Hands free magnifying glasses

HoolioPaulio

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN9XY4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently on offer at £11, and they are the best £11 I have spent in a long time.  Lightweight, and razor sharp lenses.  And bonus, they make you look awesome too 😂

WLurmZD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I am looking for a pair like this. Are they okay to use when wearing spectacles ie is there enough room for the specs without the magnifier banging inot them.  I have astigmatism so I cant work without my specs unless I fancy a splitting headache.

@AltcarBoB The black bit that the lenses clip into slides forward and backward as well as the white bit tilting up and down, so I would say yes as you can position it quite well.  I also wear glasses for astigmatism, but however found these to be spot on without my glasses.

I did try it with my glasses, plenty of room, but it was uncomfortable (excuse the face, its been a long day)

715RdJt.jpg

However, I found it much more comfortable if I switched the arms for the included elastic strap.  This is lens in the furthest position away from the eyes

thziJR2.jpg

And this is the closest

0UIGKAW.jpg

The instructions state that the optimum distance from the eyes is around 55mm.  Also after the headband pictures were taken I found its more comfortable to have my glasses in front of the magnifier, but still cumbersome with the arms.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have these, and found them much better than the Optivisor style glasses - the open design means you can easily "look around" the magnification. With the closed optivisor style I found I was forever flipping them up just to reach for something across the workbench.

Actually, this is my 2nd pair, my one criticism being they are not very robust - the lenses are OK, but the various fittings and hinges are not very impact resistant. You really need to avoid dropping them, knocking them off the bench etc. My first pair lasted about 18 months, with quite a few repairs.

That said, even if they only last a year, the price for something I use nearly everyday, sometimes hours at a time is very reasonable.

I use mine with glasses with no problem, and this time round am using the headstrap instead of the arms. It makes slightly more awkward to put on and take off over glasses, but overall I think it is more comfortable for long working periods. Also, the arm hinges were the first thing to fail on my previous pair.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

Dohh price has gone up to£14.99 I missed the offer

Have a hunt around - there are multiple companies producing (or selling) these. My first set was branded 'Fanci' and the ones I just got appear to be completely unbranded. But they are the same thing

Cheers

Colin

Well they arrived yesterday and I have been playing with them this morning. They do everything people have said I was surprised how clear and free of distortion the lenses are.

Only problem my head is economy sized and these seem to be for someone with a smaller narrower nut. I have tried the arms and the band but it's the fixed arms that are the problem they press into my temples.

I am going to have a think about how I can modify them to relieve the pressure on my temples.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I modded mine to make them comfier. I dunked the sidearms in nearly boiling water pushed the arms back then dunked them in cold water. They now fit my oversized nut except my sister has temporarily (also known as permanently) borrowed them.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that used to happen to me all the time. It's worse with the wife- I keep on finding expensive tools stuffed into the nearest drawer after she's finished bodging another quality repair around the house. I wish she'd just ask me- I usually have to fix whatever it is she's been working on anyway...:fraidnot:

• Like 1