My Lancaster and Halifax builds

I thought I’d post a couple of pictures of my two RAF WW2 bombers.

Both are Revell kits and both were bought as started kits off eBay.

The  Lancaster had been painted black inside with the turrets and flight deck assembled with way too much glue. Managed to scrape the paint off, dismantle the turrets and sand back the glue. Front turret clear part was missing to replaced it with Pavla replacement.

The Halifax, the wheel wells had been assembled incorrectly - again with way too much glue - and had been glued into the lower halves of the wings which badly deformed them downwards. . Fortunately, I managed to save the wings but the landing gear mounts were history. I had one piece out of the four so I measured it up and 3D printed replacement mounts.

I know the Halifax should have yellow leading edges, bit in all of the photos I’ve seen of the finished kit, the yellow seems too bright to me. I don’t want to paint them yellow and regret it later, so it will stay as is until I can get to a shop and get the appropriate toned down yellow.

Edited by Brigbeale
Messed up
  • Like 1

I was able to see the Lanc and Halifax.  (one image only) Nice work. I always find yellow quite a difficult colour as well. I am sure someone  on here will advise on an appropriate yellow for you to use.

Regards,

Rob

18 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Nice work on the bombers ! Wellington next ?

Wulfman

Funny you say that.

I purchased an Airfix Wellington which requires a complete rebuild.

As well as a Short Stirling in the same condition.

CbX61GU.jpg

O6H5IHt.jpg

8crUded.jpg

12 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Funny you say that.

I purchased an Airfix Wellington which requires a complete rebuild.

As well as a Short Stirling in the same condition.

VDwntvl.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
Wrong picture
  • Like 7

I like your style! I'm a fan of rebuilding old kits myself. Having recently gone a few rounds with a Revell Lancaster I can appreciate the work you have put into yours.

For some totally irrational reason, I can't warm to the early Halifax. Square the fins off and add radials and it's another matter altogether! I have no idea why this should be, but thankfully Airfix came to my rescue many years ago.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I like your style! I'm a fan of rebuilding old kits myself. Having recently gone a few rounds with a Revell Lancaster I can appreciate the work you have put into yours.

For some totally irrational reason, I can't warm to the early Halifax. Square the fins off and add radials and it's another matter altogether! I have no idea why this should be, but thankfully Airfix came to my rescue many years ago.

Tony.

About 30+ years ago I had a model collection of over 50 models. One of which was a Matchbox Halifax which as afar as I can remember, had the option of mk1 with front turret and arrow type fins or the mk3 with the Perspex nose and square fins. For some reason I preferred the arrow type fins and front turret. Maybe nostalgia has swayed me towards this kit. The Matchbox kit did have the radial engines though. The Revell kit had the option for the square fins and Perspex nose but only the Rolls Royce engines.

• Like 1

Oooh great work they look lovely, I have a few purchased from a boot fair to rescue, the Airfix Scammel tank transporter now stripped and ready for clean up a 48 Airfix Tornado GR4 which included a spare and needs stripping back both for a Quid each, and a 48 Trumpy Wellington which had been started , have stripped most back , this cost £15 and I have purchased the Pavla Turret set.  One day I will get to them!!!

Great work on your pair of heavies they look absolutely splendid.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Amazing stuff.  If I didn't have a stash of unbuilt kits to get through, I could well consider just doing rebuilds and restorations!

Well done!

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 16:32, bentwaters81tfw said:

They've turned out great. Nice job there.

BTW I think onedrive will only host photos for a month.

Thanks for your praise.

It seems your prediction about onedrive is correct, although the photos have just changed to links in the thread.

later photos are using imgur.