Hello everyone... I started my R.S.Tuck collection with his Vb in the Spitfire STGB. My goal is to do one of his Spitfires from 92 Squadron flown during the Battle of Britain. I will be using Airfix’s 1/72 Mk.I but at this time I am still trying to nail down codes ? DVcc8Nx.jpg

LoH1Fp6.png
Its possible he flew another GR coded Spitfire, however the one represented by the decals was lost in France in May. 92 Squadron refirmed in the U.K. After the fall of France and codes I think were changed to QJ. If thats accurate I'm trying to find codes for Z3040 QJ*Z or another QJ aircraft that he was known to have used. Those would I believe to be R6616 QJ*X, N3268 QJ*Y, or R6613 QJ*R. So one of those four aircraft are what I am looking for. Im temporarily using a set of Sprue shots from the web as Im waiting on the kit to get here.

hBGZG7z.jpg

aa4CDge.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and add thoughts. Please feel free if you have info on Tucks planes from the time frame of the Battle, please let me know

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 14

10 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Not sure if that serial is correct Dennis, it looks like the production runs went from 'Xxxxx' serials straight to 'AAxxx' serials without using 'Y' or 'Z' as a prefix to the numbers.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew... Im just going off of info I have received in this thread Ive got going on up in Aviation.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235069194-robert-stanford-tuck-new-questions/

Thats why I asked if anyone knows more I am definitely all ears. 

Dennis

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Are they the GR or QJ codes ? 

I’ve got the QJ codes.

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Lucky you.. Is that the plane your building ? Or will you be going with something else ? 

It’s the aircraft I’m building, I’ve got some paint masks off someone I know with the 92 Sqn codes.

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Well I did the interior on this but like on my other photo shoots of the Defiant and Corsair they got eaten between the app and camera roll ? So this is the only photo of the Spitfire I have from todays session. I promise I painted the rear of the fuselage aluminum. x7ZRjei.jpg
Please feel free to ask ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

Evening everyone... Spent sometime today getting the wings on today. p15uKZr.jpg

kzeIv1G.jpg

Not bad but not the best fit, the trenches (ailerons/flaps) on the undersurface of the wings doesn't inspire me. The wings were off-set so when I glued them up the guns didnt match on either side. Not really that bad I drilled them out, they're a bit larger but are circles now. Will it stop me from building more... No. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bugle07 said:

All looking good there, have you sorted the codes out yet?

Geoff 

Hello Geoff... I thought I had but now second guessing myself ? Im going for QJ*R or QJ*Y the QJ* R coming from the top sheet. Problem is they're appear to be a form of Sky. romzcVn.jpg
The QJ*Y codes would be butchered from this sheet.7413nRC.jpg

Granted theyre sized for Hurricanes but ive seen all sizes of codes used in the Battle of Britain so think I can get away with it. If you have a suggestion I’m all ears 

• Like 3

I've got the day off tomorrow Dennis, I'll have a root through the decal bank, I should be able to sort out something appropriate for you. Do you know the serial numbers for QJ-R and QJ-Y?

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Hello Stew Sadly only the last 4 numbers as they supposedly were written in tucks flying log book that way ? the numbers I have are N3268 for QJ*Y & R6613 for QJ*R. 

I think you have already looked through the thread if memory serves me correctly. So I may be incorrect on the numbers I have. 

• Thanks 1

Just had a hunt through Aces a high by Christopher Shores and Clive Williams, they quote that Tuck was flying N3040 when shot down on the 18th Aug, N3268 when he crashed on the 25th of August. Unfortunately no mention of the codes for either incident, QJ-?. 

Did find these tho. Up against a 1/72 Vb.

1-A59-F6-D5-4-D05-4-A63-8166-73-DF873-A5

Carpena 1/48 20” RAF Gery codes. Your more than welcome to the Q,J,R and Y’s on there if you’re interested. They’ll definitely be large, but with in BoB sizes.

F8445-E9-B-639-B-4-AEB-A7-AB-8-EF636901-

PM me if your interested.

Geoff

• Like 1

Hello everyone... was able to get the gaps and seams taken care of with my homemade PPP. Sm1am9S.jpg

SwHUTOg.jpg

EVrfVqU.jpg

FWmNYIi.jpg
Some basic re-scribing to restore lines to proper depth and it should be all good. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Morning everyone... Well this is a quick build, shes ready for paint along with my Defiant and Corsair. Zmwsdqp.jpg
The stabs are pretty square, sign of a good quality kit. jjTXR9f.jpg

MpsDkAo.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Morning everyone... I pulled an all nighter and sprayed three builds tonight. I was able to get the sky done on the Spitfire and Defiant. 2GEZvKU.jpg
My new A/Brush has a .2 needle and wont spray acrylics so I needed to mix up a custom blend for the sky. Its a bit light and green but once its cleared and weathered should take on a much better patina. 

Dennis

• Like 8