Help , i need the best Chrome finish possible

keith in the uk

Any suggestions for the best Chrome finish from an airbrush ?  i have a number of car parts that i would like to restore , using the Black undercoat then a chrome 

finish paint on top method,  Alclad comes to mind but i was wondering if any body else has tried this before and found brilliant results with a certain paint the shiner the better. All suggestions most welcome.

Cheers K.

35 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Any suggestions for the best Chrome finish from an airbrush ?  i have a number of car parts that i would like to restore , using the Black undercoat then a chrome 

finish paint on top method,  Alclad comes to mind but i was wondering if any body else has tried this before and found brilliant results with a certain paint the shiner the better. All suggestions most welcome.

Cheers K.

I've used Alclad Chrome and found it to be incredible fragile when dry. You have to clear coat it with something that then dulls the shine.

This was airbrushed on top of their gloss black.

I'd look elsewhere.

HTH

Rick.

• Like 1

Didn't know Molotow had paint in a bottle. I heard of some airbrushing the paint from the markers, don't know how well it works. I have used Spaztix chrome. I find it brighter than alclad chrome. It works exactly the same way and the bottle is about twice the size. When I paint alclad over black, it tends to looks a bit dark and can't put plated parts right next to it.

+1 for molotow. It may be possible to decant from the markers but is available as a refill which is basically a large dropper bottle. Sprays beautifully. Dries quickly as well

Nigel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NigelD said:

+1 for molotow. It may be possible to decant from the markers but is available as a refill which is basically a large dropper bottle. Sprays beautifully. Dries quickly as well

Nigel. 

How durable is the Molotow once sprayed? and how fast does it dry? Same prep and process as alclad?

I think AK make some good metallics now?

I'm sure an old mate of mine mentioned it.

I've used the Molotow pens and that was quite good. I seem to remember the refills were pretty expensive though?

Rick.

2 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

I think AK make some good metallics now?

I'm sure an old mate of mine mentioned it.

I've used the Molotow pens and that was quite good. I seem to remember the refills were pretty expensive though?

Rick.

Yes, they are very good. The chrome also have to have a gloss black undercoat to get the best out of it.

Uschi Van Der Rosten make a chrome rubbing powder which is great. Where I have done a bodge job on a piece I use this to touch it up a bit. It doesn't like being handled too much so beware.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your replys .

I should have mentioned that it was for real car parts , a MK1 Cortina grill .+ other small parts

I have checked out you tube and the Molotow paint looks very promising and so have ordered a 30mm bottle , 

If  my parts turn out as good as they do in the You Tube vid i will be more than happy.

Watch this space chaps , i will let you know the results.

cheers K.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Sorry Steve , i should have mentioned it was for real car parts.:worry:

Only problem with using any of the paints mentioned for real car parts is I don't think they'll be tough enough on a real car, certainly not standing up to any wear and tear or adverse weather..

Good point Steve , although this is a classic car which i only use during the summer months , i will give it a try just to see how it turns out and if it

wares very well . I have tried Alclad before but found it came out a standard silver rather than a Chrome effect as mentioned by Rick above.

The You Tube vid of Molotow Chrome spray looks very promising and my 30mm bottle is on its way . 

Cheers Keith.