F4.E slotted stabilators options.

panzerlehr46

Hi Guys.

Hoping to make depending on decals either a Revell F4.F converted to an E of tge hellenic airforce or failing that a 57 Fis Keflavik U.S F4 E,Can anybody advice options on a build as i dont think any Slotted stabs are available aftermarket wise?.

Any help or suggestions very welcome,Ive seen a couple of Hasegawa 72nd Es on e.bay box marked C2 but im guessing the early raised panels early boxing?.

Many thanks.

Richard.

Go for the Italeri F-4C/D/J Aces box: includes both types, slotted for the J and unslotted for the C and D. All with good recessed panel  lines. Use the slotted ones for your E and you're left with all the parts for a C or D

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Almost certainly not as the C/D/J didn't have the leading edge slatted wings. If you find the old Esci F-4D/S boxing that includes parts for the slatted wing. The Italeri C/D/J boxing is the old Esci kit.

If you can't find anything let me know and I'll dig into the spares box because I am sure I'll have some in there.

Yes, no slatted wings in the Italeri C/D/J. In the original Esci kits these were on a separate sprue together with other F-4E parts.

The slats on the Esci 1/72 Phantoms were separate pieces to be glued on the wing leading edge. There was no representation of the fence present at the wing break point on the F-4E, so this had to be scratcbuilt. I have to say that the front fuselage of the Esci E was IMHO not too accurate, reason why I always nab one of their C or J kits when I see it at the right price but I generally leave the E alone. I do have one in the stash and I've considered adding the Esci slats to the Hasegawa F-4EJ kit, but I'm not sure if it's worth bothering.

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

@panzerlehr46

@Giorgio N

I will have some 1/72 F4 slotted and unslotted stabs for sale soon. 

Tweaked and mastered a set for @Blackfordhibby based off of Hasegawa parts. 

Tony (Soon to be: AA Productions) 

That's great news Tony ! Will keep this in mind, there are a few kits that could benefit from these... and best of luck to AA Productions ! 😃

• Thanks 1

@panzerlehr46 I have a Revell 1/72 F-4F that I'd happily shift on, and I also have decals for the two Hellenic Phantoms that attended RIAT 2017 that I drew up and had printed. 

I'd like to sell the kit and decals together if you are interested? 

Cheers,

WV908

20 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

@panzerlehr46

@Giorgio N

I will have some 1/72 F4 slotted and unslotted stabs for sale soon. 

Tweaked and mastered a set for @Blackfordhibby based off of Hasegawa parts. 

Tony (Soon to be: AA Productions) 

The slatted wings and slatted stabs are two things that truly interest me!!! When ready, send me a PM Tony!

11 hours ago, panzerlehr46 said:

Cheers now from Richard.

Irrelevant but, I see you're from Clacton-on-Sea. Many years ago I had visited your town with my ex and we dined at the 'Toby Carvery' restaurant. 

Edited by Shalako

3 hours ago, Shalako said:

The slatted wings and slatted stabs are two things that truly interest me!!! When ready, send me a PM Tony!

Roger just done the stabs mate. Not got or will do any wing parts as it was a one off doing these F4 parts. 

4 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Roger just done the stabs mate. Not got or will do any wing parts as it was a one off doing these F4 parts. 

I wanted to encourage him to also do the wing parts:yahoo:. As an aftermarket set it's something that's missing right now from the market.

Cheers

Bill

22 hours ago, Shalako said:

I wanted to encourage him to also do the wing parts:yahoo:. As an aftermarket set it's something that's missing right now from the market.

Cheers

Bill

Is this really the case?  Slatted wings were used on late F-4Es, Fs, Gs, and a limited number of RF-4Es, plus (in a slightly varied form) the F-4S.  With exception of the RF-4E, all of the available kits of these variants in 1/72 include the appropriate wing parts, typically the actuator fairings for the inboard sections and separate outboard sections with the fixed slats molded integrally.

If you're looking to convert an unslatted early F-4E/F-4EJ, that's fine but the issue isn't a lack of aftermarket conversion, you just need a different kit (or the right combination of spares).

If what you're asking about is a *deployed* inboard slat, I think this has been done in the past (possibly by Paragon?) but the demand must be limited since the Phantom's inboard  slats were mechanically operated and typically closed on the ground (vs. aerodynamically driven slats on types like the A-4 or slatted F-86, where the slats normally "droop" due to gravity).

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

If you're looking to convert an unslatted early F-4E/F-4EJ, that's fine but the issue isn't a lack of aftermarket conversion, you just need a different kit (or the right combination of spares).

BINGO! 👍 F-4E Kai - a bunch of them (Hasegawa)

34 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

If what you're asking about is a *deployed* inboard slat, I think this has been done in the past (possibly by Paragon?) but the demand must be limited since the Phantom's inboard  slats were mechanically operated and typically closed on the ground (vs. aerodynamically driven slats on types like the A-4 or slatted F-86, where the slats normally "droop" due to gravity).

You are right lad, Paragon did produce many....many years ago the outboard slatted wings in 72nd and 48th scale but, if you can find at least one in 1/72 let me know.

6 minutes ago, Shalako said:

BINGO! 👍 F-4E Kai - a bunch of them (Hasegawa)

Ok, like I said then - the issue isn't a need for aftermarket, it's Hasegawa not releasing enough slatted F-4Es. 😕

Assuming you've already got the Kais in your stash, one workaround is buying a Hasegawa F-4S to build as a J, swapping the slatted outboard wings (same as the F-4E parts) with the unslatted ones from your F-4EJ kit.  All "thick wing" Hasegawa Phantoms include the inboard actuators.

Just now, CT7567 said:

Assuming you've already got the Kais in your stash, one workaround is buying a Hasegawa F-4S to build as a J, swapping the slatted outboard wings (same as the F-4E parts) with the unslatted ones from your F-4EJ kit.  All "thick wing" Hasegawa Phantoms include the inboard actuators.

Have thought about it lad but, it is cheaper to buy an aftermarket set (when available) than pay Hasegawa "an arm and a leg" for a 30+ years old kit!!!

Just now, Shalako said:

Have thought about it lad but, it is cheaper to buy an aftermarket set (when available) than pay Hasegawa "an arm and a leg" for a 30+ years old kit!!!

Well, if there is no such aftermarket set then it's hard to consider it "cheaper" 😆

To be fair, Hasegawa's Navy Phantoms may be more readily available and/or cheaper in the U.S. than other parts of the world, but despite being 30 years old they are still the best kits available for most Phantom variants.

Best of luck on your quest for Unobtanium 😄