1/72 Airfix SH-2F Seasprite - DONE

Hi all and this is the second build I'm in with, Airfix's lovely SH-2F Seasprite..

50037844397_97e921f593_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite Box art by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I've never built this kit but judging by the contents and ones I've seen made, it's a little cracker and one of Airfix's best (and underated)  I think.

50037039908_81d09ce023_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

If you're interested in their story, here's a short documentary about Kaman - I think Anton Flettner joined them after WW2

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 17

A great choice Dermot and a great kit too. I built one of these not long after it came out and it went together really well from memory, certainly one of Airfix's best helicopters along with the CH-53, never understood why Airfix haven't re-released either of them recently considering some of the rubbish that they seen fit to inflict on modellers again.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hi Dermot,

this is a great kit to build, or should I say, it is a great helicopter to build the kit of!

Unfortunately the box top is part and parcel of the  terrible period, when looking at it did not entice anybody to build the contents!

Have fun and I shall be following, along with the cast of thousands!

Cheers.

JR

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to this build as I gave the kit and conversion parts for a RNZN version I always thought thus was a very much underrated kit from Airfix, but given the subject perhaps not surprising. 

• Thanks 1

I'm another who's never built this kit but it comes from an era when Airfix were producing some great things so will be watching your progress with interest :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 3:53 PM, modelling minion said:

A great choice Dermot and a great kit too. I built one of these not long after it came out and it went together really well from memory, certainly one of Airfix's best helicopters along with the CH-53, never understood why Airfix haven't re-released either of them recently considering some of the rubbish that they seen fit to inflict on modellers again.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

It's a superb kit IMHO. The CH-53 was a mighty impressive kit as well, even if the rivet detail looked a bit overdone. But at least it had the rivets, unlike (as I recall) the later Italeri kit. Airfix did a lot of kits of US subject during the late 1970s and early 1980s, both before and during the MPC era. As well as these two, there was the U-2, B-1B, Banshee, Viking, Skyray, P-51B, Sea Knight, F-5E, A-10, F-16, F/A-18. F-105 ... well. maybe not all of them were great, but they were good enough for their time.

• Like 2

Thanks all! Given all the positive vibes here towards this kit, have decided to bring more photos to the party!

50078757541_239289d82d_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite Box contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

50079010002_92e04c543c_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite Box side by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Sprue shots

50079009247_0f563732e4_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite sprue by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

50079008702_90cf87c835_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite sprue2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Clear parts, decals and Airfix Club!

50078757871_d5bc894bbf_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite decals by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

For it's time, there's some lovely, fine detail on this kit.

50078757756_c48080ed2c_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite detail_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

50079008842_9e3ea113b4_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite  detail_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Part of the instruction sheet..

50078757056_46c03ac198_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite step1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I started on the interior. While this will be OOB, I added some insulation to the walls to take the bare look off them. 

50079008967_79299731e9_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Not that you'll be able to see that much! The insulation is made from that plastic 'tape' that binds newspapers...my local newsagent kindly gave me some.

50078186438_79eba94a78_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, stay safe and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dermot,

amazing what a little bit of tape can do to a model. It just takes it to the next level, and even if cannot see it all, you know it is there. You will sleep better for it, believe me!

I assume you are going to keep all the rivets? I am not a great fan of those things, but in this case they do not look ridiculously big.

Great start.

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Jean says, a nice start Dermot.

The tape for the cabin insulation works very well and adds a nice 3D effect.

It really is a very nice and crisply moulded kit, seeing the box pictures reminded me of painting the MAD bird in yellow and red (nobody's favourite colours to paint!) and actually making a decent job of it, well I was happy at the time and thats all that matters.

• Thanks 1

I built this one as a kid in anothet millenium - your pictures brings up some fond memories. And some not so fond, seeing those decals I remember frustration over not getting those rotor blade decals to listen. Will follow :)

• Like 1

Thanks all and some progress.

50132933873_54eaaebb5e_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Aside from the tape insulation on the walls and the seatbelts from masking tape, the rest is OOB. Puts a lot of more modern kits to shame!

50132933538_96bd2a9c28_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

50133490836_e4a5282793_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Buttoned up last night. The nose footwell windows are a little on the thick side but not too worried. 

50133716947_041f516dc5_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

50133490741_e56d97e3f6_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Love how Airfix gave you two full engines for the kit but all you will see is the intake and exhaust..

50133716892_6136be6e49_b.jpgAirfix SH-2F Seasprite wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Hopefully some more later, thanks for looking!

Happy modelling,

Dermot

• Like 19

Hi Dermot,

this is starting to really look like a Seasprite. I love your interior and the outside rivets are not a shocker.

I definitely will keep following your build.

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1