72modeler

It doesn't get any better than a Spitfire FR18 at full song! What a nasty-sounding engine and what a gorgeous Spitfire! The Mk XII and Mk XVIIIe are my favorite Griffon-engined Spitfires. I hope you will enjoy watching and listening to this footage, via Youtube; if you have headphones, put them on and crank up the volume!  TP280 'Z' a No. 60 Sq FR18 based in Malaya, that later was sold to the Indian AF, and then recovered and restored. it was based for many years in Illinois, but I believe is now registered and flown in Germany.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

What a nasty-sounding engine...

Eh, the Merlin can keep its pleasant little purr, this thing sounds absolutely awesome! 😎 But still not quite the chills up your spine that a DB605 gives you.

Thank you for the video! I'm also a big fan of Griffon Spitfires, the XII for sure and also the clipped XIVe.

• Like 1

Incidentally, note those radiator flaps are fully open on the ground (for the most part)  - and judging from what everyone is wearing in the public this isn't a hot summer day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alt-92 said:

note those radiator flaps are fully open on the ground (for the most part) 

I noticed that, too. I'm guessing that the radiator doors were controlled like a Mustang's, with open/closed/auto. I would think on the ground and after takeoff, or at low airspeeds and high ambient temps, the doors would be fully open. You can see later in the video and on the ground that they are nearly closed or closed. IIRC, in the Mustang manual, during runup, the radiator and oil cooler door switches are sequenced through all positions, but left in auto unless there is an issue.

Mike

6 minutes ago, Welkin said:

Great video!

I notice that it appears to have a fixed tailwheel - presumably a later modification?

Yes, pity about that. Need to get that sorted.

Justin

• Like 1

Probably for the same reason many postwar ANG and Korean War Mustangs had the tailwheel fixed down- troublesome hydraulics or rods/cables linking it to the main gear retraction sequence. (Needs a 1:1 Brassin replacement!) :giggle:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Vlad said:

But still not quite the chills up your spine that a DB605 gives

Like this one, Vlad? Pretty nasty, especially with the air whistling through the oil cooler, but not as throaty as the Griffon!

Mike

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Like this one, Vlad?

Yeaahhh, that's the sound! We'll agree to disagree on your musical tastes 😉

That whistling sound by the way is not air through the oil cooler, it's the sound of the spinning supercharger impeller. I've seen it described as "the scream of a thousand tortured souls".

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

did this Spitfire belong to Rudy Frasca (owner of the flight simulator company at Urbana, Illinois)? At least he had a Spitfire in the markings of 60 Squadron (Squadron commanding officer's aircraft). I once suggested that he should build a FSTD for the Spitfire. Rudy laughed at me but I think he has been playing the idea himself.

One pilot who used to fly PR.XIXs at Singapore stated that the radiator flaps had to be kept fully open when on the ground and still it was a matter of minutes to get airborne before the engine overheated. The very same was reported by E.C. Powles who flew PR.XIXs and an FR.XVIII out of Kai Tak, Hong Kong.

Cheers,

Antti

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

did this Spitfire belong to Rudy Frasca (owner of the flight simulator company at Urbana, Illinois)?

It sure did.  

His second Spitfire 18 was last seen in storage in pieces in Chino.  Not sure if Mr. Frasca was still the owner, or if it had moved on.  

And just FYI, Mr. Frasca passed away in May.

Jim

• Sad 3

On 7/8/2020 at 3:41 AM, airjiml2 said:

It sure did.  

His second Spitfire 18 was last seen in storage in pieces in Chino.  Not sure if Mr. Frasca was still the owner, or if it had moved on.  

And just FYI, Mr. Frasca passed away in May.

Jim

Thank you for the information. I haven't heard about Rudy so this was sad news. Hopefully his son will keep at least some of the aircraft flying.

Cheers,

Antti

On 7/7/2020 at 4:56 PM, Antti_K said:

the radiator flaps had to be kept fully open when on the ground and still it was a matter of minutes to get airborne before the engine overheated.

Same issue with the  P-39, and P-63, as the radiators didn't get much airflow from the prop until airborne; the Mustang fared better, as it had cuffs on the prop blades for increased airflow and the radiator/oil cooler intake got more of the prop blast.

Mike 

• Like 1