Glencoe 1/48 Republic Seabee

Personally I’m blaming @Moa for this :) 

What with him completing his spectacular kit salvage in 1/72 and me repainting and reorganising the modelling room and repeatedly coming across the Glancoe and then finally this

50070705013_ec7e4afe5e_c.jpg

Arriving in the post yesterday. I shall now attempt to make this.

50071266716_e3a3cc76d6_c.jpg

With the help of this and Moa’s WIP

50070694658_5b71e9bd36_c.jpg

Into this.

50071500311_23894b83d0_c.jpg

or this

50071500271_391c4dcaff_c.jpg
or this

50070937498_8f49577fdb_c.jpg
Or possibly some other colourscheme.

And hopefully it will be at least half as good as Moa’S build. :)  

Wish me luck.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 12

I also have this kit, but mine was moulded totally in clear plastic, it's quite brittle but usable with a UK registration decal. Good luck!

John

By the way if your clear plastic is Slaters Glazing, it won't vacform or push mould. It's only good for flat surfaces.

• Like 2

If you’re in search of further inspiration, there’s a great Richard Bach piece in(I think) A Gift of Wings, which introduced me to the Seabee (aka “The Flying Floating Summerhouse) when I was 13 or so... 

Here, in fact:

https://www.aeroclubcomo.com/Portals/0/PDF/Richard Bach - AirProgress May_1972.pdf

best,

M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Aero said:

By the way if your clear plastic is Slaters Glazing, it won't vacform or push mould. It's only good for flat surfaces.

It’s generic petg so I’m hopeful :) if all else fails I have a very small amount of moldable clear sheet and things like coke bottles are fairly good too once flattened.

Edited by Marklo

50072954997_b950691e4c_c.jpg

50072955002_1880e7a074_c.jpg
I have formulated a cunning plan. Step one take a silicone mold from the kit fuselage halves. Silicone sealant and washing up liquid, makes  a mouldable putty which cures in an hour or two.

• Like 1

50075051962_62f2295b72_c.jpg
Step two make a plaster cast. The tail didn’t work out but I only need the canopy area. Happy with that will let it cure a bit then time for surgery :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

I'm so glad Some Body is going to build this thing. It would be great to have in the display cabinet, yet this may be better experienced vicariously... :popcorn:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice, during the last year I gathered a small collection of such vintage kits as they are quite often the only option for some subjects. They are like vacforms, a basic shell and the builder has to add further detail if required and quite many are a really nice starting point.

Curious to see how your plan for the clear parts turn out.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

50083717357_e8fc2fe73b_c.jpg

50083717477_c805772fbc_c.jpg
After a very frustrating mornings molding session I have a set of useable transparencies. My Petg did not mold well and went opaque if  heated too much, wouldn’t vac form properly. I eventually resorted to a plunge mold with a heat gun and it worked.

Any suggestions for a clear sheet that reliably moulds ?

• Like 6

Looks good. As you know, PETG can be tricky to work with.  Clouded up on me a few times until realised I needed to turn the heat down.   Should get an oven thermometer as all the numbers worn off the dial.

Dennis

Good advice. I started with the grill and my vacuum box but ended up plunge molding with a heat gun. I had a stock of plastic that was used for blister packs and it was so easy to mold must try to figure out what it was.

50087670097_8dcdf8fb81_c.jpg

50087682247_72d01047db_c.jpg
Work on the Clear bits and the holes into which the will fit. I now have a reasonable beaching door made as well with the rest of the glazing in progress. Some bulkheads next.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

50226837336_21836c601d_c.jpg

50227063992_81fb91d786_c.jpg

50227063892_62f6929cc2_c.jpg
Now that the Campini is nearly finished, time to pick up on a few stalled projects, so started on an interior. I couldn’t find my profile gauge so I’m doing this by eye, thankfully I’m not too bad at it.

So, cabin floor, ceiling and rear bulkhead fitted. Needs some interior ribs and stringers next then seats and an ip.

• Like 6

This looks interesting Mark. Tell Mrs Marklo that her alien overlord has decreed that you spend more time in the Marklo cave.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

50229190856_9812a353f4_c.jpg

50229078811_7339bef9ed_c.jpg
Having looked through the web a bit, the interior is more family saloon car than airplane, the sidewalls are flush and the seats don’t even have seat belts. There is also much variation in ips from probably original 1947 dials to modern glass cockpits. Also there is so much variation I’m just going to do a representative interior not necessarily the correct one for my subject. So out with the super sculpey for some seats. 

• Like 3