Fujimi Ford GT40 MKII

Hi there so onto my next build another Ford and a pretty iconic one at that. I haven't got a GT40 in my collection and thought it was about time I put that right. This is another fairly basic kit but hopefully I can make it look ok when finished. Ive been told by a fellow modeller on this site that the kit decals are thin and transparent so my plan is to try them out and if they don't look right I'll remove them and buy some aftermarket replacements. Having removed the seam lines from the shell and added the various body parts required I've given the shell three coats of mr surfacer 1500 grey and that will be left overnight to dry before applying the basecoat which will be Tamiya X1 black. The first pic shows the shell before primer and the next two after the primer has been applied 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all I've managed today but hopefully more to come over the weekend. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

Yep, looks like a MKII!

Watching with interest...

Rick.

Welcome aboard Rick glad to have you along 🙂

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeroen tbf running a wip whilst working on a build is no hassle infact it's quite enjoyable 🙂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeroen tbf running a wip whilst working on a build is no hassle infact it's quite enjoyable 🙂

I'm glad you figured that one out 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

That's all I've managed today but hopefully more to come over the weekend. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

"That's all I've managed today..." - you've probably achieved more there than I do most days. Looks a good base for the top coats and it looks as though you got everything cleaned up enough that the primer didn't reveal more issues like it usually does for me.

17 minutes ago, Spiny said:

"That's all I've managed today..." - you've probably achieved more there than I do most days. Looks a good base for the top coats and it looks as though you got everything cleaned up enough that the primer didn't reveal more issues like it usually does for me.

My idea when building a kit is to go through each stage once only. For example when I removed the seam lines today I went from 400 grit to start with to 600 800 1000 3000 5000 and finally 7000. Overkill maybe but by the time I've finished the shell is as smooth if not smoother than what I started with. Then the primer three coats of mr surfacer 1500 leaves me enough thickness of paint to work with. Next step will be to lightly dry sand the shell with 3000 5000 7000 grit sandpaper till water beads off the surface. Then the basecoat and on it goes throughout every step till the build is finished. I'm no expert by any means but I know that preparation is the key to a good build. My point is that it only takes a little more time to do things properly and that small amount of time actually saves me loads of time over the length of a build. Hope this makes sense 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I'm no expert by any means but I know that preparation is the key to a good build. My point is that it only takes a little more time to do things properly and that small amount of time actually saves me loads of time over the length of a build. Hope this makes sense 🙂

You certainly are and it certainly does....:devil:

9 minutes ago, Codger said:

You certainly are and it certainly does....:devil:

Well it would make perfect sense to you my friend one look at your Rolls tells me that 🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Oops ,late to the party Andy, but I'm here now! Smooth looking primer again!

Keith

Hi mate well you haven't missed much tbh glad to have you on board 👍

• Like 1

So limited time today due to my son buying a new flat screen TV and me ending up fixing it to his bedroom wall. Whatever happened to putting a tv on a table? Progress I suppose 🙄 Anyway the GT40 is now black again thanks to three coats of Tamiya X1 mixed 50/50  with mr colour leveling thinner. The surface should be good enough for the decals so the clear coat will once again be applied over the decals as I did with my last build. On the subject of the decals I've made the decision to use aftermarket replacements as on close inspection they are indeed very thin and on top of a black basecoat I feel I would be wasting my time using them. Here's a couple of pics of the shell as it stands today 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully I'll get a bit more time at the bench tomorrow but I'm happy with progress so far. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good Andy, nice and shiny already!

Keith

Thanks Keith I did consider using zero paints jet black but the results lately from the Tamiya paints tipped the balance plus I have loads of Tamiya paint in stock that needs to be used 🙂

• Like 1

Another excellent choice to build! The basics of the Fujimi MkII is good, and you are making excellent work.

If you are going for aftermarket replacement decals I would look at Rennaisance. They are usually high quality, and on their sheet you will get the two McLaren logos for the door windows and the silver fern for the right wing, both omitted by Fujimi and Shunko.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info regarding the decals chaps but ive already ordered the shunko decals I guess I'll have to live with the missing ones 🙂

13 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I want one of these kits so bad I can taste it! 

That's a great looking coat of paint on that car Andy. I'll be watching this one!! 

Thank you and welcome aboard 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

That is some smoooooth paint!

Thanks good old Tamiya X1 I can't believe I neglected these paints for so long they really do spray beautifully. 

• Like 1

Wow - the Bruce McLaren/Chris Amon 1966 Le Mans winning car!

Following with great interest - thanks.

A kit that's been in my stash for a few years, I'm really keen to see how to do the black finish.

My enamel idea would be Humbrol 21 Gloss Black as I used for this Airfix Hawk.

I've read the Haynes GT40 manual, watched the film, all the documentaries - and really felt for Ken Miles.

That 1966 race was a such a story, the film glosses over the hard work and committment that made it happen.

A red GT40 held the outright lap record for several years at Castle Coombe, I saw it win several times - epic stuff.