Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary Gallery

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

• 3 weeks later...

Hawker Hurricane Mk1, 601 Sqn, Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

Arma Hobby 1:72 kit with Xtradecal markings.

601 Sqn spent much of the Battle at RAF Tangmere in West Sussex although the only photo I have seen of this aircraft is from RAF Exeter in September of 1940.

UF*S was flown by Squadron Leader Michael Robinson who became an ace during the Battle.

50151709772_58de861045_k.jpg20200725_142615_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50152073517_65102e5277_k.jpg20200725_142108_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50151590101_512bdc13be_k.jpg20200725_160715_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50151589991_4af83f9d0c_k.jpg20200725_160440_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50151589826_49dba36e63_k.jpg20200725_160516_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 50

Again another fantastic Battle of Britain GB, thanks guys for setting it up and all the words of encouragement. A lot of new skill practiced and learnt, now what to build in 5 years time?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 50

501 Sqn Hawker Hurricane, RAF Gravesend

Late July-Early August 1940

Scale: 1:48

Kits: Hasegawa Hurricane Mk 1, Airfix Albion 3-point Refueller

Build thread: 

DSC_4541.JPG

DSC_4542.JPG

DSC_4544.JPG

DSC_4535.JPG

• Like 56

What started out as a pair of 19 Sqn Mk1 Spitfires are now done.

On the road to completion, one of them turned into a 609 Sqn one. Decal problems were the cause of that deviation. So what we now have are Brian Lanes QV-K and John Dundas PR-O.

The paintjobs on both leave a bit to be desired, I'm still trying to get to grips wit brush painting Revell Aquacolours. I suspect I'll need to use an airbrush if I'm going to keep using these paints. I like the Revell take on the green and brown RAF colours a lot, so it will be worth upping my game a bit here.

Enough waffle, here's the build thread...

... and here's the Gallery shots.

Just for a change I've gone black and white for this pair, it seems right somehow. Pictures were taken outside on a card airfield base using natural August daylight. That's about as authentic as you can get for a BoB build. Mildenhall is a couple of miles from me so even the location is fairly accurate!

The colour was taken out in Photoshop and a grainy look applied to the pictures. A scratch here and there was also added to a couple for atmosphere. The pictures have been cropped to size and that's it for modifications. I never alter the models themselves, hence no added aerial wires and suchlike. The two figures are from the Airfix RAF set and add a certain quietness I think. I like them and will use them on other builds.

20200804-194502-copy.jpg

20200804-194947-copy.jpg

20200805-080538-copy.jpg

20200805-081644-copy.jpg

A 234 Sqn interloper has turned up in the last shot, the more the merrier I say.

And to finish, here's the two in full technicolour...

20200804-194947.jpg

Tony.

• Like 48

Okay, this model has haunted me! Inadequate research, inaccurate decals, and a simplified kit have all conspired against me, in spite of the kit being actully a VERY easy build, to test my mojo. It was nearly thrown at the wall several times, and I was ready to ask SWMBO

for her spare set of knitting needles!

But, here she is. She's fought me all the way. I wasn't aware how dark the pictures were until I uploaded them to my PC, so I apologise for those. I have put new bulbs in my photoflood lamps and they are obviously not up to the task.

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1

of No.85 Sqn, RAF, based at RAF Debden in July 1940: P2923 VY-R

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's early days in this GB, so I may enter another later. For now, I have a Bf109 to build for a BoB GB elsewhere . . .

Edited by Fifer54
change duplicated picture
  • Like 37

Fiat CR.42 Falco MM 5668, 83a Sqd, 18° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Ursel, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale plastic, resin and photo etch kit from Mister Kit. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

50213707706_3032581e1f_o.jpg

50213976347_32f3b0bf46_o.jpg

50213976347_32f3b0bf46_o.jpg

50213182573_b3c57ff90d_o.jpg

Italy declared war on Britain in June 1940, siding with Germany. Most of the aggressive activity took place around the Mediterranean, but Benito Mussolini persuaded Hitler to let an element of the Regia Aeronautica take part in what was the Battle of Britain. Consequently, an expeditionary force was formed, the Corpo Aereo Italiano, on 10 September 1940. Aircraft were despatched to autumnal Belgium post haste.

Some failed to make it across the Alps, for various technical reasons I shan't go into here. Eventually, Fiat CR.42 and G.50 fighters and BR.20 bombers, were set up in three Belgian bases. They were to remain in Belgium until mid-April 1941, when the aircraft that had survived were redeployed back to warmer climes. 

It is often thought the Italian entry into the Battle of Britain was inconsequential. The fighter pilots, it is true, suffered from poor experience in bad weather flying, and the fighters themselves were desperately short of range and armament. The bombers, however, when working well, were more than capable of the task set them. The reaction, from both the German and British perspectives, to these brightly coloured aircraft arriving in the late summer of 1940 can be guessed at.

The Fiat CR.42, a single-seat sesquiplane, was a development of the CR.32, fitted with a more powerful Fiat air-cooled radial engine. It proved agile, but was technically outclassed by faster and more heavily armed monoplanes of the period. Armament consisted of a pair of 12.7mm Breda SAFAT machine guns, mounted in front of the pilot and synchronised to fire through the propeller. CR.42s were also capable of carrying a pair of 200kg bombs on hard points under the lower wing.

This model was built from a Mister Kit limited run kit. At about the same time I brought it down from the shelf to build for this Group Build, Italeri announced a new kit for the CR.42. If you plan to add this little Fiat to your collection, my advice would be head that way, and not from where I came. Still, it turned out adequately in the end, and I even learned how to drive my airbrush for the camouflage!

WIP thread is here, mixed in with two other Italian builds:

• Like 50

Fiat G.50 Freccia MM 5403, 352 Squadriglia, 20° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Flugplatz Maldegem, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale limited run kit from AML, in plastic, resin and photo etch metal. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

50213710036_f93a138e65_o.jpg

50213709871_dabcc4157f_o.jpg

50213185513_545b9a6980_o.jpg

50213978627_18c5f638df_o.jpg

Part of the CAI, as outlined in the post on the CR.42, the G.50 was a rather dumpy looking low-wing monoplane. It entered RAI service in 1938, also serving with the expeditionary force in Spain. Early models of the G.50 Freccia (it means arrow) had a fully enclosed cockpit. Pilots, however, disliked this feature, claiming the perspex scratched easily in the dry and dusty operating environments they flew from. The open cockpit was adopted, and even hinged clear panels added to give a little more protection from the slipstream.

Powered by the same air-cooled radial of its sesquiplane brother the CR.42, and armed with just two 12.7mm Breda SAFAT machine guns, mounted on the nose and firing through the propeller, the G.50 was capable of a maximum speed of 470kph, and a maximum range of 445km.

The planes deployed to Belgium were hampered by poor range, no cockpit heating - so who likes an open cockpit now, eh? - and, when fitted, wireless sets that failed regularly. Like the rest of the CAI, redeployment to Italy and North Africa couldn't come soon enough. Photos of the period show the camouflage applied did not survive the colder and wetter climate in north-western Europe, and many planes ended up looking particularly scabby. I've aimed at a little chipping, just for fun. 

I guess Italeri have one in their range, and Airfix has an elderly kit of the type, so unless you really enjoy trying to make silk purses from sow's ears, pass over this kit if you find one.

I won't repeat the link to the WIP thread, as it's in the CR.42 post. 

• Like 54

Fiat BR.20M Cicogna, 4 Squadriglia, 11° Gruppo, 13° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Melsbroek, Belgium, September 1940.

1/72nd scale Italeri with Eduard PE interior and exterior details, LF Models resin wheels, painted with ColourCoats enamels, Humbrol acrylics and enamels for detail work.

50240413547_04683e390a_o.jpg

50240413367_965afbc06a_o.jpg

50239551738_a065f420fa_o.jpg

50239551613_c99b07a2d1_o.jpg

50239551423_c0d03ab112_o.jpg

The Fiat BR.20M Cicogna was the mainstay of the Italian bomber fleet at the outset of World War 2. The first all-metal bomber to enter Italian service in 1936, it was already becoming obsolescent by 1940. That said, the type had seen service in the Spanish Civil War, had been sold to Japan where it flown in support of their occupation of China, and when compared with its contemporaries from other countries it actually stacked up quite well.

A twin-engined design, powered by a pair of Fiat A.80 R.C.41 18-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engines, driving 3-bladed all metal variable pitch propellers, the BR.20M was capable of carrying a 1,600kg bomb load nearly 3,000km. The crew of five consisted of pilot, co-pilot, bomb aimer and front gunner, radio operator/navigator and upper gunner and a belly gun position. Self defence was in the form of three 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, and sometimes a pair of guns could be fitted into side windows. 

The kit is of its age. First released in 1972, it carries the full complement of raised panel and rivet lines. I decided not to erase the latter, which perhaps was a mistake as the areas where filling and sanding have taken place have shown the remaining rivets up quite nicely. The transparent parts were quite thick, and had ejector pins and other impedimenta in awkward places. Modifications, outlined in the WIP thread, were needed to let the aftermarket internal detail set to fit properly. Although the parts count was quite low, the overall shape of the model looks about right, and I liked having the separate control surfaces so they could be offset a little to give some life to the model. I enjoyed learning to paint the random mottle camouflage, and I think the finished model has turned out well enough to find a place in my 1940 cabinet. My thanks to everyone who pitched in with their knowledge of the Italian air force and with ideas to overcome issues during the build.

A full history and specification of the Cicogna (Stork) can be found on Wikipedia.

A fair summary of the CAI's efforts during late 1940 and early 1941 can be found on this clicky-linky thingy. 

WIP thread here, complete with the other CAI builds:

• Like 55

Another Golden Oldie joins the Gallery, that's the kit, although the builder falls under the same category 😉

This is the Airfix World War II, Aircraft of the Aces Hawker Hurricane Mark 1 flown by Squadron Leader, R.R. Stanford Tuck DSO, DFC at 257 Squadron in 1940, he finished his service with a total of 28 combat victories.

Paintwork corrected to be applicable to the Battle of Britain, I hope you like it.

Cheers Pat

IMG_5150

IMG_5151

IMG_5152

IMG_5153

• Like 40
  • Haha 2

Kit: Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk I. (New boxing)

Spitfire I R6893 

Pilot Officer Colin Gray DFC

54 Squadron RAF

Hornchurch, July/ August 1940

My first entry to this excellent group build. Thanks to the hosts and everyone who has contributed and shared information in pulling this one together. I am really enjoying the various builds and the range of models on display.

The build thread is below.

AE53112D-781F-4A67-848F-D42378FE896A

F0F8DC14-DA41-4333-907B-9C66C9289478

9B1F63D3-BC45-49E6-8709-08585847AAFB

2A73F533-1DEA-4D8F-993F-9729B4831443

96CAAEF9-B507-40E2-B77C-3C3D046FA68D

• Like 50

I thought I had Posted photos in this Gallery,but I cannot find Them. Here goes again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope I'm not Duplicating

Regards

Bill

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Something over 20 years ago I bought a job lot of 3 Airfix1/72 Bf 109E kits - the original was issued in 1975 but this was the 1988 "Aircraft of the Aces" boxing. Quite a few years later I bought a couple of Xtradecal sheets for the Battle of Britain period - I used the RAF one a couple of years ago and this GB gives me the chance to use part of the Luftwaffe sheet. I thought it might be best to put them in the gallery one by one, so here is the first, which Hannants say was an E-3 flown by Uffz Karl Wolf of 3./JG 52 showing their normal badge of a running black boar.

DSC03511-crop DSC03515-crop DSC03513-crop

Besides replacing the guns with Master brass ones, I added a Squadron canopy which has the modified framing for this model, thouigh I have since found out that the "frame" in the middle of the opening section was an optical illusion caused by the overlap of the sliding panels.

The decal instructions say that this particular machine crashed in France on August 30th 1940, no reason given.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 33

Here is the second of my trio of Bf 109's, in this case an E-4 supposedly flown by Oblt Gunther Bode who was Gruppenadjutant of I/JG 27 and carries their "Lioness over Africa" badge..

DSC03521-crop DSC03517-crop DSC03519-crop

This plane crashed near Mayfield in East Sussex on September 9th 1940.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 30

And lastly we have the machine of Ofw. Bernhard Lempskemper of 2,/JG 3, another E-4.

DSC03523-crop DSC03525-crop DSC03527-crop

This plane force landed at Pevensey RDF station on August 29th 1940. The Tatzelwurm badge is in the Gruppe colour of Red.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

To compliment my 3 Emils I have also built an Airfix 1/72 Hampden. The kit includes the markings for one Swedish aircraft and two RAF machines, one in the early style camo with the low demarkation, and one flown by Learoyd when he won the VC during a raid on the Dortmund-Ems canal, which had the higher demarcation with the black up the sides of the fuselage and on the vertical tails. I decided to do something different.

I have built this aircraft using a combination of kit decals and ones from my stock to model it as P1355 OL*W of 83 Squadron. On the night of September 15-16th it took part in a bombing raid on invasion barges in Antwerp harbour and as it turned for home it was hit by flak starting a major fire in the rear fuselage. Two of the crew baled out but 18 year old wireless operator Sgt John Hannah decided to fight the fire in spite of machine gun ammo exploding all around him. He eventually put it out although sustaining serious burns, and the plane returned safely to base. Hannah was awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery but before long he came down with tuberculosis, possible because of his weakened state, and had to be discharged from the RAF. Sadly he passed away in 1947, so this is my tribute to a brave young Scot and all the others who flew during the war.

DSC03507-crop DSC03502-crop DSC03504-crop

The Hampden was designed to meet the same early 1930's requirement as the Wellington, but as you can see Handley Page decided on a very narrow fuselage (3ft max) combined with a boom like rear end to improve the field of fire. Unfortunately that prevented the fitting of power operated turrets so the armament was weak, and unlike the Wellington its small fuselage also meant it could not be used in other roles once it was replaced as a bomber, although some were converted to launch torpedos. 83 Squadron switched to the Avro Manchester in 1941, although it could be said that was not a big improvement - but at least it carried over twice the bomb load!

It went together well and it is out of the box except for an internal bulkhead and the tubular frame I added to stop the upper rear gunner hitting the tail. I have built it in the "closed up" mode as it is on the ground though I suspect that the gunners would usually remove the guns after a mission as I have seen pics of them walking to or from the plane with them over their shoulders - perhaps with these later twin mounts that was less frequent. Anyway, as it seems to be bombed up the guns are on and I have raised the retractable D/F loop, as seen in at least one photo! Not the most attractive of planes though better than the original prototype with the blunt nose, and it does have a certain character to it. Reminds me a bit of the Amiot 143 in terms of the narrow slab-sided deep forward fuselage and much shallower rear fuselage but looks sleeker with the retractable undercarriage, twin tail and somewhat less plank like and much thinner mid mounted wing.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1