Hurricane Mk.I, 303 Squadron, W. Urbanowicz -- Finished!

Here we go!

The obligatory unboxing.

rf-f-start2.jpg

rf-f-start3.jpg

rf-f-start6.jpg

And here's the Techmod profile

rf-f-start7.jpg

I also have the Hurricane Mk.I (A05127) instructions to guide me. 

• Like 13

Airfix claims Humbrol 78, Cockpit Green, for the frame behind the seat in both the Mk.I and Mk.I Tropical kits. This screen shot from HAWKER HURRICANE during WWII in Colour @ 2:15 shows black. How say you?

t-O8ui1-Wt9-Nc-2-24.jpg

Edit: Per @Troy Smith's response here, I can just ignore this! :) Once again, photographic evidence is immensely useful, except when it's not.

Mr Color's WWII RAF Standard Color Set for Aircraft Early Period & Desert Camo set arrived on Friday. Now I have Sky & Dark Earth for this build.

rf-f-paint.jpg

It seems I got the "modeler's" boxing as some cockpit parts featured consipicuously placed ejector pin marks. I used the #5 Waldron punch for filler disks.

rf-f-cockpit0.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1200 ensures they're nicely covered by paint. In any event, turns out I didn't need to fill all of them.

rf-f-cockpit1.jpg

With the work done, the cockpit could be assembled. I painted the one bit of Interior Green and covered it with MSI Micro Mask so I can paint the rest of the assembly. I probably use Mr Color Silver, C8.

rf-f-cockpit2.jpg

The control stick was broken on the sprue (recall, this is the modeler's boxing). Assembly aligned the 2 parts quite nicely, so the break is barely visible. 

rf-f-cockpit4.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 5

Have the cockpit and wings assembled. I used India Ink for a wash. There are still a couple of details to tend to in the cockpit.

rf-f-cockpit5.jpg

I wasted my time filling in these ejection pin marks that are completely hidden.

rf-f-cockpit7.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The fuselage is closed up. Here's the Yahu IP; these always look very good.

rf-f-fuselage0.jpg

I used a Eduard RAF Early harness. I'll need to trim the upper harness.

rf-f-fuselage1.jpg

Here's the harness installed

rf-f-fuselage2.jpg

And the mostly complete airframe. I'll work on the wing trailing edge before attaching the ailerons.

rf-f-fuselage3.jpg

And some empennage issues to fix.before I attach the rudder.

rf-f-fuselage4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 9

Looks like yours is coming along nicely @dnl42. No sign of the wing to body fit issues that some of us are having. Mine didn’t have that tail sink mark, however that’s an easy fix. Looking good. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:10 AM, dnl42 said:

Here's the Yahu IP; these always look very good.

They do seem to have set a new standard.

Your Hurricane is looking good.

• Like 1

Thanks @Jabba, @Rabbit Leader, and @Johnson.

I did indeed have wing-fuselage fit issues that took some time to address. The trio of sink marks have been fixed. The primer coat will show if additional work is needed.

rf-f-fuselage7.jpg

Dry-fitting the clear lenses on the wing show a good fit. I'll paint the wing tips bulbs, attach all 4 clear bits, coat with MSI Micro Mask, and proceed to priming. 

• Like 1

Here are the lights.  I'm used to struggling with these to get a good fit, but this dropped right into place! :yahoo:

The tip lights were back-drilled with a #73 drill and then filled with The Army Painter Warpaints; a Molotov Liquid Chrome pen backed the color.

rf-f-lights0.jpg

rf-f-lights1.jpg

The backs of the landing lights were painted with the Liquid Chrome pen.

rf-f-lights2.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

@Jabba, thanks!!

I put more detail into the radiator scoop.

rf-f-radiator-rear1.jpg

Current state: the underside is Sky (Mr Color C368), the topsides are Dark Green (Mr Color C32), and the other bits are mostly painted.

rf-f-darkgreen.jpg

Tomorrow's plan is apply Dark Earth (Mr Color C369) with the help of Arma's camo masks scaled to 150%.

Monday's plan is a smoked packer brisket, baked beans, macaroni salad, cole slaw, Jalapeño poppers, and adult beverages.

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 7

@Greg Law, I do hope so!

I drilled out the exhaust stacks. The rear-most was simple to drill; I started with a #75 drill and stepped up to a #66. The forward exhausts are oblong (flattened?). I first drilled them out straight and then drilled them off-axis with a #73 drill to produce a more oblong hole.

rf-f-exhausts2.jpg

• Like 3

Decals are on. They're very thin and the carrier film is already invisible. It was best to apply the decals as close as possible to their final location. Moving them demanded a gentle touch and quite a bit of patience. Both upper roundels need some minor repairs. I also contrived to turn the well-documented chalk marking on the fuselage into a little decal wad. I have it sitting in a little water hoping against hope it will magically unfurl. After it unfurls, or I give up, a coat of Mr Color gloss clear (C-46) will be applied before a panel line wash.

rf-f-decals.jpg

All the other parts ready for final assembly. I'm a little surprised by the MLG attachment as it appears they just butt-join to the bottom of the wing structure. I was looking to see if I had accidentally cut off a locating pin at the top of the MLG strut that could have provided a better mechanical joint, but that doesn't appear to be the case. :shrug:

rf-f-painted.jpg

-- 

dnl

• Like 4

Thanks @Jabba and @mick!

That decal wad refused to comply. Beyond my ham-fisted mangling of the chalk decal, the Techmod decals performed wonderfully!!

With that, I gloss coated it, applied Vallejo Grey Model Wash, and gave it a coat of Microscale Industries Micro Flat.

rf-f-flatcoat.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-- 

dnl

• Like 3