1/72 Matchbox P-51 Mustangs

Another pair of survivor models.

I’ve had these two Mustangs for around 35 years. Doesn’t time fly??

One was built and painted when I was a teenager (that make me feel old), first in Humbrol Silver enamel American version and then repainted a dark green British version for some reason which eludes me (told you I was old -52).

Not sure where the second one came from but that was unpainted and was in its bare green/silver plastic guise.
They both had been kicking about in a box in the loft and a house move and had suffered bits being broken off. the bare one fared better just losing one rear wing. The other had both rear wings broken off, all the prop blades, landing gear air scoop and worst of all a broken fuselage on the right hand side.

The painted one was taken back to its component parts by putting it in the freezer over night and flexing it until it came apart - which was quite easy due to the poly cements age.

Then it was soaked in the Dettol bath to remove the paint and washed off.

I even still had the original Matchbox build instructions and the decal sheet from the second kit in the spares box where some of the detached parts were stored.

I rebuilt the first kit and repaired the cracked body as best I could. 
Once it was at the same stage the other kit was they were then built as a pair with some parts for the first one requiring replacements with my 3D printer. (Propeller blades, air scoop, drop tanks and tail wheel and wheel well doors as the originals were way too thick and had no detail).

I then painted both black and (for the first time for me) airbrushed them Tamiya Chrome Silver. Turned out better on one than the other for some reason.

I then used the original Matchbox decals for each aircraft - which worked out well as two variants were on the same sheet so no wastage. They went on as well as if they were new.
I masked the wings to paint the yellow leading edge but the silver paint/varnish didn’t like the tape and discoloured, so I tried to touch it up. It’s ok(ish) but not perfect.

The canopies are both Pavla replacements as the originals were lost.

A few finishing touches here and there and here they are.

I added the fighting duck to the side as a bit of artistic license.

kYQoxBl.jpg

BCZs92k.jpg
fGruq4k.jpg

YAAJ2Hc.jpg

wQ3saoN.jpg

m50iKp0.jpg

UBxatoC.jpg
LUMr0vf.jpg

o8nL2eH.jpg
yCIXW1c.jpg

The P-47 Thunderbolt is a model for later restoration. The B-17 is a restored Airfix kit. B-24 is an early Airfix kit and the other is a restored Airfix C-47 gunship painted as a Dakota.

Edited by Brigbeale
Typo
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job on the two Mustangs,the B-17's a stunner....

Thank you for your kind comments.

I’ll get some better photos of the B-17 and post them later

• Thanks 1

I love the fact that you've so lovingly restored two inexpensive kits after 35 years. And they look great too!

• Thanks 1