Tamiya 1/24 Shell Porsche 926C Build

After gather dust in the attic for a number of years I decided to take a break from 1/48 Spitfires and give this car a go

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Thats basically what is in the box plus the usual decals, masks and tyres

• Like 5

I like these older Tamiya kits there doesn't need to be a million parts to create a nice looking model. I'll be following along 🙂

So a few things that I want to do on this build after having looked at whats in the box

First there is a rather ugly mould line under the wing and I am not sure how I am going to get a decent spray and polish under the wing. I think I will chop the wing off and add it later using some pins

spacer.png

I am not convinced by the rear tail lights either think I will chop them off too and make some clear ones instead - maybe on a silver mounting plate?

spacer.png

The Axle nut looks a bit odd so perhaps we can replace it with a real scale nut - might look a bit nicer 

spacer.png

I also want to try and improve the suspension, I can never paint the spring coils so they look convincing so i think I will try and add some of my own home grown springs - red might look quite nice

spacer.png

• Like 2

while we doing some chopping I think we can make the tow hook look a bit better, think I will chop the moulded one out and add in a repainted plastic one - be easier to paint too

spacer.png

I think it will also be easier to paint the fire extinguisher if I remove it and add it later once painted maybe add some decals to give it a more authentic look

spacer.png

While looking at the cockpit (does a racing car have a cockpit?) I think we should be able to drill out the main spar and it might look a bit better from both side (though I am not sure it will be very visible once all built 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Microbike said:

I am not convinced by the rear tail lights either think I will chop them off too and make some clear ones instead - maybe on a silver mounting plate?

spacer.png

I also want to try and improve the suspension, I can never paint the spring coils so they look convincing so i think I will try and add some of my own home grown springs - red might look quite nice

spacer.png

This should be good to see, as you say you don't need ten million parts to build up a good looking model, but it's so much easier to create a nice model if they all line up well in the first place rather than having to do a load of surgery.

I know you will almost certianly enjoy the additional detailing you're planning, but just in case you decide not to go down the route of chopping the tail-lights out you can get a very good effect by going over them with the Molotow pen then covering that with clear red or orange as appropriate.

As for the springs, again it's fair enough if you want to go down the route of adding real springs, but I've found that somewhat counter-intuitively the easiest way to paint springs is to paint the part the spring colour first, then go over the bits between the coils with the colour of the damper.

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

As for the springs, again it's fair enough if you want to go down the route of adding real springs, but I've found that somewhat counter-intuitively the easiest way to paint springs is to paint the part the spring colour first, then go over the bits between the coils with the colour of the damper.

Hi Spiny

i have tried to paint the spring coils but I don’t think my hand is steady enough. I though of just sending off the coils and then winding on some fine red or black wire - I will give it a go and see how it turns out and post the photos

This livery is for chassisnumber 962-009, as it raced in the 1987 200 miles of Nürnberg. The 200 miles were done in 2 races of 100 miles each. For the first race the car was driven by Stuck (it finished second), for the second race it was driven by Bell (did not finish).

I haven't seen a picture of the real car with both driver names on the sides, all the pictures show only the name of Stuck. But almost all the pictures of scale models show both names, somewhere some modelling company must have made a mistake.

There's 2 more things that you might wanna change with the Tamiya kit : plug the holes for the screws (both sides of the body) and make the air inlets in the doors deeper (they are to shallow, the body from this Tamiya kit is from a former motorised kit)

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

plug the holes for the screws (both sides of the body) and make the air inlets in the doors deeper (they are to shallow, the body from this Tamiya kit is from a former motorised kit)

Hi Pascal

Yep I did plug the holes so that one is covered as for the inlets in the doors they will just have to stay as its too much hard work to change and I have already painted the body so its a bit late but I don't really mind - i just build for the fun of building and if its not 100% accurate I am not too worried - its the fun of the build that counts

• Like 1

So have completed the painting and am busy with the decals at the moment. 

This is the underside of the car. From the photos I have it looked to me like the colours went a bit under the car. Tamiya had it as all white but I think this front end looks a bit better

I also painted the wheel wells in colour as it looked to me like the colour wrapped round a bit more than shown - so sprayed the underside as follows

Tamiya white primer

Tamiya TS-26 pure white

Tamiya TS47 - Chrome Yellow (not the TS-16 as suggested by Tamiya as I felt that the TS47 was a better match to the decals than TS-16

Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red

Tamiya AS - 4 Grey Violet

Tamiya TS - 29 Semi Gloss black 

spacer.png

• Like 2

The kit provides all the white markings as decals but I am not convinced that will work very well so I decided to mask and paint the white, red, yellow and black

I used Tamiya TS paints  sprayed through a Badger 200IL airbrush starting with white primer, Then a coat of TS26 gloss white. Then once the base coat was laid down the body was masked to carefully spray each successive colour starting with the gloss white followed by successive coats of TS47 Chrome Yellow, TS49 Bright Red, TS14 Gloss Black and finally a coat of TS13 after all the masks were removed to even the surface ready for decals 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks Pascal and Harry

Cockpit completed, the extinguisher has also benefited from a little "modeller's licence" with the markings etc

Decided to just use the decal seat belts as not much will be visible through the windows so I thought this would be well enough

spacer.png

added a bit of colour to the dash not strictly 100% correct.

spacer.png

The drilled out bulkhead looks a bit better though on reflection it would have looked just as good if the holes were simply painted black (adds a bit of depth but not likely to be very visible once the body is added to the chassis 

spacer.png

The replacement of the moulded axle nut and axle looks a bit better, certainly made the painting process much easier particularly with the front wheels - but you be the judge on the final result

Front wheel

spacer.png

Rear Wheel

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...