Badger airbrush / compressor / hose size madness

foxhandybread

Hi all, I’m in need of a bit of help with my airbrush. I bought a Badger 200 NH years ago and thought I’d get it out again and it’s been great just using compressed air cans but finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a compressor. I’d seen that Badger have somewhat proprietary bits so thought it would be prudent to get a Badger compressor so I plumped for the 1100 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badger-BA1100-Airbrush-Compressor/dp/B00I68KJPO). Just a heads up, I'm very new to the whole airbrushing thing so apologies in advance for the general lack of knowledge.

Next up was the question, which hose to use? The 1100 apparently (according to internet searches, the product itself has no info on hose sizes included) has a 1/4 output and the airbrush itself has a 1/8 input so I thought ok let’s just get one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004GUFZ5A (3mt braided airbrush hose 1/8 and 1/4). I then subsequently realised that this hose wouldn’t fit onto the airbrush itself so got an adaptor here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380723396775 which seems to fit the airbrush and hose together perfectly.

Problem is the 1/4 (larger, I think?) end of the hose appears to be the exact right size for the compressor outlet but I can only screw it on a few turns and when the compressor is turned on air shoots out all over the shop so it’s clearly not matching correctly. I tried some PTFE tape to see if that helped seal the gap between hose and inlet but no luck. I’m getting myself very confused regarding threads and connectors and rather than spend more money buying adaptors that may not work I thought I’d ask here. It’s slightly frustrating that the compressor itself doesn’t have any specs regarding exact hose end size or anything and searches are turning up a lot of conflicting information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That is a very good point Paul, ok here goes:

Here's the airbrush, hose with 1/4 and 1/8 ends, and the brush end adaptor:

spacer.png

All fits perfectly on the brush end:

spacer.png

The other end *looks* like it will fit:

spacer.png

But will only screw on three or four turns and when the compressor is turned on, lots of air is coming out:

spacer.png

Hopefully that makes more sense! Might it just be a faulty hose? Or will I need another adaptor?

Edited by foxhandybread

Sounds like a silly question but are you putting it on by hand or using a spanner? It needs tightening up so that the rubber washer inside the hose part seals against the threaded part. Also, do use some ptfe tape or some thread sealant on the threads to create an air tight seal.

And now I feel properly silly! And it won't be the last time.. You're absolutely right Steve I was just tightening it by hand, I was reluctant to do it too hard for fear of damaging anything but yep, a bit of tape and a good few more turns with a spanner and we have a good seal now, and the auto stop function is working properly. Now on to some airbrushing! Thanks very much :)

1 hour ago, foxhandybread said:

And now I feel properly silly! And it won't be the last time.. You're absolutely right Steve I was just tightening it by hand, I was reluctant to do it too hard for fear of damaging anything but yep, a bit of tape and a good few more turns with a spanner and we have a good seal now, and the auto stop function is working properly. Now on to some airbrushing! Thanks very much :)

No problem, don't feel silly, glad I could help. I won't mention the time when my regulator split and I bought a new one, fitted it and found that I couldn't get any air to come out of it. So I drove all the way back to the shop and complained it was faulty. "Have you fitted it the correct way around?" Correct way? "Yes, there's arrows on it showing the direction of the air flow, if you fit it backwards it won't work" Needless to say I took it home, observed the arrows and voila!! It worked 😉