Fairey Gannet AS4(COD)

12 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Graeme,

your Gannet came out really well 👍 Good to see that you rescued this kit and made someting out of it, otherwise it may have ended in the bin eventually. As simple as older kits are, they are often still a good base for a nice build.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus.  I have to agree; the challenge of the basic kit gives me a lot of satisfaction when I complete something that looks the part.

Cheers

Graeme  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbay133 said:

Thanks.  I think that the images make it look better than it really is.  I like doing the older kits, it's a little bit more of a challenge  and I think that they are a bit more forgiving with the finish than the fine detail in newer kits.  At the end of the day if you are happy with your end result, that is all that matters. 

Cheers

Graeme

Totally agree.  When I build a state of the art I look at it and compare it to work on here and think why do I bother!   However with older kits I get a real buzz out of my fictitious “busying” of wheel wells and cockpits!  However, as you say I am happy with my work if just a bit disappointed with my glacial improvement!  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dbay133 said:

Thanks Mark.

Thanks Grizzly.  The detail I have found have XA466 as a COD 4.  I don't know when it went in to the Sky/EDSG scheme, but the pic referenced above shows it in this scheme in June '76.  It was resprayed at RNAY Fleetlands in June 1978.  As it was struck off in December '78, I would presume that this was when it returned to RAFBG..  It must have been in the Sky/EDSG scheme for at least a couple of years.  It is still in the RAFBG scheme at the FAAM Yeovilton.

Cheers

Graeme

Yes it returned to RAFBG I have pictures of it on farewell flight from Lossiemouth in this scheme. Which she still has at the FAA museum. 

• Like 1