Tactical Nuclear Strike force

Anatol Pigwa

13 hours ago, Julien said:

Pilot only as was not able to carry the observer and the weapon. Also pretty sure they knew it would be a one way trip as the Wasp was not fast enough to escape the blast area!

Funny! (Perhaps not so really) but, how did they get away with the "two man rule" if only one pilot? or was it perhaps considered "Dropped" upon launch of the helicopter. The weapons (in real war obviously) must have been armed, as the pilot would have hands and feet busy?

Cheers

H.

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

Funny! (Perhaps not so really) but, how did they get away with the "two man rule" if only one pilot? or was it perhaps considered "Dropped" upon launch of the helicopter. The weapons (in real war obviously) must have been armed, as the pilot would have hands and feet busy?

Cheers

H.

Same way the RAF got around the two man rule with the Jaguar I suppose.

23 hours ago, Julien said:

Pilot only as was not able to carry the observer and the weapon. Also pretty sure they knew it would be a one way trip as the Wasp was not fast enough to escape the blast area!

Dont think Wasp had an observer they had an aircrewman / missile aimer .

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Dont think Wasp had an observer they had an aircrewman / missile aimer .

Who ever he was thy left him behind on a Nuke run, good to know tho

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:25 PM, Julien said:

Same way the RAF got around the two man rule with the Jaguar I suppose.

And now I feel an idiot! I never even thought of that... the fighters did the same thing indeed, F-104s as well... F-16's, F-15, you name it. I suppose they would never launch with live weapons "for exercise" thus, the actual dropping of the weapon has been authorized under the 2 man rule, does not need further authentication after they launch.

Makes sense.

Cheers

Harald

On 02/07/2020 at 06:33, e8n2 said:

While the F-4 could conceivably carry three, I only ever saw them on the centerline, and only on alert aircraft.  Otherwise it would be shapes during exercises and again, only on the centerline.

Later,

Dave

UK based USAFE F-4s on alert carried 2 Fletchers, 1 store on the centreline, a jammer on the port forward Sparrow station, and no defensive armament.

On 02/07/2020 at 17:08, ChocolateCrisps said:

While the Scimitar wasn't cleared for We 177, it was for Red Beard - as far as I know, it was with the Scimitar + Red Beard combination that the RN first became a nuclear power.

I can only find two images of the set up, and both show the bomb on the port inner pylon, so I'd assume that was the standard.

The Test Scimitar used to lob inert Red Beards over Orfordness on a regular basis

Before launch the pilot of single seat a/c was given the codes by someone else to arm the weapon so if if there was a rouge pilot they couldn't just go out and launch on their own with a nuke. Of course rarely were live weapons flown on fighter a/c however lots of practice ones of the same shape and colours were dropped and tossed onto various ranges around the world. Here is a bunch of B61 practice shapes:

EIZfROUX0AYzy1Z.jpg

Some info here on various nukes:

https://deusexatomica.wordpress.com/tag/nuclear-weapons/

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 2:17 AM, Marcin Kaminski said:

Russia:

IL-28: RDS-4,

MiG-21: RN-25

MiG:23: RN-40, RN-28

MiG 27:

MiG-29:RN-40

Mig:31K: Kh47m2

SU-7: Natascha,RN-28

SU:17 Natascha,RN-28,RN-40

SU:22

SU-24: TN-1000, TN.1200,RN-28

SU:25: RN-28

SU-27: RN-28

SU-30: 

SU-34:

SU-57:

YAK-26 Natasha

YAK-38: RN-40, RN-28, RN-41

TU-22M3: KS-22, Kh-32; Kh47m2

Information on tactical nuclear weapons is a state secret, so you are unlikely to find much information about Soviet tactical nuclear bombs on the Internet.  In the Soviet Army, the people who serviced such weapons were called "немые" - "one who cannot speak".

If I don’t confuse anything, maybe the R-33 (MiG-31) and R-40 (MiG-25, MiG-31, Tu-128) missiles could be equipped with a special nuclear warhead, but this is not accurate.

Also, anti-submarine helicopters Ka-25, Ka-28 and Mi-14, probably may carry

torpedo with

atomic warhead or tactical nuclear bomb, but this is maybe not accurate.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, Marcin Kaminski said:

AFAIK, not in the meaning of NATO dual key (they would just execute soviet orders) but apparently Warsaw Pact pilots did train tactics of delivering nuclear weapons.

https://vpk-news.ru/articles/31490

"In addition to missile weapons, the Soviet Union supplied the Warsaw Pact countries with nuclear weapons carriers.  The first of these were Su-7B supersonic fighter-bombers, received (in the Su-7BM and Su-7BKL versions) in the air forces of Poland and Czechoslovakia.  Unlike the same machines that were sold to countries in Asia and Africa, the Polish and Czechoslovakian “Sukhoj” had, like the USSR Air Force, special equipment that allowed the use of nuclear ammunition (a device for targeted bombing with 

cabling

and a special beam holder).  Tactical nuclear bombs that were part of the special equipment of the “Sukhoj” included the 244N (8U69), RN-24, and RN-28 products created at VNIITF in Chelyabinsk-70 (now Snezhinsk).  Polish and Czechoslovak pilots trained to use special ammunition."

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 5:36 AM, RAGATIGER said:

The Russian tatical nuclear bomb is included on the Modelsvit Su-7 in 1/72 scale at least on my kit

No, they make the model of an atomic bomb simulator for exercises, the model of a real bomb here:

On 7/4/2020 at 8:23 AM, Finn said:

There is aftermarket RN28 in 48 & 72:

1-48-rn-28-soviet-nuclear-bomb-1-pc-0.jp

Jari

But there is a small problem, 😁 it is argued that Soviet aircraft never actually carried nuclear weapons in peacetime.

Because this weapon they were supposed to carry only during IIIWW ... in one way.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

If look between the the 104 and 105 you'll see Mk28EX (External) and Mk28IN (Internal) practice shapes that will be loaded up. The IN goes in the bomb bay of the Thud:

Lockheed_F-104C-10-LO_Starfighter_57-091

Jari

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

UK based USAFE F-4s on alert carried 2 Fletchers, 1 store on the centreline, a jammer on the port forward Sparrow station, and no defensive armament.

By Fletchers do you mean the the tip tanks?  All of our birds had those on all the time.  It's been a long time, but, it seems to me that not just alert aircraft, but just about all, if not all, had the jammer pods installed.  I also remember seeing the plyons for the AIM-4s one time but don't remember if it was on the aircraft parked out on the ramp or on a truck or trailer being moved someplace.  Been over 43 years since I left Woodbridge so some of the details can become a bit hazy with the passage of time.

Later,

Dave

Every AF F-4 I ever remember seeing always had the tip tanks and the inner pylons fitted.  The test aircraft from Edwards and Eglin may not have carried the inner pylons, but the ones expected to fly combat always did.

Later,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

1414426035_684464208.jpg

I cannot recognize the name of the pylon for the atomic bomb in the hands of a technical personal!😁

Anybody know name this pylon?😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2020 at 5:39 AM, exdraken said:

US, or Britsh bombs?

2 live Sparrows... interesting! So no Sidewinders to fight your way out 

Most of the USAF pilots I know that sat Victor Alert thought they wouldn't have any air to air missiles if they actually had to launch for real.  By the time a NATO-Warpac conflict got to the point of using nukes most of the conventional weapons probably would have been used up and missiles would have been reserved for the air defense assigned fighters.  Additionally, the strike missions were usually one way, so they didn't want to "throw away" missiles on a mission that wasn't coming back.  Either the delivery aircraft didn't have the fuel to make it back from their target or the timing tolerances were so ridiculously unforgiving they assumed they would be destroyed by another nuke detonation because they were too early or too late on their route.  The whole concept defined the term surreal.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/2/2020 at 2:17 AM, Marcin Kaminski said:

Russia:

IL-28: RDS-4,

MiG-21: RN-25

MiG:23: RN-40, RN-28

MiG 27:

MiG-29:RN-40

Mig:31K: Kh47m2

SU-7: Natascha,RN-28

SU:17 Natascha,RN-28,RN-40

SU:22

SU-24: TN-1000, TN.1200,RN-28

SU:25: RN-28

SU-27: RN-28

SU-30: 

SU-34:

SU-57:

YAK-26 Natasha

YAK-38: RN-40, RN-28, RN-41

TU-22M3: KS-22, Kh-32; Kh47m2

Add:

Be-12SK -  Ryu-1 (5F48) - anti-submarine bomb

Be-12, IL-38, Tu-142, Ka-25PLYu - 

RYu-2 (8F59) - anti-submarine  bomb 

Also, 244N.

"Subsequently, the 244N was "tied" to all long-range aircraft carriers (located in their bomb bays)" i.e.

M3, 4M, Tu-16, Tu-22, Tu-95.

More information with photo:

http://forums.airforce.ru/matchast/7621-dh-bp-vvs-i-ma-vmf-sovetskogo-soyuza/

B.R.

Serge