Bristol 171 sycamore

Seeing as i was unsuccessful in trying to persuade  @andyf117 to part with his golden fleece  aka  a 72nd  royal navy merlin and xtras I'd  better fall back to position 2 ,and move up a scale 😳

The kit in the box looks good,and nicley done details,  there's photo etch,  and masks, included in the box ,being 48th scale I'm going to have to fettle the rotors to the folded position,  I'll  be building the box cover version and

I've found this image second down  for reference ,it should then squeeze on my helicopter shelf

I make no promises to complete it  in the allotted time because i want to  do some bits insides,

But i shall try ,

Cheers

Glynn

DvenB3s.jpg

h2V8XTx.jpg

• Like 20

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I'm really looking forward to this one Glynn as I'm quite tempted by one myself.

Its a very nice scheme that you have chosen, very smart.

Cheers craig , I've  also got the  1/48 amp westland dragonfly hc2 kit that i picked up at the same time ,I'm  looking forward to this one though 

10 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooh very nice. Will be watching with interest Glynn

Thanks H, i hope its an easy ride, some bits in the cockpit look clunky, and  rushed , fingers crossed i can improve it in areas

• Like 2

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I've got the Dragonfly myself and considered it for the GB, but couldn't resist the lure of the banana!

I don't  blame you , great looking helo , it'll still be a big model in 72nd, its a scale i like for helicopters due to the rotors,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Same here, it is so much easier to store/ display and transport them in 1/72.

You should try 1/144. Much easier, although you do need a good supply of glass coke bottle bottoms!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

crappy eyes H

I'm  on +3 reading specs just for normal modelling, my prescription readers just don't cut the mustard any more, ...   anyway don't  commit to glue until you've dry fit just about the whole of the fuselage sides,  and top and bottom sections, and clear parts too  ?

Done some test fitting tonight-,  glued one little bit, the other side needs stretching to fit so the glue needs to go off for a day before that, btw 😋, its not even in the same galaxy as a shake and bake kit, but still it's  a 48th sycamore and no one else can be bothered,so fair do's AMP, it is short run after all

I'm  trying to get the fuselage sides prepared ,+ theres a top and botom section that needs fettling to fit , then i can test fit the clear parts, and  because there's rivet detail around the canopy,and all over the heli for that matter i don't  want to end up sanding either the fuselage or canopy to get a nice fit, I'd  rather the gap( i bet you there will be one )is down the join/seam ,anyway pictures tomorrow,

I'm  still looking forward to it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds like there's some "fun" in store on this build Glynn, but as you say it's the only game in town and it is a cool looking helicopter.

Surface detail  is really nice craig, theres lots of work on all mating surfaces though, not just a dash over with a sanding stick either , but like you say it's the only game in town, I'm  sure it'll come out in the wash 👍

• Like 1

I'm  off the mark with this, the fit isn't as bad as i thought to be fair, you'll  need to scrape away a little bit of mating surface irregularity here and there, and ive got a bit of a gap to fill , other than that I'm  reasonably happy, although at the bottom of the clear front canopy there are some molding swirls, these look like they're  embedded  in the clear part , I'll  cross that bridge when i come to it,

As it stands

To achieve a good fit with the belly part horizontally and vertically  means the fuselage doesn't mate at the back/bottom , i had to test fit right up to the  4 seperate canopy parts to make sure this didn't  come back to haunt me later, 

From what i can see it wont 

GoKdj2L.jpg

7jt2FT8.jpg

A test fit of the cockpit floor/rear bulkhead and the top panel all fit well, 

olYL27B.jpg

I glued only the fuselage sides, and filled in the erroneous gap and panel lines that didn't  meet on mating with stretched sprue and sprue goo

dJkQt7S.jpg

Cheers all 

Glynn

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Off to a good start Glynn, looks like you've got a good handle on things.

I hope so craig, I've  got my fingers crossed in case I missed the blindingly obvious, i went to mikes today for some well needed supplies , oh yes also came away with a very nice academy sb2c-4 helldiver, 'operation iceberg" boxing in 72nd, it looks a lovley kit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mackem01 said:

presents any banana skins.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Good luck.

Thanks, the belly section is the most important, the 4 piece canopy will be stressful ,but should fit fine , the clear parts molding on the front bit of mine is poor, whats the one in your kit like?