1/144 HS.748

I recently received the nice new 1/144th Mark1 kit of the Avro/HS/BAe* 748, with a view to using aftermarket decals on it. A quick check soon revealed a problem though. Comparing it with my Welsh kit showed a noticeable difference in size, in fact the Welsh vac-form fuselage fits neatly inside the Mark1 kit. I don't know which is more accurate, but I like both. It's just that older decal sheets were designed for the Welsh kit.

*Choose your preferred nomenclature 

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 2

Very interesting. I noticed exactly the same size difference between the OzMods and F-RSIN Bristol Freighters - the F-RSIN fuselage fits inside the OzMods one.

What is your general impression of the Mark1 HS748? From the photo the detailing looks a little heavy but the nose shape looks better than Welsh Models. It's not high up my priorities just now but I was thinking of buying one for the stash.

Dave G

• Like 1

Amazing,

They were HS when I worked on them 🙂

According to Wiki the 748 is 20.42m long, so in 1/144 that equates to 14.2cm which to me looks like the Mark 1 kit is closer to correct size and Welsh is undersized

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Just out of interest and to add to the discussion I measured my completed S&M 748 and it was 141mm long and my AA kit looks to be 144mm (not 100% on that because it has a separate nose cone which may need sanding to fit).

Also, the recent newly released 748 decals from 26 state whether they fit  either AA or Mark 1. I guess that doesn't help if you already have an older decal or one from another producer though!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 22:38, Skodadriver said:

What is your general impression of the Mark1 HS748? From the photo the detailing looks a little heavy but the nose shape looks better than Welsh Models. 

Dave G

Dave,  I'm quite impressed with it, the detail is very fine, except possibly the tail fin which may be slightly heavier. 

On 03/07/2020 at 12:12, Turbofan said:

Just out of interest and to add to the discussion I measured my completed S&M 748 and it was 141mm long and my AA kit looks to be 144mm (not 100% on that because it has a separate nose cone which may need sanding to fit).

Ian

Ian, the Mark1 fuselage is 144mm, give or take a hairs width.

On 02/07/2020 at 22:42, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

According to Wiki the 748 is 20.42m long, so in 1/144 that equates to 14.2cm which to me looks like the Mark 1 kit is closer to correct size.

Ray, it's pretty close with my dodgy eyesight and ruler, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, halcyonjet said:

*Choose your preferred nomenclature 

You forgot Hindustan!

I’ll look on with interest as the 748 is an interesting subject.

Trevor 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting . Yet another kit I wouldn’t have known about unless I logged on here . Is this capable of being made into a BA 748 ? From memories they were Mk2bs . I’m thinking of the ones that used to take me to Benbecula and Orkney in the late 80s from Glasgow  . From memory G -BCOE/F and G-BCJV .  Looks like an interesting kit , maybe one to add to my stash

oops too late the “buy it now” button was just to compelling . Just bought an Autair one ! 

Edited by Rb277170
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rb277170 said:

Interesting . Yet another kit I wouldn’t have known about unless I logged on here . Is this capable of being made into a BA 748 ? From memories they were Mk2bs . I’m thinking of the ones that used to take me to Benbecula and Orkney in the late 80s from Glasgow  . From memory G -BCOE/F and G-BCJV .  Looks like an interesting kit , maybe one to add to my stash

From memory, I recall that the 2B version had slightly extended wingtips and longer engine nacelles at the front, to reduce the gap between the prop and the engine intake (probably barely noticeable in this scale). Anything else?

The kit should look lovely in BA colours.

Dave