Spitfire IIb

Katfood

I just picked one of these up for a bargain price on eBay and was wondering what it would take to backdate it to a IIb ?

y4mtFaB3zmH5_ipEFk9g7T7OVO8C98jp370Nlszc

I have an unloved Revell IIa as a doner kit, as far as I can see I'd need to change the spinner and prop, oil filter and exhaust stacks, all of which should be easy ( famous last words ). Is there anything I've missed ?

Most IIBs actually had DH props and spinners (same as Mk.I).  You'll need the early style oil cooler, and (if the kit doesn't feature it) the Coffman starter bump on starboard cowl.  External bullet-proof windscreen and "flat sided" (not balloon) hood, unless you're doing one that's been retrofitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Katfood said:

I just picked one of these up for a bargain price on eBay and was wondering what it would take to backdate it to a IIb ?

y4mtFaB3zmH5_ipEFk9g7T7OVO8C98jp370Nlszc

I have an unloved Revell IIa as a doner kit, as far as I can see I'd need to change the spinner and prop, oil filter and exhaust stacks, all of which should be easy ( famous last words ). Is there anything I've missed ?

Some points.

Overall, especially for it's age, it's a really well shaped model, and the detail is reasonable, especially the UC legs, wheels and wells.

The Airfix kit has a couple of issues, easily fixed.

The first, If you try to add the Revell Spitfire spinner, it won't fit.  The kit has too high a thrust line/upper cowling, which in turn makes the nose ring too big, and also the spinner backplate too big. 

Fix is easy, but you need a correct sized spinner, (new too airfix Spitfire have multiples units for example)  line up the correct size spinner with the lower edge of the nose ring, draw line around top, sand to the line and a bit off the cowl top.

use leftover Eduard Spitfire rudder and tailplanes,  or thin the kit items, (which is a fair bit of work)

The Revell kit is also good shape wise, and the nose is correct. 

it's issues are no gull wing, poor wheels, poor exhausts and a slightly too short wing ( I think it's the tips) and the prop is not great.

For a IIB, do you have a scheme in mind?  As @gingerbob says, most had the DH unit.  Spitfire exhaust vary, the Airfic kit ash the fishtails type. 

You could probably just sand down the oil cooler as well. 

If you want more info, ask away.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gingerbob said:

You'll need the early style oil cooler

Not necessarily, a lot were upgraded in later life. You would have to check references for the individual aircraft being modelled at the date the model is supposed to represent.

Well, perhaps, but then just build a Vb.  (I'm not convinced- from what I've seen so far- that at least during their operational career IIbs got the later oil cooler.  And if I'm wrong, great, it'll have forced me to learn something!)

• Like 1

Earlier posts here have suggested that the cannon bulges on the early cannon armed Spitfire Mk II's were a little different to those seen on later Vb's - depends on how accurate you want to be.

13 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Earlier posts here have suggested that the cannon bulges on the early cannon armed Spitfire Mk II's were a little different to those seen on later Vb's - depends on how accurate you want to be.

FWIW, the underwing bulges on the old tool Airfix Vb are closer to the original type than the 'kidney' shape of the actual Vb. 

see

spitfire_mkib_92_sqn_qjs_r6923.jpg&key=3

from, which has drawings of the later blisters

HTH

• Like 1

P8576 'CITY OF BUNDABERG & DISTRICT' was a IIB with a bulbous spinner and round oil cooler. Built in June 1941 and delivered new to 308 Squadron in July. It became the personal aircraft of F/Lt Stefan Janus.