Finnish Air Force Command drops swastika symbol

Black Knight

32 minutes ago, reini said:

but if not, I can help you out, just let me know.

Please...for one thing, my Finnish in non existent and I am not sure how to add to my basket. then check out.

If you have a PayPal I could send you the money, including shipping, and maybe you could send it to me in Greece?  I know...it's a lot to ask...

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:47 PM, Retired Bob said:

People that take offence at the slightest thing.

In your opinion. obviously, it's clearly subjective.

Edited by Agent K

From memory, the Hakaristi was the emblem of Count Rosen, the Swedish noble who donated the first aircraft to the nascent Finnish Airforce, hence it was adopted as their national marking.
It was widely used before the Nazis stole it for their own evil purpose, being seen on interwar RAF and WW1 aircraft of many combatants. 

I assumed the FAF had dropped it totally in it 1944 when they sued the Russians for peace and effectively "swapped sides", but I never knew the AF kept it on as their official emblem. It's bizarre but then I guess if it means something else to the Finns that's what it means.

#Agent K, don't worry about the snowflake comment , boomers always be booming :)

Jonners

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:16 PM, GMK said:

I was living at the RAAF Darwin Mess at the time of the CATM debacle. One of the guys had a commemorative cake made - complete with (scale) CATM through it - to mark the end of Pitch Black. It was, as they say, too soon. 

Does all this pre date Falklands and proper air to air by Naval Aviation? That said Flt Lt Morgan was RAF but soon transferred 😁🤔

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Does all this pre date Falklands and proper air to air by Naval Aviation? That said Flt Lt Morgan was RAF but soon transferred 😁🤔

Ha. No, 2000. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 9:52 PM, Retired Bob said:

I thought they had dropped the symbol at the end of WW2 when the aircraft markings changed to a blue and white roundel.

Likewise.  I wasn't aware they were still using the symbol at all.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:55 PM, exdraken said:

Back on topic, or close at least...

German Luftwaffe Geschwader 74 was officially named "Mölders" until very recently...

Apparently in 2005 it was determined that he had had too close an association with the Nazi party and efforts made to clear his name in that regard failed. Hence the removal of the "Mölders" from Geschwader 74. 

• Thanks 1