Why two versions of BS381c Dark Earth & Dark Green?

Nobby Clarke

From reading threads on this site I learned that Dark Earth was initially numbered 450 (in 1964 edition), then renumbered to 350 (in 1980 edition). Similarly, Dark Green was initially 641 (in 1964 edition) and subsequently renumbered to 241 (1980 edition). As I understand it, the reason for this was to align the numbering with the defined colour grouping: 300 series for browns and 200 series for greens. 

I also read that the colour standards remained the same, just the numbering was changed. However, when I look at sites like www.e-paint.co.uk the digital data associated with 450 is clearly different to 350, and the same when 641 is compared to 241. Further, I have the British Standard Colours fan deck from e-paint.co.uk where the differences are visually perceptible.

Can anybody explain the reasons why there are differences between the colour pairs?

Edited by Nobby Clarke
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nobby Clarke said:

From reading threads on this site I learned that Dark Earth was initially numbered 450 (in 1964 edition), then renumbered to 350 (in 1980 edition). Similarly, Dark Green was initially 641 (in 1964 edition) and subsequently renumbered to 241 (1980 edition). As I understand it, the reason for this was to align the numbering with the defined colour grouping: 300 series for browns and 200 series for greens. 

I also read that the colour standards remained the same, just the numbering was changed. However, when I look at sites like www.e-paint.co.uk the digital data associated with 450 is clearly different to 350, and the same when 641 is compared to 241. Further, I have the British Standard Colours fan deck from e-paint.co.uk where the differences are visually perceptible.

Can anybody explain the reasons why there are differences between the colour pairs?

I don't know the precise explanation in this case, but in the military, the usual explanations for something like this are either a change of supplier which causes a minor change in the equipment being supplied, or a deliberate modification to improve the performance of the equipment or the personnel using it. Or, to expand on the first point, the procurement system allowing minor variations in spec to enable two or more manufacturers to mass produce the same item without wasting time and effort on making the products absolutely identical. 

I seem to remember a thread on here which discussed this. The explanation was that the difference was down to a different formulation of the paint as paint technology developed.- in modelling terms the difference between acrylic and enamel.

@Dana Bell has explained a similar situation with the American FS numbers.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, iainpeden said:

I seem to remember a thread on here which discussed this. The explanation was that the difference was down to a different formulation of the paint as paint technology developed.- in modelling terms the difference between acrylic and enamel.

@Dana Bell has explained a similar situation with the American FS numbers.

Paint chemical formulation however should not have anything to do with the colour shown in the standards, Paint types were defined by the various DTD documents, so that official camouflage instructions would state something like colour xxx  to DTD yyy

On 7/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, ACDC said:

You may find these useful; describes all colours used along with BS numbers and equivalent model paints and explains your question.

RAF:  http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_rafmod

Fleet Air Arm: http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_rnfaa

These links are tremendously helpful for anyone interested in postwar UK aircraft colors & camouflage.  I for one would love information like this to be in a pinned thread ☺