Vietnam Cobra - 1/72 AH-1G - Completed

Finally hit disaster.  Well ok, maybe not disaster...but a bit of a shot to the gut.

Thin decals are great when they go down right.  Well, I got one down that didn't have enough emulsion underneath it to allow for gentle repositioning.....and tore it.  Tried to piece it back together the best I could...but it's still pretty hacked.  Ah well, we'll just keep pushing on.  Such is life.  Hopefully I can learn something from it.

50080342453_4257a24b5e_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Not really.  It's a bit crooked as well.  Figure I've got 3 options...

1. Leave it as is.  Pros - No time loss.  Cons - Port side has the mini-gun which is peculiar about this kit, so turning the port side away from viewing negates the special part of the kit.

2.  Remove the broken decal and paint a patch panel as a "repair".  Pros- Minimal time loss.  Gets rid of the broken disoriented decal.  Cons - Not real keen on the missing decal.

3.  Acquire another kit.  Pros - Solves all my misgivings of trying to patch something together.  Cons - More money and wait time for the kit.

I'm not opposed to another kit as it technically comes w/ decals for 5 versions (4 different birds + an additional scheme for 1).  I'll have to think on it overnight and check availability.

• Like 2

Well, I've gone and buggered up one of the serial numbers now too.  So I'll be ordering a new kit tonight (readily available through SB for a whopping $20) so I can have those 2 replacement decals.  Butchered decal has been removed from the nose and touch up paint is in process.  This will push the completion out a couple weeks, but I'll be happier with it in the end.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

So long as you're happy with the end result that's what matters most Chris. Plus this will now become a double build so all good... :whistle:

• Haha 2

Not enough to warrant pictures, but I did a little picking away at the main rotor & weapons last night.  I need to get this one finished up and moved along before the Vietnam GB rolls around.

Then there is the pair of bombers loitering around begging for attention.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did muck up a little bit.  I missed a comment from a guy that was a crew chief that the rotors were OD on top, black underneath.  I'll have to correct that on the second build!  It'll just add that much more variation between them, right?  :lol:

30 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I did muck up a little bit.  I missed a comment from a guy that was a crew chief that the rotors were OD on top, black underneath.  I'll have to correct that on the second build!  It'll just add that much more variation between them, right?  :lol:

Looks great! Do you have a link to that guy's comment?

8 minutes ago, moviedrone said:

Looks great! Do you have a link to that guy's comment?

It's towards the end of this thread.  https://modelersalliance.org/threads/another-cobra.155359/#post-350602

I remembered the light grey hubs...but forgot the OD uppers.  Go figure...  :doh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...