Vietnam Cobra - 1/72 AH-1G - Completed

My entry for the whirlybird GB.  I'm hoping this may be a quick long weekend build...but we will see as things rarely go as well as planned.

Setting the stage for a Vietnam themed second half of 2020, with an OV-1B earmarked for @trickyrich's Vietnam GB, and a likely F-4J for @Col.'s Interceptor GB.

The all important starting pic!

50069027623_c0091ac135_c.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Good choice its a great little kit, I have almost finished it myself. Which option are you going for?

I think I'm going with "Pandora's Box".  If all goes well, I may have it in paint today.  Just sprayed the blue tint on the canopy pieces.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I think I'm going with "Pandora's Box".  If all goes well, I may have it in paint today.  Just sprayed the blue tint on the canopy pieces.

Thor's Hammer for me

• Like 1

The tinted canopy.  Also did a light wash & pastels in the cockpit to dirty things up a little bit.  Doesn't show in the pic too well though.

50072058066_26fdb69a26_c.jpg

• Like 6

Hey wait a minute- you're supposed to show a sequence of progress!  You just went <blink> and there it (mostly) was!

When I was a kid I thought (classic) Cobras were awfully cool.  This GB did make me think about the interest that other things (including other people's builds) had already slightly rekindled.  Only problem is that I don't have one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was quick! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Hey wait a minute- you're supposed to show a sequence of progress!  You just went <blink> and there it (mostly) was!

@Enzo Matrix style :lol:

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

When I was a kid I thought (classic) Cobras were awfully cool...Only problem is that I don't have one...

There's a simple, although potentially expensive, cure for that ;) 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

There's a simple, although potentially expensive, cure for that ;) 

Only if you want to go big.  These little Special Hobby ones are actually pretty cheap all things considering.  ;)  I think I got mine on sale for $15-17, and frequently see them going for $22-25.  I didn't know what the kit was like at the time...but figured it'd be worth a $15 gamble.  Hell, the shocking bit was the 5 piece canopy fit together closed up w/ minimal fuss...even though it was designed to be built open.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  I wonder if they do the Whiskey?.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

When I was a kid I thought (classic) Cobras were awfully cool.  This GB did make me think about the interest that other things (including other people's builds) had already slightly rekindled.  Only problem is that I don't have one...

The Matchbox Hueycobra was an eye-opener for me.  It would never have occurred to me that a helicopter could look like that.  It looks like a shark in the previous post.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

It looks like a shark in the previous post

Yes its always been my favorite attack helicopter, though I do prefer the early canopies over the later flat panel ones. Im looking to build a U.S.M.C. one for my Brother in law someday, he was in the Corps and it would look good on his desk next to the other Marine aircraft. 

Ended up adding a bit more green into the mix.  It was too desert brown for me.  It's better now, though the additional paint means a lot of the pre-shading now is very subtle.  Honestly though, looking at service pictures, they didn't usually look to bad so it might all be for the better.  Oh well, it is what it is.

50074303652_e31d0504e8_c.jpg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Tidy job chris, it looks a smashing kit, i bet that canopy caused a bit of stress when you put all the bits together,what did you use to glue it? 

Actually the canopy wasn't bad at all...I was actually shocked.  Out of the 5 pieces I had to do minor sanding on 1 edge of 1 piece so it would pop in w/o any pressure on the adjoining pieces.

The glue is something I picked up from the local hobby shop.  Before this stuff I had always just used Elmer's white glue (original all-purpose, not the new variety school glue).  But I didn't have any and didn't feel like making a second stop on the way home as I was at the hobby shop for other stuff anyways.  This stuff works pretty well, though it is a bit on the thin side.  I'll put it on with a toothpick, then wait a minute of 2 for it to skin over and start getting tacky before I try setting the canopies in place.  Out of the bottle it reminds me a lot of a thinned down white glue.

50074113491_a047577b76_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I like "CAUTION: Mild irritant."  I wonder if they mean the process of trying to get the thing stuck properly while using this product!

If I remember right, Pacer makes stuff for the RC/flying model realm, but that doesn't mean it can't work for us.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Col. said:

That was quick! :thumbsup:

Theres an inappropriate joke in there somewhere but we are all far too mature to fall into that trap ! 😉

I looks like you are nearly blooming finished before some of us have even started, outstanding stuff

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I have to confess I've been assisted by a kit that really hasn't thrown me any curve balls.

I should have the accent colors and gloss shot today/tonight so it will hopefully be ready for decals tomorrow.

• Like 1