Matchbox Westland Lysander

I first built this kit waaaaaay back in 1980. That was the year I started secondary school. So did I build it in my last few months of primary school, the summer holidays, or my first few months of secondary school? I can't be sure (it was 40 years ago!), but I think I built it no later than the summer. These things matter to me! One thing is for sure, I didn't build it at Christmas.

I have the Revell "classic" re-box in the stash. But that's not what I'm building here. I managed to pick up the original Matchbox kit for free, as it had already been started by the previous owner. Also, one of the pilot figures was missing, the barrel of the Lewis rear machine gun was broken off, and its base was missing. I had also decided I would complete it in Irish Air Corps (No. 1 Fighter Squadron) markings, using spare decals from an Airfix Hurricane Mk. I:

DSC00913_dr_025.jpg

DSC00914_dr_020.jpg

The missing pilot is no big deal, as I never really liked the old Matchbox crew figures anyway. While I could have used some spare Airfix figures, I decided to keep these for future use.

I completely repainted the cockpit, shaping a piece from the spare box as a new rear MG base. Representing the ammo drums on this ... tricky, very tricky. Too tricky. I also added a rudimentary instrument panel, not shown here. The canopy framing is best painted before assembly, as otherwise the wings will be an obstruction. So far, I've done the first pass at the undercoat (Hu 78 interior green, same as the cockpit). That is obviously going to take a while, especially as it's best done in good natural light, of which there is very little at the moment.

DSC00930_dre_020.jpg

The enclosed fuselage halves. In reality, the cockpit interior was way more complex, so no point in trying to go to town on this.

DSC00942_dre_025.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Great stuff. It should look super in the irish markings

I may end up painting the underwing stripes, rather than using the Hurricane decals, but it will be easy if I go that route.

Got one in the stash, must build it sometime as it looks so quirky, but at the same time it looks purposeful.

Cheers

Dennis

On 7/3/2020 at 4:43 PM, klr said:

I may end up painting the underwing stripes, rather than using the Hurricane decals, but it will be easy if I go that route.

I have done a couple of aircraft in Irish markings and have used Tamiya Orange X-6) and Humbrol Emerald Green (gloss No.2) which seem to look about 'right'.  The Walrus can be found at the link below if you want to have a quick check to see if it would suit the Lysander if you choose to paint the stripes.

• Thanks 1

OK, I've finally managed to make some more progress. The engine/cowling unit is not yet attached. I am a bit worried that the engine block is not securely attached to the cowling, so I might insert a disc of plastic behind it. The propeller is a snug fit into the engine, and I can just plug it in once I'm finished. Hopefully, the tailplanes, spats and stub wings are all attached at the correct angle.

DSC00946_dre_025.jpg

I broke the tail wheel at the first attempt to attach it. It seems OK now, fingers crossed. There was a fair amount of filler required around the tail area.

DSC00947_dr_020.jpg

So the next block of work is to complete and attach the front section, and then get back to work on the canopy framing.

• Like 7

On 7/5/2020 at 12:12 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good so far. I think the cockpit detail is OK as it stands. Even if you were minded to, any extra detailing you put in wouldn’t show up through the canopy.

Regards,

Adrian

Yes, that my thinking as well. The Dora Wings Lysander looks to be a very good kit in this scale, with impressive cockpit detail and lots more besides. But I'm determined to build the Matchbox and Airfix Lysanders in my stash regardless.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:46 AM, Natter said:

I have done a couple of aircraft in Irish markings and have used Tamiya Orange X-6) and Humbrol Emerald Green (gloss No.2) which seem to look about 'right'.  The Walrus can be found at the link below if you want to have a quick check to see if it would suit the Lysander if you choose to paint the stripes.

Thanks, I was thinking maybe Humbrol 101 (matt) for the green, but I'll test it against Humbrol 02. I don't have Tamiya paints. If Humbrol or Revell oranges (gloss or matt) are not good enough, I may have to do some mixing. But none of that may be required if my spare underwing stripes from the Airfix Hurricane can be cut to fit. The one thing I do need to address is the large codes on the sides of the fuselage. These are in a quite rare typeface, and may have to be hand-painted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking like only a Lysander can already!

Regards,

Adrian

... albeit with a higher wing loading than even an F-104 Starfighter, until such time as the main wings get attached. 😀

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2020 at 2:34 AM, dogsbody said:

I should have posted this earlier, but I'm old and slowly loosing it!

38308994575_68c623a334_o.jpg

Chris

... and I should have replied earlier! The question is: Just what is wrong with the Matchbox main undercarriage? Too long maybe?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the broken tail wheel strut 🤔

Can you drill it and insert a wire pin - in spite of my arthritic hands I can sometimes do that. Of course you need a set if very fine drills, a suitable pin vice and some piano wire, or maybe just a pin/needle. Never built this kit so I have no idea what the undercarriage is like.

Good luck,

Pete

I built this a couple of times. If I remember rightly, I added a fuel tank from the cross section of a Frog Javelin drop tank and put it in the cockpit framing and I added a pick up hook as I was doing an army co operation machine.

Trevor 

1 hour ago, klr said:

... and I should have replied earlier! The question is: Just what is wrong with the Matchbox main undercarriage? Too long maybe?

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the broken tail wheel strut 🤔

If I remember from my mid 70's build, it's easy to get the gear out of alignment, with one ( or both ) too far off to the side. I know mine sat a bit wonky on the port side.

That will also through off the wing struts/wing dihedral.

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

If I remember from my mid 70's build, it's easy to get the gear out of alignment, with one ( or both ) too far off to the side. I know mine sat a bit wonky on the port side.

That will also through off the wing struts/wing dihedral.

Chris

Cheers. I'm satisfied I've gotten them attached at the correct angle, along with the stub wings for the bombs, and the tail planes. I always go to great pains to get angles right, or at least as right as I can!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This build seems plagued with issues, First, I left the turpentine-soaked tip of a cotton bud come into contact with the starboard wing leading edge, causing it to be partly eaten away. I've sanded down the damage, and must now decide if the leading edge should be built up again with a layer of my thinnest plastic card ... or if it can be left be.

Then, the cockpit. The base was seemingly not wide enough, meaning it was not attached to one side of the fuselage, meaning that the seats & the frame between them looked very much askew. As this might have affected the attachment of the wings, I removed everything yesterday, built up the sides of the base, and re-attached it. When I re-attach the frame, I'll make damned sure it's sitting straight up this time.

DSC01038_dr_020.jpg

• Like 7