Fujimi Ford GT40 MKII

Fantastic work Andy.

It's interesting to see such a beautiful result with Tamiya X1.  I've always struggled to get Tamiya gloss finishes to fully harden (to the extent that masking tape will matt the finish).  Have you ever had problems like that?  I'd much rather use an acrylic paint than my usual gloss enamels, so I must try again using your recipe!

Cheers

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Fantastic work Andy.

It's interesting to see such a beautiful result with Tamiya X1.  I've always struggled to get Tamiya gloss finishes to fully harden (to the extent that masking tape will matt the finish).  Have you ever had problems like that?  I'd much rather use an acrylic paint than my usual gloss enamels, so I must try again using your recipe!

Cheers

Hi Cliff , the tamiya paints both the X and the XF range spray beautifully with the mr colour leveling thinner, as good if not better than any other paint on the market imo. As for masking on top of the paint I always de- tac the tape before use and leave the paint alone for at least 24hrs before applying. The pic below shows a build I completed a while ago painted exclusively with tamiya paints and a car that required a lot of masking and colour changes 

spacer.png

I'm pretty certain that the leveling thinner helps the paint dry quicker though that's just my opinion. Mix the paint 50/50 with the leveling thinner and give it a go I'd be interested to hear about your results 🙂. Hope this helps 

Regards Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm glad to have found this again, Andy J, as I've just got one of these kits. As I weighed my options in the local model shop I remembered good results on BM,.... And this is IT! 

Mine will not be in same category when I get round to building it, most notably in the gloss finish bodywork dept, but it's good to know that the kit itself is OK and the rest be down to me. 

I've never done a Fujimi, but first glance in the box looks pretty good. 

Thanks for taking the time to post all this, 😎

• Thanks 1