Revell 1/96 Spanish Galleon vis Man O' War?

Hello forum,

I'm embarking on a modelling project and was looking at the Revell 1/96th scale Spanish Galleon (Revell H-367) and the current 1/96th scale Revell Man O'War (Revell 05429). However, they do not seem to be in scale with one another? Am I missing something here?

spacer.pngspacer.png

I believe that yes, the  two pictured models are of different scales.  The Spanish Galleon (Revell H-367) is an older kit, and my search on the web fails to indicate a definite scale for it.  It is much smaller than the English Man O’ War (13.5 inches, or 34.3 cm, for the Spanish Galleon, vs. 74.7 cm for the English Man O’ War).

The English Man O’ War was initially offered by Revell in the 1970s, along with a Spanish Galleon model which uses many of the same molds and is basically the same size and scale.  The newer boxed Man O’ War is, to my understanding, essentially a newer injection of the same molds from the 70’s.  It is labeled as 1:96 scale, but it is actually thought to be more like 1:64 scale.

I have not built the Man O’ War, but I am currently building the Revell of Germany 1:96 Spanish Galleon, 05620, which is  the “counterpart” that shares a number of the molds.  I am altering it a bit with modifications.  If you are interested in seeing my build log of it, check out the following link on Model Ship World:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24519-spanish-galleon-by-jeff-t-revell-196-plastic-with-modifications/

There is also a build log of the English Man O’ War by another Model Ship World member:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24493-english-man-owar-by-robert-taylor-revell-196/

I’m sorry that I do not really know anything specific about the Revell H-367 Spanish Galleon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff T said:

I believe that yes, the  two pictured models are of different scales.  The Spanish Galleon (Revell H-367) is an older kit, and my search on the web fails to indicate a definite scale for it.  It is much smaller than the English Man O’ War (13.5 inches, or 34.3 cm, for the Spanish Galleon, vs. 74.7 cm for the English Man O’ War).

The English Man O’ War was initially offered by Revell in the 1970s, along with a Spanish Galleon model which uses many of the same molds and is basically the same size and scale.  The newer boxed Man O’ War is, to my understanding, essentially a newer injection of the same molds from the 70’s.  It is labeled as 1:96 scale, but it is actually thought to be more like 1:64 scale.

I have not built the Man O’ War, but I am currently building the Revell of Germany 1:96 Spanish Galleon, 05620, which is  the “counterpart” that shares a number of the molds.  I am altering it a bit with modifications.  If you are interested in seeing my build log of it, check out the following link on Model Ship World:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24519-spanish-galleon-by-jeff-t-revell-196-plastic-with-modifications/

There is also a build log of the English Man O’ War by another Model Ship World member:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24493-english-man-owar-by-robert-taylor-revell-196/

I’m sorry that I do not really know anything specific about the Revell H-367 Spanish Galleon.

Brilliant and thank you kindly Jeff for replying I thought I had made a mistake but wasn't aware how big a mistake it was, now I know, damn Revell. So, the Man O'War has similar parts to the the other Spanish Galleon, that's good to hear. Now I have Conway's volumes of fighting ships but I do not have any books of fighting sailing ships from the 1550's to the 1900's Can you recommend any decent pictorial books for the golden age of sailing ships? I'm going to subscribe to both topics and join that forum. Many thanks Mark

The two books that I use are specific to galleons:  

The Galleon: The Great Ships of the Armada Era by Peter Kirsch (out of print, but you can get it maybe from Abe books or ebay).  This book focuses on English galleons and covers a replica of a model galleon from Stockholm from about 1610.  It is amazing in its detail of galleon construction and has an intricate rigging plan that is likely much more accurate than the plans that Revell provides.

The other book may (?) still be in print:  Spanish Galleon 1530-1690 by Angus Konstam.  Published by Osprey.  It is specific to the Spanish galleons, and it also has a lot of illustrations and old engravings of galleons.

I hope this informations helps you.

The book 'Remembering Revell Model Kits' by Thomas Graham, Schiffer 2004, gives the scale of the Spanish Galleon H-367 as 1/96, whilst it gives the scale of the English Man 'o War H-397 as 1/65.

H-367 is a modification of the 'Golden Hind' kit H-325.

Another Spanish Galleon kit, H-400 was issued in 1/65.

• 2 years later...

There are multiple discussions about these kits over on the Fine Scale Modeler ship forum.   “Serious Ship Modelers” referred to the Revell kits as “Interior Decorator” models-  they look nice, but don’t have much to do with any real ship.

Revell produced some fine sailing ship kits and some that were best described as “fanciful”.   They seemed to think that no one would care/notice if the re-boxed a kit with a few minor changes and sold it as a completely different vessel.

That smaller “Galleon” looks to me like a slightly modified Revell 1/83 Mayflower, which I understand to be a good model of the “Mayflower II” that was built in the 1950s, and can be still be visited in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

The first picture the OP posted is of an English ship, but he called it a “Spanish Galleon”.   That is more accurate than he may realize!    

The “English Man of War” is supposedly one of Revell’s worst offenders-  a minor change from the big Spanish Galleon kit, which looks nothing like an actual English ship from the period.

• 2 weeks later...