Revell 1/140 USS Constitution

More from the now rarely spotted Nomoreshelfspace!! (I should change that now...). I think this is the only kit I built last year, after a visit to the real ship in Boston, Mass. A ship with a hell of a story, you should look it up. The kit is nice despite dating from about 1955 - judging by the stamp inside one hull half! If you don't misinterpret Revell's typically dud instructions you will be ok. Fit of the aft end of the deck is a bit questionable, those cannon should align with the ports if you get it right... but a good kit compared to their bum-aching Cutty Sark which I am struggling with right now (see "in progress" here). No essential notes here, just that I always prime plastic with matt enamel (in this case sand colour) before painting with acrylic. Stand is scrap mahogany, the supplied one poses a danger to ship and crew!

One thing that strikes me is that it's impossible to build a truly "accurate" model of a ship, especially a sailing ship, because they were refitted and even rebuilt so frequently. THis one is really just a representation.

50072966692_5374d94139_k.jpg

50072715136_10a06123e8_h.jpg

50072150233_0339b6169e_h.jpg

50072961922_b2124b26c1_h.jpg

50072961142_fc6897addb_h.jpg

That's it for the time being...

• Like 16

Very nice! I built the larger version (1/96) many years ago (the only square rigged ship I’ve managed to finish), so I know how much work is involved. Even harder in smaller scales like yours.