6 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Dennis - interesting. Bit smelly is it?
I might give that technique a go with Humbrol filler :hmmm:

Yes it can be smelly, but I'm so used to bad smells from working some real weird places. That and modeling for 40 years that I almost never even think about it. I would think it would work with any fine filler. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone... Well this is a quick build, shes ready for paint along with my Spitfire and Corsair. 
TPG4dOh.jpg
The stabs are pretty square, sign of a good quality kit. 

5huoyck.jpg

1sU03u2.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Morning everyone... I pulled an all nighter and sprayed three builds tonight. I was able to get the sky done on the Defiant and the Spitfire

LCTgjHO.jpg
My new A/Brush has a .2 needle and wont spray acrylics so I needed to mix up a custom blend for the sky. Its a bit light and green but once its cleared and weathered should take on a much better patina. 

Dennis

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My new A/Brush has a .2 needle and wont spray acrylics

You shouldn't have any problem at all spraying acrylics with a 0.2mm needle.

I have four Iwata airbrushes which I use for different things... and the 0.2mm set up in the HP-CH is the one I use for most of my airbrushing.

If you are getting drying on the tip and clogging, then you need to reduce your air pressure and increase the thinners in your mix.

I tend to use around 15psi and with Tamiya or Mr Hobby acrylics. For base colours, use 30%paint and 70% isopropyl alcohol as a starting point and paint really close to the surface... no more than an inch or so.... and for filters and panel weathering and so on, 95% thinner and 5% paint... Practice on a sheet of plastic before spraying the model and make sure the paint is wet when it hits the plastic, but the thinners evaporate almost immediately and it appears dry within a few seconds... but 0.2mm isn't a problem with acrylics.... in fact, changing to a 0.2 improved my airbrushing immensely as I had to learn to paint finer and closer and that gave me a massive amount of extra control... 

I have seen a lot of people airbrushing from the same sort of distances they would normally spray aerosol paint cans... it is completely different. Airbrushing isnt fast, but it allows you to paint really fine layers of paint or even multiple layers without losing any detail at all...

2 minutes ago, Bill Livingston said:

I have four Iwata airbrushes which I use for different things... and the 0.2mm set up in the HP-CH is the one I use for most of my airbrushing.

If you are getting drying on the tip and clogging, then you need to reduce your air pressure and increase the thinners in your mix.

I tend to use around 15psi and with Tamiya or Mr Hobby acrylics.

Its an Iwata HP-B+ and so far I have no issues with Tamiya's or Gunze’s. I was referring to the Vallejo and Ammo paints That make up the bulk of my paint rack. I wouldn't even consider using them at all, just because of the coarser materials used in the paint. I am spraying at 13-15 PSI right now with no issues in the B+ or the BCS but had all sorts of issues with acrylics in my Neo a .35 needle. For the Vallejo and ammo type acrylics i use the BCS and spray about 10-12 psi to get a decent output. But thats a .5 needle and will eat about anything put through it. 

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its an Iwata HP-B+ and so far I have no issues with Tamiya's or Gunze’s. I was referring to the Vallejo and Ammo paints

I haven't used much of the Vallejo paints. The only one I have airbrushed recently is the Vallejo metal paints and then only in either my Neo or Revolution... and I didn't like it much... very grainy.

I use Tamiya and Gunze most of the time, but have just started using Lifecolour as well... (that needs a LOT more thinning) and they all spray beautifully... thinned with either Levelling Thinners or Isopropyl alcohol... (IPA particularly when I am doing really fine work with filters  and post shading with less than 20% paint and thinning down a long way...)

Seems we are therefore doing much the same thing both in terms of thinning and air pressure. I hadn't picked up on the Vallejo and Ammo paints though... but like you it seems, I haven't had great experience with them

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1

Evening everyone... I was able to spray the Dark earth today, I used my BCS .5 Airbrush and wound up covered in more paint than the models. I forgot that Gunze needs to be thinned quite a bit and needs some decent pressure. oVGx3oQ.jpg
I repainted that starboard wing four times before I was happy with it. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Evening everyone... Well this is painted, its not 100% exact but close enough for me. Once the decals are on should cover up some of the misplaced lines of color. zgndZCy.jpg

kV2wZxJ.jpg

XiLttLE.jpg

43VSpCb.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

Good morning everyone... I was able to get the decals on tonight. 9s33en1.jpg

A69HQw8.jpg

Once these are set and cleared over i may fill in the wing walkways, anyone know what they were made of ? Non slip paint or something else

cQcr5Xf.jpg

Dennis

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Dennis.

20 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That’s looking great, good paint job and decals on, home stretch now Dennis 

Thanks guys now its just on to the landing gear, turret/canopies, and antenna’s. Wish me luck with the guns. Is it accurate without lower roundels ? 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:28 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is it accurate without lower roundels ? 

Between June and August, yes. If the kit doesn't provide them they probably weren't on there at the time the particular aircraft depicted was flying :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Between June and August, yes. If the kit doesn't provide them they probably weren't on there at the time the particular aircraft depicted was flying :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Kit says July so thats good, Thanks Stew. 

Hello everyone... Sorry for the delay bit of a case of life getting in the way. I was able to remove the guns with out any issues which from everything I’ve read is a miracle. Then I spent two days painting and building the turret up. In the end I was dreading it being able to fit, but surprisingly it popped right in. 
3wcz6Cd.jpg

C2rSoRZ.jpg

IkhuYqW.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6