Fed up with acrylics - good lacquer satin white?

Michael Morris

I’m a returner and recently bought first airbrush.  When I bought it the advice I was given was start out with something simple like Vallejo Air paints.  I’ve been getting pretty inconsistent results leading to loads of runs.  Now I know loads of people get great results using Vallejo Air paints, so this is undoubtedly my fault.

A few weeks ago I tried airbrushing with some Mr Hobby lacquer paints and they were a revelation.  Yes they stink, but I’m finding them far less problematic to use.  Now the issue is that I make models of spacecraft, so a lot of my painting involves large areas of white and black.  Can anyone recommend good lacquer black and white paints, preferably with a satin finish.

thanks

I would find an automotive paint supplier and get the required amounts. I'm saying this because you specified "large areas" and automotive paint is really cheap. I buy about 100 grams which turns into 200-250 grams after thinning (final cost is something like 6 euros). It dries towards flat, but you can tweak it with a few drops of gloss clear added to it so you get the desired satin finish. 

If you decide to stick to modelling paint MRP also makes good whites (but those are incredibly thin so there will be a bit of a learning curve when it comes to airbrushing). Mr. Color makes some really good ones too. I think both manufacturers have their own version of "off white" if you need it.

Keep in mind that solvent based paints aren't exactly healthy so you should consider getting a spray booth if you don't have one already.  

My lacquer-spraying colleagues swear by (not at) Mr. Color. I'd also recommend a spray booth vented to the outside.

Here's a good primer on Mr. Color:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/mr-color-lacquer-paint.47432/

Edited by Space Ranger

All the Mr Color, Tamiya LP or Gaia lacquer paints I've used have been superb!! Sure they do smell, but set yourself up with an extractor fan and a good mask and the benefits far outweigh the bad points. The only bad points really are the smell, that's it. Everything else is perfect..

• Like 1