Respray over varnish

foxhandybread

Apologies in advance if this is a very silly question! I'm getting back into modelling after a rather long hiatus and have been starting out with some 1/72 aircraft and the results haven't been totally dreadful so far. I'm currently trying to get a nice shiny finish on Airfix's Red Arrow and all was going well. Put down some primer, then a few coats of humbrol acrylic with the airbrush, all looking nice. Then a few coats of Pledge Revive floor wax (used to be Future Klear?) for a glossy finish. Then I only went and tried to do a tiny touch up bit of sanding on the intakes and got a few nasty marks, scratched off the red acrylic, which are going to need touching up. I don't want to use a brush as I'm pretty terrible with them and I know I'll ruin the smooth finish. My questions is, can I just spray acrylic over the Pledge varnish coat or will I need to remove the varnish first?

Many thanks in advance for any insight (and thanks to all for the many hours I have enjoyed perusing some of the fantastic builds on here, just wow)

Pledge/Klear/Future/other names are available is simply an acrylic varnish.

Let it cure for about a week to harden it off really good.

Sand the area with 2000 grade W&D or some toothpaste, applied on a finger. 

Then spray your red, then the varnish again

you may need to polish away any over spray with toothpaste again, followed by more varnish

• Like 1

What Black Knight said.

Let well and truly dry, then airbrush back over it with the red then Klear on top.

Just used this very same technique on an old white metal kit.

Rick.

• 3 weeks later...