1/72 Tornado

Another from my display cabinet.

This Tornado was one of those kits you get weekly with a magazine. My son saw one at an air show in the mid 90’s so I started buying it weekly until he lost interest after getting a games console🙄.

The brand is unknown - it was a tan coloured plastic. I built it up to the fuselage/wing/tailplane assembly and then it went into the box with my other previously built models.

In 2018 if found the box in the loft and decided to start building models again after a 30+ year hiatus. 
the main difference is I’ve got more patience than I did before.

I stripped the kit back to its component parts and started the rebuild. 
I was looking on eBay and saw a Revell kit which took my fancy.

I contacted Revell for the decal sheet and munitions/undercarriage sprue which they had in stock.
I bought a replacement canopy for the Tornado I’d built prior to this one and used the canopy from that one on this one.

I had to scratch build a couple of parts as well as replacing the nose cone as it was the wrong shape.

I think it’s turned out well.

vaUDuCh.jpg

DKNCeed.jpg
YLs7kUS.jpg

vaUDuCh.jpg

SrYUe2P.jpg

UwgZFvo.jpg

NiLkcUV.jpg

Ive just noticed the centreline fuel tank needs touching up🤨

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Nice Tornado.

if it’s the magazine that I recall, I believe it was called Take Off and the kit was the Italeri version.

That does ring a bell now you mention it

25 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Nice Tornado.

if it’s the magazine that I recall, I believe it was called Take Off and the kit was the Italeri version.

Confirming it the Italeri mould. I just compared this with boxed 1/72 Italeri kit (164) sprues.

However on that note, both Airfix and Italeri did magazine give-away promotions of their 1/72 IDS Tornados in the 1990s. 

e.g. Sometime in the early 1990s I inherited by way of being gifted a full kit of a 1/72 IDS Tornado inc Desert Storm decals moulded in tan plastic, in heat sealed plastic bags sans box.  It's origin was inclusion sprue by sprue week by week in a magazine promotion. I don't know which magazine.  The donor was a buyer/reader who was PC flight sim mad, but who had no interest in plastic modelling. No box, tan plastic, it was definitely the 1/72 Airfix IDS Tornado. 

• Thanks 1