Airbrush Sucking Air

binbrook87

Not sure if anyone has experienced this problem. I have a couple of Sparmax airbrushes 0.4mm and 0.2mm and both have started to make a loud 'sucking air' noise then a kind of 'clunk' when spraying...rather than the smooth hiss on and off you usually hear. Also the paint seems to be bubbling in the cup from time to time. They're just no smooth action any longer. I've cleaned and recleaned, stripped down but still the same problem. Seals perhaps gone somewhere? 

Hi, Paint bubbling back into the cup can be because of a damage/split nozzle or clogged nozzle.

What paints, thinners, retarder, cleaners are you using???? 

Have you checked the nozzle for any damage/splits on the end?  Have you checked that the needles are OK, not bent and are in the right brush? 

• Like 1

Check the seals. They might not be seated properly or they might be pinched. Also check if the clearance between the nozzle and the nozzle cover is correct. Check the inside of the nozzle cover for dried out paint that might be obstructing the airflow.

Hi both. Thanks for your replies. I'm using Vallejo, Tamiya and Gunze acrylics and then I strip down and clean either with appropriate thinners or cleaner or more often with window cleaner then thoroughly flush out with water every time i use them then leave stripped down while it dries out. I can't see any blockages at all. The needles are new replacements so not bent and i can't see obvious splits in the nozzle....it looks ok. It seems that when you push down for air it doesn't sound right somehow.

Don's Airbrush Tips is another source of authoritative advice.

I will note that my own experience with air bubbling in the cup is due to air leakage in the nozzle, hence the questions about the nozzle and needle. Another possibility is leakage past the threaded nozzle head on some airbrushes; some beeswax will seal that.

• Thanks 1

Your cleaning looks a little suspect . I suspect this is  causing some of the problems.

Vallejo doesn't work that  with solvent based cleaner, it can gel and form a movable blob in the nozzle that can cause blowback.

I would clean the brushes, take the nozzles off and check for any paint gel with a magnifier.

When you use a paint range, use the manufacturers thinner & cleaner.  

If you change to a different paint type flush the brush with lots of water to get rid of any traces from the previous paint type.

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 15:54, little-cars said:

When you use a paint range, use the manufacturers thinner & cleaner.  

Completely agree with using a manufacturers thinner but not sure about cleaner. Did you mean that?

And to answer @binbrook87 I can recommend Ultimate Airbrush Cleaner. That's after I had a small problem sorted out:

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

And to answer @binbrook87 I can recommend Ultimate Airbrush Cleaner. That's after I had a small problem sorted out:

Great stuff. Thanks. I've ordered both the cleaner and thinner today so I'll give them both a try. 👍

• Like 1