I have some trade for you over Maidstone

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

So cool, what a project so far - I really like the 110 pilot posed to jump.

Thanks Cookie,

not being an avid aircraft modeller, I'm really happy how it's all turning out. My next task is to find some tubeIng to give some support when I've mounted the Spitfire.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy. Hope you and yours are well. Looks like you have been making excellent progress since last time I was here. It all seems to coming together superbly! I like the idea of the LED sets. I must try and get hold of some! Brilliant modelling as always! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Late catch up here, great build! Looking forward to following the rest.

Thanks Johnson,

better late han never, I've still got a fair bit to do so plenty of posts to come.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. Hope you and yours are well. Looks like you have been making excellent progress since last time I was here. It all seems to coming together superbly! I like the idea of the LED sets. I must try and get hold of some! Brilliant modelling as always! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

were all good down hope your ok up there.

The 110 went together really well and so is the Spitfire, I do enjoy an aircraft build brakes up all those individual track links. The LEDs have worked out really well a Lot easier than if I had brought all the Individual bits, the wiring has worked out better than my first attempt when I melted the wheel of the 109 a few years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

This is coming on a treat ozzy, your setting a brilliant scene👍

Thanks Glynn,

I’ve since put a flory models wash over the 110 and will be putting some holes in the wing to represent the .303 rounds that have hit the engine.

• Like 1

Ive spent the morning adding bullet holes in the wing of the 110, I did it with a heated drill bit just popping it through the plastic. I as thought the Spitfire needed some colour, so rather than add the insignia last I've added it first. I used Tamyia yellow for the outer roundels and Vallejo Prussian blue for the blue, the white and red will be both tamiya paint.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

I've had a really productive day I popped down town to get some essential bits, some paint, airbrush cleaner and some aluminium tube. I used as a sleeve for the rod coming from the 110, I also got a bit of brown on I used dark earth UA 547  once it had dried I got the paint masks on for scheme A. There are 2 greens in the set a dark green UA 546 and a light green UA 548, I opted for the lighter green as the dark green didn't look right. I also got the prop fitted and spins nicely, I just need to paint the underside before the grand un valeing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The light green.

image.jpg

The dark green.

• Like 8

Today the sky's the limit, I got the underside painted today with UA 095 again like the rest of the set went through the airbrush with ease. Once dry I couldn't wait any longer off with the masks, there was only a slight pit of paintwork to patch up. It's the first time I've used camouflage masks, I will definitely use them again I've just got the serial numbers to add.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Swift work, looking great!

Thanks Simon,

ive got a bit of time off and a teenage daughter who keeps herself occupied, I have got some 1:1 scale painting to do once the wife decideds on a colour. Until then I'm free to build models and watch war films.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Looking really good. The camouflage masks and markings are very effective!

Thanks Steve,

I pressed down hard enough as I had no bleed across like I did with the 110, the biggest challenge is yet to come in the form of flaming cotton wool.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

form of flaming cotton wool.

“Leave the flaming fighters, it’s the “ flaming cotton wool we want 

I think I know every line of the Battle of Britain film now...flaming cotton wool I am really looking forward to. The .303 holes are great, I like how it’s got the twisted ragged airframe bits all burst out, very effective.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

“Leave the flaming fighters, it’s the “ flaming cotton wool we want 

I think I know every line of the Battle of Britain film now...flaming cotton wool I am really looking forward to. The .303 holes are great, I like how it’s got the twisted ragged airframe bits all burst out, very effective.

"As long as I don't fly straight and level in th combat zone for more tha 30 seconds", my prop won't jam in the cotton wool and hopefully I'll get more than a "belly full of English Channel".

I used a heated drill bit to make the .303 holes, i brought a selection of oranges and reds to Tuesday to have a go. My wife brought me a large role of cotton wool, so can have plenty of practice.

• Like 1

Really great work Ozzy!

The camouflage masks worked very well and give the correct hard edges that the real masking mats gave to the paint at the time.

What red did you use for the roundels? I’ve ordered the Montex set for a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire that will be starting soon, so I may be using the masks for the roundels.

Cheers

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Really great work Ozzy!

The camouflage masks worked very well and give the correct hard edges that the real masking mats gave to the paint at the time.

What red did you use for the roundels? I’ve ordered the Montex set for a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire that will be starting soon, so I may be using the masks for the roundels.

Cheers

Thanks Johnson,

i hadn't released that matts were used in the painting, I used Tamiya red for the roundels. I do like using paint masks, definitely no slivering to deal with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

i hadn't released that matts were used in the painting

I suppose I should have added a 'AFAIK' in there. I read about it years ago and my memory is certainly fallible, But I expect @Troy Smith will know for sure.

Cheers,

Just been catching up on your excellent work Ozzy, and you say you're not an aircraft builder!

The 110 looks really good and the Spitfire pilot got pretty good grouping around that engine didn't he.

As for the Spitfire itself I am really impressed with how quickly you have got her together, and have done a great job of it too. The lifecolor paints have preformed flawlessly and your masking is superb. Did you use a commercially available mask set for the camouflage and the markings?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

If it’s not too late.... the starboard wing lines shouldn’t run down to the trailing edge - it should just be one straight line on the Mk 1 to Mk V Spits

Thanks Steve,

to late,

i should have read the instructions too as it was on the colour illustration that comes with the kit, I've brushed painted over my mishap hopefully with a wash over it. It won't look that bad.

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

I suppose I should have added a 'AFAIK' in there. I read about it years ago and my memory is certainly fallible, But I expect @Troy Smith will know for sure.

Cheers,

Thanks Johnson,

@SimonT has added a link, I shall have a read this afternoon.

6 hours ago, SimonT said:

If you are interested, good discussion at 

Thanks Simon,

i shall all have a read this afternoon, just with the title sounds an intresting read.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just been catching up on your excellent work Ozzy, and you say you're not an aircraft builder!

The 110 looks really good and the Spitfire pilot got pretty good grouping around that engine didn't he.

As for the Spitfire itself I am really impressed with how quickly you have got her together, and have done a great job of it too. The lifecolor paints have preformed flawlessly and your masking is superb. Did you use a commercially available mask set for the camouflage and the markings?

Thanks Craig,

well maybe not an active aircraft builder, just looking at my shelf situation next year I may switch to hone my aircraft modelling skills. having seen a number of pictures of shot down aircraft, they all looked to be peppered with bullet holes hopefully I recreated the peppering ok. Both the insignia and paint masks for the spitfire were from a fellow volunteer from Models For Heroes, he did make masks for a living before he retired. He had a dig about and found me these, as i struggled to find any Spitfire 1/48 insignia paint masks.

today I've done a bit of chipping and dirtying, I've not applying any varnish of a wash yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7