Tyres

Timn

When painting tyres on vehicles,  what black do you use. No matter what shade it always looks wrong. The tyres look too shiny.

What do you guys recommend.

Don’t use pure black, it’s too stark on a model. I always use a dark grey, by using shades of dark grey it gives you room to manoeuvre with weathering using oil washes and pigments. Much easier to get a convincing finish. 

• Like 1

A tip I read for tyres, apart from the excellent advice above to use dark greys, I like both Revell Anthracite & Vallejo Black Grey, is to do the tread/circumference of the tyre with your base colour with a tiny bit of a tan colour mixed in to simulate a lighter shade on the tread area, especially for vehicles on dirt roads. I think the tip comes from  @Codger's wonderful big Rolls Royce build.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This has always been a "small hill to die on" for me. So, I done some science (well sorta)

spacer.png

Vallejo greys on white paper. The tyre is not new, the weather is overcast and we had rain yesterday, no flash used, photograph taken with a phone camera (Motorola G5+) no pp.

I'd say Vallejo 994 Dark Grey is a decent match but on a drier day 992 Neutral Grey might be closer. The other thing to stress for historical modellers modern rubber tyres contain natural rubber, synthetic rubber and carbon black (we like black tyres) so modern tyres are "blacker" than those used in WW2 for example.

spacer.png

Have a look at the Dunlop advert from the 1930s, a much lighter grey than the modern ad. So expect earlier tyres to be even lighter.

#RantEnds

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, Mike Starmer said:

On small scale Humbrol 32 dark grey looks good, Nato black on larger scale models.

Cheers Mike.   I've been told of your correct if i am allowed to say colour mixes. I will be mixing some up for future projects.

Thanks to all who have commented.  I have had to order some new brushes. We recently moved home and i think removal men dropped a box and somehow all my fine work brushes are turned up as they've been stood in a box where as i put them in a container layed down.

Just tried Games Workshops Corvus Black as an out of the pot solution. Rather impressed as its a faded blackish brown grey. Looks good to me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, badger said:

Just tried Games Workshops Corvus Black as an out of the pot solution. Rather impressed as its a faded blackish brown grey. Looks good to me.

Hi badger

I will have to see if i can  lay my hands on some.   I've recently moved to where i live and not had chance to find all the local shops.

1 hour ago, Timn said:

Hi badger

I will have to see if i can  lay my hands on some.   I've recently moved to where i live and not had chance to find all the local shops.

No problem - currently sat in a lengthy online meeting and wanted to get the tyres on my T-34 entry for the GB done. Was at hand so thought I'd try it. 

Might just be my new favourite tyre colour and easier than mixing (I always seem to run out part way through, no matter how much I mix). Did almost wash my brush out in my cup of tea though!!

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, davecov said:

Just to be different to everybody else, I use Humbrol H67 Tank Grey.

Dave

That's my favourite tyre paint as well.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badger said:

Did almost wash my brush out in my cup of tea though!!

Done that a few times 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

I did worse, I dunked mine in a fine single malt one night.

Cleaned the brush a treat.

Rick.

I  bet it did.

• Like 1