Very nice Greg,

I seel you have gone with RLM 66 for the interior? I have always thought that came in later, but I now read it was already in use by 1940 instead of 02.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to Future a Vacuum formed canopy?

I'm thinking of using the Aims one because I managed to cut it out perfectly and it is an excellent fit.

I was going to use the Delux Roket odorless CA. ,  but I can't get it to fix the Vac formed material to the plastic. As a result I will have to look at traditional glues. Hence the reason for the future. 

8 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Thanks Pete

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to Future a Vacuum formed canopy?

I'm thinking of using the Aims one because I managed to cut it out perfectly and it is an excellent fit.

I was going to use the Delux Roket odorless,  but I can't get it to fix the Vac formed material to the plastic. As a result I will have to look at traditional glues. Hence the reason for the future. 

Yes you can dip a vacuformed canopy in Future as an action to reduce the likelihood of fogging.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Yes you can dip a vacuformed canopy in Future as an action to reduce the likelihood of fogging.

Thanks Ray. I think  John from Aims will be happy if I do use the canopy as he made a  special effort to get it to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Thanks Ray. I think  John from Aims will be happy if I do use the canopy as he made a  special effort to get it to me.

Hi Greg,

I've used it with success, just as you describe, although I must admit these days I polish canopies so my Future is just used for gloss dials and decals (as a 70:30 Future : water mix under decals). I glue vacu-formed canopies with thin CA using capillary action to draw it into the joint and then use a low heat hair dryer to ensure any vapours do not fog the the canopy. That is, if I can move the air on the inside. With a fully enclosed Ju-88 canopy I would probably revert to what you're going to do.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Ok. Here is the Ju 88A-1 structurally together. I'm very pleased the way it has gone together so far. Still needs some filling etc, but it is pretty good.

I have placed the Vac canopy on it. This shows the Aims vertical tail, engines , wing tips and ailerons. eveything except the canopy is glued in place.

Ju 88A-1 image11

• Like 14

Greg,

Certainly looking good. The AIMs mods look the part and neatly fitted. Very attractive aircraft. I have a couple of ICM Ju-88's in the stash back home. Makes me want to build one.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Ray

I think Aims have parts made for the ICM kits. However I believe they are having trouble sending stuff to Australia and NZ something to do with flights.

I bought a Ju 88C-6 day fighter aims set today from Hannants also the Ju188A-1 decal set so I can finish my Ju 188 properly.

Today I resolved a problem I had with the propellers. The pro modeler kit is a A-4 with the wooden wider blades. The A-1 has the narrower blades. I have gotten around  this by using the A-5 blades that were in my ICM A-4 torpedo bomber kit. I'm adjusting the back plate from the original kit so I can use it's spinners which look better to me.

I just thought I would mention it. The resin prop parts that Aims supplied look a bit difficult for me to setup correctly. 

• Like 5

That’s looking really nice Greg, hard to believe the A-1 is still a subject not available OOB. Your hard work will pay off handsomely. Great stuff! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

Given the number of versions that the 88 came in, it is surprising that so few are represented. For example, I don't believe anybody has released an "S" but I could be wrong. You are fine if you want an A-4, C-6 or G-6 but that was just about it until the new Revell 1/72 A-1 was released , though I do believe a "D" is also possible from some of the "A" kits. Obviously aftermarket engines do allow some variation between Jumo and BMW engined versions of course. The 188 is even less well represented I believe, though my ancient Italeri version does allow for both types of engine. I wonder if there will be a JU 88/188 GB anytime soon as I have at least 3 to build excluding the one in this GB!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dave,

Given the number of versions that the 88 came in, it is surprising that so few are represented. For example, I don't believe anybody has released an "S" but I could be wrong. You are fine if you want an A-4, C-6 or G-6 but that was just about it until the new Revell 1/72 A-1 was released , though I do believe a "D" is also possible from some of the "A" kits. Obviously aftermarket engines do allow some variation between Jumo and BMW engined versions of course. The 188 is even less well represented I believe, though my ancient Italeri version does allow for both types of engine. I wonder if there will be a JU 88/188 GB anytime soon as I have at least 3 to build excluding the one in this GB!

Pete

Pete

Both the Ju 188A and E 1/48 Dragon kits have been released recently.  I think there was a Ju 88S version years ago. I have Special hobbies Ju 88D which is based on the ICM A-4 Kit. ICM  have also put out a D recently.  Really the only important one not kitted in 1/48 is the A-1. I think ICM lost an opportunity by not doing one this year.

• Like 2

Just in case you think the Ju88 A-1 has come to a holt it hasn't.  Tonight I added the backing strips to the cockpit edges to support the Vac canopy.  Tricky job, but well worth it when the time comes to glue on the canopy.  If all goes well the canopy should be on this weekend. 

• Like 3

Lot of work being done on the canopies today. Unfortunately I have a few spots of CA showing where I had to glue a frame inside the canopy. I will decide later whether to continue with the Vac canopy or replace it with a kit one. I have installed both the guns so it would be a setback. 

One thing I really dislike about this kit is the gondola which is in two halves, but I got it together. 

Tomorrow will be finishing the masking and blending and fixing up the canopy edges.  Sorry the image is a bit blurry,

Ju 88A-1 image12

• Like 9

Hi Greg,

this Ju 88 is really good. Congrats to have managed such a high build quality.

Canopies and glue... It is always high blood pressure time as far as I am concerned. And I know what goes through your mind when the CA has misbehaved...

Good luck.

JR

Yes Jean, definitely my most nerve raking time of a build. Particularly when I'm using a Vac canopy.  My only stalled projects have vac canopies. However,  I will be seeing this one through to the end. I dealt the canopy is going to be all that good, but I've told myself it is what it is this time. The Heinkel canopy is equally worrying.  I'm sure it is going to be a CA. fogged mess when I take the masks off. I couldn't get the Kristal clear to hold the parts together.  In the end I resorted to using CA.

This time with the Ju88 I Futured the canopy and used Roket CA. I have a better install this time. Still not perfect.

Big day canopy masking today. All done except for the round rear gun window. That is rather tricky.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you were wondering if this Ju 88A-1 has gone to the shelf of doom. Be reassured it has been quietly worked on in the background. 

Here is the photo with the black base done. I adjusted the picture a bit so you can see detail because in reality it is a very smooth black.

Ju 88A-1 image13

• Like 6