Hurricane Mk.I

Hello everyone,

This is my entry into the GB; Airfix's big ole' Hurricane:

50071259731_b350cce460_b.jpg

50071512567_8a6b558d1b_b.jpg

Just a few little extras. A test fit of the kit showed some warping of the major components, hopefully not too bad so as to hinder the build.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Plenty of opportunities for super detailing Mark

Oh yes! also, hopefully a scratched starter trolley to go alongside it using some wheels which I had printed a while back:

50070817863_cc6ae0e8e0_b.jpg

I have a question for @Troy Smith, I wondered what his take on the colour of the spinner on P2923 VY.R of 85 Sqn was? There are so many different opinions, I am hoping to get the nod for the red and yellow, as I did build the kit as a kid with a red spinner and it was quite striking. P2923 has such a different looking scheme I'd like to do it is possible.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I wondered what his take on the colour of the spinner on P2923 VY.R of 85 Sqn was? There are so many different opinions, I am hoping to get the nod for the red and yellow, as I did build the kit as a kid with a red spinner and it was quite striking. P2923 has such a different looking scheme I'd like to do it is possible.

IMO, red with white stripes.

in some shots they could be yellow,  but seems 85 were using flight coloured spinners,  of note is that S/Ldr Peter Townsend's P3166/VY-Q has a white spinner,  which ties in with the flight coloured spinners, as in red, blue, yellow.  (17 Sq who were photographed at the same time/base also show coloured spinners) 

Never seen a reason for the bands,   flight leader?   If this is correct,  white is more likely than a mix of  flight colours.

The band are not visible on any other aircraft either.

this shot the stripes are a lighter tone than the roundel ring

46968284034_962c5eaef1_b.jpg85 Squadron 33 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

here the spinner is a good tonal match for the gun patches.  

large_000000.jpg?action=e%26cat=photogra

in this the spinner bands look darker than the roundel

47704866192_2dc7e30071_b.jpg85 Squadron 117 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

note the fresh paint behind the 'R' and gunk on lower fuselage.

there is a gallery of 85 Sq here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157704898371932/page1

with 20 + shots of P2923

there is also a 17 Sq album here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157678154026658

many from the same session in July 1940 at Debden and Castle Camps

Great for getting a feel of the airframes and little details.

HTH

• Like 4

Having seen what you can do with ancient Airfix 1/72 scale kits recently Mark i have no doubt that this will be an absolute stunner.

I really like the aircraft with the unusual demarcation between the upper and lower camo colours, will you be building one of those?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I really like the aircraft with the unusual demarcation between the upper and lower camo colours, will you be building one of those?

Since @MarkSH  sent me a notification, I presume he's looking at VY-R

FWIW, The reason for the non standard demarcation is these photos were taken not long after the order for Sky to be applied, the unusual demarcation is likely a quirk of the Debden airfield paintshop,  and that very unusually, due to Life magazine, we have a load of photos of both 85 Sq and and 17  Sq,  both of which I linked above,  which were sharing the airfield at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Having seen what you can do with ancient Airfix 1/72 scale kits recently Mark i have no doubt that this will be an absolute stunner.

Thanks Craig and yes I will be building it as VY.R as @Troy Smith suggested. It is fairly well documented (bar the spinner colour hence my question to Troy) and a little bit different from the norm, I've seen quite a few builds of it though all with differing takes on said spinner so its not exactly a unique subject but It does have the bonus of a bit of colour.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Always good to see these big Airfix kits being made and I'm sure you will turn out a real stunner Mark! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Tally-ho A flight!

Reference gathered:

2jjU6gn%5Dref

I put Pilot Officer Bod together seems a shame not to as he's quite nicely molded. However he's not going to get a starring role this time.

I sure that many of you will agree that of recent times the class act in the 1/24 Hurricane category was the excellent build by @The Spadgent a thread I enjoyed immensely in anticipation of this GB so I hope he'll forgive me referencing his effort in the course of this project.

Anyway......Starter trolley to scratch, a display base to plan, lots of detail to add to the Hurricane itself, masking to draw and cut out....where to begin?....with the parachute of course.

I decided that I wanted to stage the aircraft at readiness awaiting the "scramble!" and one of the images posted by @Troy Smith above (staged for Life magazine admittedly) shows the 'chute placed on the tail awaiting the sprinting pilot. 

So out with the Apoxie Sculpt and the kit seat for dimensions and I've fallen down the detailing black hole again:

50097209282_e797296855_b.jpg

This is going to be fun.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

I think you have drawn first blood amongst the big Hurricanes!

Beautiful work on the parachute and seat cushion, you are setting a high standard to follow, I am looking forward to watching this all come together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!!! That’s a stunner of a start. I’ll tag along if that’s ok. I’d love to see one of these come together from the other side of the fence. Good luck sir.

Johnny. 

ps. If you don’t mind me asking the apoxi sculpt? What is this magic stuff? I did a search but it looks super expensive. Is there a more pocket friendly variant? 

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

I don't know that much of this will be seen at the end but the depiction of the Merlin in the box is a mini-kit in its own right and deserves to be built:

50098388396_b0b9d7fd15_b.jpg

I filed off the molded wiring harness on the top of the block and replaced it with some thick soft metal for the loom and solder for the wires all blended in with some PVA.

50098388356_dfce4e264b_b.jpg

50098615932_62a0f5e24c_b.jpg

And some extra wiring on the righthand side.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow!!! That’s a stunner of a start. I’ll tag along if that’s ok. I’d love to see one of these come together from the other side of the fence. Good luck sir.

Johnny. 

ps. If you don’t mind me asking the apoxi sculpt? What is this magic stuff? I did a search but it looks super expensive. Is there a more pocket friendly variant? 

Basically it is similar in usage to Milliput. I have had problems with the shelf life of Milliput before but not so with Apoxy Sculpt. I have a 227g pot each of the A & B compound which I have had for donkey's years, still good to use and probably saving money on the wastage with Milliput.

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

Small update, I have started work on the Trolley Accumulator:

I got the plans off tinterweb and then discovered they were inside the font cover of the Gerald Scarborough book...:doh:

50116094121_ea229c7eaf_3k.jpg

...anyway...the main box structure,

50116094071_f412b140c8_3k.jpg

The 3D printed wheels are spot on for scale.

50116094196_250d01c49e_4k.jpg

And the main box lid and the secondary front box added.

So you know that detailing black hole I mentioned, well it appears that I have reached the event horizon as odd things are starting to happen such as this chair suddenly blinking into existence:

50116094051_aed6f058fd_k.jpg

All part of the dio set dressing, I have a plan for the recumbent 'erk who is to occupy the chair but that may not get off the ground so to speak, we'll see.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

Afternoon all,

Carrying on with construction of the Trolley, Accumulator. The basic construction is now complete: 

50126257947_e3f4c23c7d_b.jpg

50126036526_1ceb65b854_b.jpg

50125473453_07ebac59a7_b.jpg

I'm now adding all the various bits and bobs:

50125462733_29fff554ef_b.jpg

Towing eye, side cable trays and axles (wheels not yet affixed)

50125462838_437b5b15bb_b.jpg

Lid springs and fire extinguisher + bracket.  Jockey wheel underway at the moment.

As well as the Trolley Acc., a start has been made on the groundcrew bod who will be patiently waiting (40 winks) for the scramble shout. Now this represents a completely new type of modelling for me and so I expect a few false starts, but it's something I've been itching to have a go at for some time. whenever I get a bit of free time I've been watching YouTube vids on sculpting and miniature modelling and I now feel comfortable with having a go.....:

50125462628_fe20becc8e_b.jpg

The armature for Bod Mk.I.   It looks a little large next to the 72mm image mainly because I put it next to the wrong image, its actually closer to 75mm.

50126258027_3f0296fe4e_b.jpg

As the rather ghoulish image above shows, I have every intention of cheating by using the face and hands of my Hurricane pilot. But it also shows the type of pose I'm trying to achieve.

I suppose that at some point I really should do some more work on the main subject of the build.....but I'm having too much fun at the moment.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Wow Mark.

You really are going above and beyond with this one, difficult to know where to start!

The trolley Acc is superb, the wheels really do look very good.

The chair is probably the best piece of scratchbuilding I have ever seen, it really does look like you have just shrunk a real one.

And now you are taking figure moulding to new heights, I like what you are doing with the pose, a natural relaxed one of a very tired pilot.

This is a brilliant thread already and you haven't started on the actual aircraft itself yet! Apart from the very nicely detailed Merlin that is.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Chaps,

20 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you haven't started on the actual aircraft itself yet! Apart from the very nicely detailed Merlin that is.

I know Craig, I really must get on with the meat of the build, I just need to tidy up the Buccaneer GB as well and then its on with the Hurri' plus still busy with work (not complaining!) and an imminent week away with the Wife for our 30th Anniv' ( :hmmm:perhaps I can take my figure sculpting project with me....on second thoughts maybe not!)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Afternoon everyone,

Apologies to all, I just checked and its been over a month since I posted anything at all. Work has been and continues to be crazy busy and as stated before; I ain't complaining.  Obviously the downside is lack of time and necessary energy to divert to modelling,  All in all it is vaguely irritating as I was genuinely looking forward to the Hurricane build and the associated bits and bobs.

Anyway I have, over the last couple of nights, got around to some experimenting and fettling on the figure for my little BoB vignette:

50254220703_4546fe0cd7_b.jpg

I have used the face and arms from the Airfix pilot figure. For the arms (blutacked for the photos) the sleeves have been cut, filed and sanded back to represent bare arms and some rolled up shirt sleeve added with Apoxie Sculpt putty. The face has been filled out with putty and the hair roughly suggested also. I intend to have the 'Erk reading a book patiently waiting for the call to action, perhaps from the size of the book you may be able to guess the title of the dio?

50255062272_a1c4dbbc6a_b.jpg

I have used the same putty to start bulking out the figure around the armature, its a little bit rough at the moment, but the advantage of sculpting with the epoxy putty is that it can be readily sanded once it has cured. Things still to do/add; Feet/shoes, bulk out the shirt, collar and tie, braces, wrist watch and side cap.....oh and some ears.

The important thing is that I am really enjoying the process and hopefully it will instill the urge to divert a little more time to the project.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A little bit more added to the figure this afternoon:

50254888848_ca5155f1c7_b.jpg

Collar, tie and braces...

Ear Ear what's all this then;

50255554491_c0ca0fcbb0_b.jpg

......ears are difficult!  four attempts and only one done!! looks like this bloke is a prop forward in his spare time.

Cheers ears!

Mark.

• Like 7