1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 "Flogger" by ClearProp Models - MiG-23ML/MLA/MLA-2 & MLD released

Homebee

4 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

Before or after meeting the Tomcats...

I've been to Mitiga, liked the people, hung around the Flogger line and like the aircraft (a nd not a Tomcat fan!) :)

Martin

• Like 1

Looks like a beauty, alright. It should build up into a very impressive model. I just wonder about the status of some previous 1/72 future release announcements from CP - Su-25, LaGG-3 series 66, possible extension of the La-5 kit series, maybe some others I've forgotten. I tried emailing CP about it, but got no reply.

John

@RidgeRunner - Yes, where have all the pronouns gone?! :hmmm:

On 02/08/2021 at 14:24, John Thompson said:

I just wonder about the status of some previous 1/72 future release announcements from CP

You're not alone. They announced a lot of interesting stuff, some showed up in plastic, but then more was announced and realized while nothing's heard about the older projects. Given the "interesting stuff" part it'd be a damn shame to see nothing come of it all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Probably....but those are almost impossible to get....

KP's MiG-23's are the RV molds, without the photo etch. These might be easier to get. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23ML, MLA, MLD and P "Flogger" by ClearProp Models - 3D renders - release in 2021 ?
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, Hobo said:

Bravo ClearProp! The weapon loads look fantastic. Hope you issue them in 1/48 also. So many beautiful schemes for these aircraft.

That was exactly what I thought. Hell, probably everyone did! But I have to upset you guys - there will be NO ORDNANCE! The information is directly from the manufacturer. The weapons were shown for display only.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, DenKhorosh said:

That was exactly what I thought. Hell, probably everyone did! But I have to upset you guys - there will be NO ORDNANCE! The information is directly from the manufacturer. The weapons were shown for display only.

Wiskey tango foxtrot?! 🙄

Seperate weapons set/cant be bothered/collaboration with local business res/kit? Decent r-23s arnt easy (or cheap) to come by (nice ones being made by the latter)

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 1

I don´t need ordnance. I need the kit which will be:  well detailed, accurate and easy to build and especially available in 2 years, not in year 2150 ! 😉

BTW: I think RV kit is well detailed, accurate but not easy to build 🤷‍♂️

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

I don't understand why kit manufacturers do this. Standard  stores should be included. 

Each part takes up a little space on the mould. If you have free space on the universal sprue, you can place the armament. If you don't have any, you don't include armament, because it is an additional mould, which means additional cost, which means higher price of the kit.

If you don't give armaments, they will complain that there are no armaments.
If you give some armaments, they will complain that you did not give X missile or Y bomb.
If you give a complete set of armaments, they will complain that there is no need for so much stuff because everyone has a stockpile of armament from old kits, that this makes the new set too expensive and that the company is raising its profits in this way.

Whatever you, as a manufacturer, do, it will be wrong.

Edit: Here is the original Soviet armament listing for the MiG-23ML version only, in red is the translation. I haven't checked what came in the next MiG-23 versions that ClearProp is going to release. That's a whole one extra mould that significantly increases the cost of the project and results in a higher price, and after all ClearProp kits have never been cheap.

Mi-G-23-ML-Armament.png

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
  • Like 5

I would respectfully diagree: as its odd not to incude the weapon system the complex is built around!  (tomcat without phoenix, EE lightening without Firestreak etc) even notorious hasegawa includes these in their kits of the subject!

no need to go lavish:  2xR-23(4), 2x r-60, centre fueltank - and you got the standard  interceptor loadout as pretty much every other manufacturer of a Mig-23 kit has included

I asume in good faith Clearprop intended to incude weapons, and for whatever reason it diddnt work out (would be interesting to know) -  but at the end of the day i suspect this will be a dealbreaker for many like myself. If a compeditor is in the wings with a more complete product: the price of a Clearprop kit + weapons set + shipping would need need to undercut an ICM price ( larger company with wider distribution network) 

which is really annoying more than anything else - as Clearprop (and ICM) both make lovely kits, and i wish them every success (the mig-23 market being so barren that it could be a profitable venture for both!)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

I would respectfully diagree: as its odd not to incude the weapon system the complex is built around!

Point is - variants announced by ClearProp were not built around particular weapon system. Their armament is very common and produced by many companies. This is not the case of F-14 without AIM-54, which is senseless indeed.

no need to go lavish:  2xR-23(4), 2x r-60, centre fueltank - and you got the standard  interceptor loadout as pretty much every other manufacturer of a Mig-23 kit has included

And then what I wrote above will begin: If you give some armaments, they will complain that you did not give X missile or Y bomb.

They will start complaining. Why R-23 and not R-24? Why R-60 and not R-73? Why the MiG-23MLD doesn't have a RN28 nuclear bomb? Why is the armament as boring as in any other MiG-23 kit? Why did you not approach the subject in a fresh and original way?

If someone wants to complain, he will always find a way.

I asume in good faith Clearprop intended to incude weapons, and for whatever reason it diddnt work out (would be interesting to know)

Generally for the reasons I wrote about above. 

Universal armament, fitting to each version, should be placed on the mould, which will be used to inject parts common for these versions. However, space on the mould is limited and the armament takes up space. So if space starts to run short for other parts, the easiest way to get that space is by removing the armament.

At this point the manufacturer is faced with a choice - sell the kit without armament or invest in another mould with different armament and sell the model at a higher price.

And there is no good solution, someone will always be dissatisfied.

but at the end of the day i suspect this will be a dealbreaker for many like myself

ClearProp with its kits is targeting a different audience than ICM. This is a group that expects a high level of detail and is prepared to pay significantly more for this level of detail than for competitor models. Such modellers will easily pay for an injection moulded set of high quality armament or for resin aftermarket items.

At the moment in Hannants the ClearProp's Ki-51 costs £18.75 and the OV-1 Mohawk £29.16, I suspect the MiG-23 will cost a minimum of £30 if not noticeably more. At the same time the MiG-25PD from ICM costs £21.50 and that's probably what the MiG-23 would cost now.

Fortunately I won't have a problem choosing myself - ClearProp haven't announced MF and UB versions, while ICM are likely to do both.

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
Typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Maybe a higher price kit but, probably nowhere near as expensive as having to buy a separate set of armaments and, then pay a second set of postage.

A separate set of weapons can be bought with the model, so I wouldn't add the cost of a second shipment. But apart from that, the company must calculate how many customers will not buy the model because it does not have armament, and how many will not buy the model with armament because it is too expensive.

How much could the price increase if the company decided to invest in another mould? It all depends on how many moulds are needed for the basic design. If three, for example, then a fourth mould is a significant cost increase. But if there are ten of these moulds, then an eleventh is a slight increase.

This is pure speculation on my part, but perhaps ClearProp will be releasing such a separate set (or multiple sets) of armament? They also announced the release of the Su-25 model, so at this point separate armament with different variants of missiles and bombs makes a lot of sense. Moreover, then you can release separate editions of the models in "clean" and "rich" versions, and with that ClearProp has some experience, they have a basic kits and Advanced line, with PE sets and masks.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23ML, MLA, MLD and P "Flogger" by ClearProp Models - 3D renders+test parts - release in 2022 ?