edited by Dave Batt
gramer & spelin
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Hello, Dave -

Cracking job on your Ship's Camel, mate!   I've built this one myself some time ago and it is a good kit but I was a bit disappointed with the decals ( a bit on the hard side) as they did not seem to be up to the usual WNW quality.

Regards

Another Dave

Truly exemplary work, a superb build!

But the one thing that jumped out at me as a visual oddity: with the rest of the bird looking so deliciously tatty...it seems odd to see the wheels/tires -- of all things -- looking so 'museum' pristine.

(Not meant in any way as a criticism...just a 'reflex' observation.)

Cheers

• Like 1

Lovely. I've got various seafaring biplanes in the stash, but haven't summoned the nerve to go at anything with rigging on it just yet!

11 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Truly exemplary work, a superb build!

But the one thing that jumped out at me as a visual oddity: with the rest of the bird looking so deliciously tatty...it seems odd to see the wheels/tires -- of all things -- looking so 'museum' pristine.

(Not meant in any way as a criticism...just a 'reflex' observation.)

Cheers

Carrier a/c, I figured the usual dust and mud was not appropriate, though they do stand out a bit.

18 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Lovely. I've got various seafaring biplanes in the stash, but haven't summoned the nerve to go at anything with rigging on it just yet!

This kit has a three part top wing, made rigging a lot easier than most.  The Centre section was completed first and then the landing wires, from inner top to outer bottom, were simple as the top outer panels weren't yet fitted.  The interplane struts were next, fitted with their cross-bracing as that runs between the strut ends rather than the wing surface, followed by each outer panel fitted one at a time with the rear flying wires first to be sorted.  The forward flying wires were last as they are anchored to the top of the front undercarriage and the wing's stagger leaves them moderately exposed.

19 hours ago, Britman said:

Lovely build, presumably a bit scary scrubbing all those light areas.

Keith

Too true.

Edited by Dave Batt
gramer & spelin
  • Like 2

Super job, you managed to rig the 'acorn' between the cabanes perfectly. Got any tips for that? You must be very pleased with how it has turned out, I certainly enjoyed seeing the photos.

21 hours ago, RichieW said:

Super job, you managed to rig the 'acorn' between the cabanes perfectly. Got any tips for that? You must be very pleased with how it has turned out, I certainly enjoyed seeing the photos.

The Camel is a great kit because the breakdown of the top wing makes rigging a lot easier.  This photos show how the upper c/s has been prepped with the landing wires in place and looped around the wing fixing tabs, and if you squint you can see the front cross bracing between the two front strut locating holes.  Two holes were drilled through the bullet (steady hands and the accompaniment of squinting and grinding teeth) and the rigging wire was glued to the upper hole (of the bullet) so it could be centred between the struts.   At the stage the overlength lower wire was fitted but allowed to 'float' (i.e., unsecured) so the bullet would self-centre when the lower wire was tensioned.

DSC_0084

Next step is obvious; the c/s was fitted in place.  The sneaky bit comes in that the geometry of the Camel is such that the cross-bracing wires will pass through the 'hump' and can be glued to the front of the firewall.  One end of the cross-bracing is glued firmly, then the other end is pulled down (should have specified I used elastic line) until the bullet is 7mm from the top wing. 

DSC_0088

HTH

Edited by Dave Batt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1