Fujimi Ford GT40 MKII

11 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Wow - the Bruce McLaren/Chris Amon 1966 Le Mans winning car!

Following with great interest - thanks.

A kit that's been in my stash for a few years, I'm really keen to see how to do the black finish.

My enamel idea would be Humbrol 21 Gloss Black as I used for this Airfix Hawk.

I've read the Haynes GT40 manual, watched the film, all the documentaries - and really felt for Ken Miles.

That 1966 race was a such a story, the film glosses over the hard work and committment that made it happen.

A red GT40 held the outright lap record for several years at Castle Coombe, I saw it win several times - epic stuff.

Welcome aboard I can see you have a great interest in this car and rightly so a beautiful car with a wonderful history 🙂

So the latest update on this build and it doesn't seem a lot for a couple of days work. The interior is finished and I tried to add some interest to the seats by adding the silver details a time consuming job but worth it I think. The wheels are done I painted the spokes burnt iron which doesn't show up  very well in the pic but actually looks ok in real light. The replacement decals should be here tomorrow so I can move on and get the shell finished. Here are the latest pics of the build 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I'm getting there steadily and happy with progress so far. Thanks for looking be back soon 🙂

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

I like your device holding the bodywork for painting. Following with interest.

It's a Tamiya paint stand a great piece of kit for car bodys and other types of model kits 🙂

• Like 3

Nice work on that. I can sympathise with you the interior though, for me they always seem to take a lot of time to achieve results which makes it even more annoying when you put the body on and hide half of the work you did!

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Nice work on that. I can sympathise with you the interior though, for me they always seem to take a lot of time to achieve results which makes it even more annoying when you put the body on and hide half of the work you did!

Absolutely right but at least we know the details are there 🙂

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

NIce chairs Andy!! In fact nice interior all round - wheels looking good too!

Keith

Thanks Keith not much detail as such in the kit interior but I think there will be plenty in my next build 😉

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Those seats are unreal!!! Very cool!!! 

Thanks glad you like them worth the effort I think 🙂

• Like 1

So today's short session after work was all about the decals in particular the replacement shunko decals. I think it was Spiny who mentioned that these decals are thick and he wasn't kidding. Anyway I've managed to apply them to the shell and I think they look ok infact now I can see a GT40 coming together 🙂 I will let them settle down now for 24 hrs and then get the clear coat applied 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 2k clear should cover them nicely and help blend everything together. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 17

Good work on the decalling, but you might want to give it 2-3 days to make absolutely sure the decals are fully dried out - last thing you want to do is trap some moisture under the clearcoat.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:48 PM, Andy J said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I'm getting there steadily and happy with progress so far. Thanks for looking be back soon 🙂

Andy, your usual fine work on one of my favorites. Major complaint: 1/12 would be better. 1/8 would be MUCH better. :devil:

OK disregard my usual cry-baby-for-big-scales rant.

But I DO have a tiny nit to pick - those seat grommets. They are grommets - yours look like flat washers. They do look 'in scale' but a touch of flat black on a toothpick tip in their centers would make them 'real' . Here is chassis 1076 in the day - got the patience for that??

1076d-Custom.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Good work on the decalling, but you might want to give it 2-3 days to make absolutely sure the decals are fully dried out - last thing you want to do is trap some moisture under the clearcoat.

Good point and noted will take the advice thank you 🙂

10 minutes ago, Codger said:

Andy, your usual fine work on one of my favorites. Major complaint: 1/12 would be better. 1/8 would be MUCH better. :devil:

OK disregard my usual cry-baby-for-big-scales rant.

But I DO have a tiny nit to pick - those seat grommets. They are grommets - yours look like flat washers. They do look 'in scale' but a touch of flat black on a toothpick tip in their centers would make them 'real' . Here is chassis 1076 in the day - got the patience for that??

1076d-Custom.jpg

Absolutely toothpick and black paint have been put on standby. It will be difficult at this scale as I used a toothpick to paint the silver however I have a plan 🙂

Regarding the larger scale well my next build is infact 1/12 which I'm already looking forward to and I've already built it in my head if you get what I mean 😉 Finally that interior from 1076 is to die for I would by the car for the interior alone. Thanks for the comments and I will sort the seats 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So today's update is pretty small tbf however it's still progress so here we go. Following a comment from codger yesterday about the seat grommets I decided to see if I could add the missing detail. These grommets at this scale are very small however I  managed to add the missing black centre's and I think it definitely adds to the look of the seats. Nice idea Mr C worth the effort as it only took a few minutes and adds interest to the interior 🙂 The front wheels are now in place and I'm happy with the way they look so all in all I'm happy with the way this build is going. Here's the latest pics 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks again for looking and hopefully I'll have the shell clear coated tomorrow. Back soon 🙂

• Like 12

Beautiful patient work. Great detail in so small a scale.

Now if I can further annoy you with un-asked for tips, you can 'dstress' the tires a bit and get 'realistic' results too. :whip:

Goodyear race tires never had bright white, neat letters. They were race tires designed to sell the tire product to spectators and thrown out after every race. The tires had raised outlines molded in and then some lad at the factory slapped a stencil over the letters and blasted on a crummy cheap paint used primarily to paint lines on the highway. It was never bright white and turned increasingly darker shades of tan with use, heat and brake dust. No care was taken for neatness. The paint began to crack with tire flexing when mounting. I tried to show this to some degree on my GT-40 scruffy track rat:

55-Medium.jpg

Here's a perfect example in the Shelby Museum:

wpbd272fa1-0f-Custom.jpg

You can do it with your steady hand and a little light tan or khaki acrylic.

My own Goodyears, seen here newly installed right from the tire distrubutor (Roger Kraus Racing) show the condition. These are the back side and half the paint scuffed off on the tire machine and cracked away already. They have aged a bit tan just in storage before purchase. Note the overspray:

P1240012-Custom.jpg

Here after a little street driving are the front side, just slightly turning tan. I have cleaned up the overspray with lacquer thinner but left the scuffs and cracking.

P9030034.jpg

Overall, the tire would be more matte brown/black than your OOB tires and the tread surface would be a medium dark gray. And no center seam.

I know you may not want this look for your model but remember this was an endurance racer and only became a spotless museum queen later in life. / C

• Like 3

Right ok first off your tips are in no way annoying infact the total opposite. Your tips are a form of encouragement and have been gained through experience again nothing wrong with that. However I'm done painting grommets for a while so please no more grommets everything else is fair game 🙂 Right so the tyres I can do that infact it will give me a chance to play with some new products ive got. I can distress the tyres but the bodywork nope not a chance that's just a personal preference 🙂

Those seats are the only real pieces of furniture I've ever dealt with however I did have a brief relationship with a checkout girl from the local IKEA that came to an abrupt end after around a month due to one of her legs falling off 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today's update and I'm happy with what I've achieved today a good session at the bench and some decent results. First up the tyres and having taken on board the comments made by codger I decided to have a go at making them look a bit more worn. At this scale it's not so easy and I think these details are better served on a larger scale kit however I've had a shot and the results can be seen below 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I definitely think the tyres look much better now another thumbs up for Mr C 🙂

The next step was to apply the clear coat to the shell which went well and the results can be seen below 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So there we go another step forward and another step closer to starting my next project which I'm very excited about. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

You certainly don't suck at laying down a pretty darn decent clearcoat mister... 

Thanks Jeroen plenty of practice is the key my friend and as you know I do indeed get lots of practice 🙂

• Haha 1