Airfix 1/48 Stuka

Having only built aircraft to 1/72 scale I thought it time to test myself on a larger scale. Having enjoyed the build of Airfix’s 1/72 Stuka I thought I’d have a bash at their 1/48 87R B2 version. The kit is well moulded with some nice detail and goes together well. There are various build options to choose from which is nice, but I wasn’t keen on the standard European scheme that’s suggested so after a bit of digging on t’internet I found that the aircraft chosen by Airfix also served in North Africa so a set of ROPos decals were purchased along with Eduard’s PE set for the kit. Paint is Tamiya acrylics, lacquers are Humbrol and the aerial wire is Uschi van der Rosten thread. For the weathering effect I pre-shaded with dark grey and white followed by four different shades of RLM 79 sandgelb which gives an uneven effect on what would otherwise be a really monotone scheme. The lower surface is simply the usual RLM 78 hellblau, again with some pre-shading. No washes were used on the model but I did use oils to give further effects. It’s never going to be a show winner but I think it’s probably the best aircraft kit I’ve done to date so I’m happy, which is what the hobby is all about, making us happy. 
As ever, all constructive criticism welcome. :yes:

50068092386_fcf09aa5de_o.jpg

50068352157_ac544d97f1_o.jpg

50068095306_f80a35b36f_o.jpg

50068096286_73a1882a1d_o.jpg

50067542308_d4af6c30be_o.jpg

50068356867_1555d7c212_o.jpg

• Like 64
  • Thanks 3

Great finish, stands up to the dreaded zoom in on the close up pictures! How did you add the ceramics on the aerial line? Great work on all the canopy frames, very neat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, the ceramics are simply thick blobs of Tamiya XF-10 flat brown. I’ve also used painted thin CA glue in the past but find it can sometimes react with the Uschi thread causing distortion so I simply use paint now. 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant Stuka, Bill -

I also like the fact that you have kept things light regarding the weathering which makes for a more realistic appearance.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Wow, that really looks good, have not built a Stuka since the Hasagawa kit a 15-20 years ago.This is one I need to look at.Again-great job.

• Thanks 1

Very good build and paint work. I did a similar one not so long ago. S1+GK I used a similar technique to you to get an uneven finish.  You have done a better job of that difficult canopy.  👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

The canopy was quite a challenge as both inside and outside require masking off, therefore this is a task I’ll not be repeating in a hurry! 
Anyway, thank you all for the kind words. :yes:

• 1 year later...