Stencils over D-day stripes?

Vlad

Given the hasty and sometimes sloppy nature of D-day stripe application, I assume the stencilling below suffered. Would some of it have been painted back on? Or do I just avoid putting any stencils at all in these areas?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's my gut instinct as well for aircraft flying "on the day", but what about stencils being gradually reapplied throughout June?

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

I've built four P-51s in the last 12 months - two with invasion stripes - so I looked at a lot of pictures and didn’t find many stencils in this area. In a very few instances they were masked before painting (mainly on the belly). The red fuel filler caps were not overpainted and the red no-step-angles sometimes repainted (or masked).

We need to keep in mind that invasion stripes were continually applied after D-Day in depots, even the full decoration incl. upper surfaces. On those later replacement aircraft stencils may have been re-applied. The best advice as always: check the original photos of your model.

• Like 2

I would imagine after so many hours of flight time in the type being flown, if a pilot or ground crew needed stencils to tell them where to step, not step, put fuel, etc., they most likely shouldn't have been wearing the uniform! :giggle: "Hier mit der klodhoppers, stompin' ist verboten!" might have been reapplied on Fw-190's, though!) I know- I know- back to the naughty corner with @corsaircorp! BTW, how're you doing, CC?

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Never say never but I would not think that stencils were added back. They were painted on the evening of 4/5 June by  overworked Ground crew 

Hi

from old interviews/chats i did,

not just groundcrew, everyone on station, cooks, clerks etc .. 

using mops and brooms, to complete the job in time 

cheers

jery

• Like 2

Some invasion stripes were extremely provisional and scruffy, some were very neat and done with care, and my understanding is that at least some Tempests, and possibly other new airframes, had them factory-applied. Bear in mind that not every aircraft that wore them was painted with them in a mad rush on the night before D-Day, there were reserve aircraft and new aircraft moving into the theatre throughout June and early July with full stripes, and after that with half stripes.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

I'm doing MK892 from the Eduard Longest Day boxing. It says the stripes were applied hastily and the aircraft ID codes that were covered up were hand painted further forward on the fuselage. So I guess that confirms "no stencils" for this one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I would imagine after so many hours of flight time in the type being flown, if a pilot or ground crew needed stencils to tell them where to step, not step, put fuel, etc.

All well and good but what if the aircraft puts down away from home. Just like we used to get the F111 and A10's into Binbrook we still knew where to put the fuel etc via stencils. Lets face it it was war time and any airfield would do if you'd system's, engines out due to battle damage.  

The desert pink was applied over most of the stencils except the warning and important ones to the jags and Tornado's

Edited by tweeky
typo
  • Like 1

This being the military and people being tired and war-weary, I would imagine constant written reminders of what you should or shouldn't do around sensitive equipment designed for high performance is crucial, even for people who are very familiar with it.

On that note though, how common would 100% complete and pristine stencilling (as usually shown on models) be on a WWII warbird in a combat deployed squadron?

5 minutes ago, Vlad said:

how common would 100% complete and pristine stencilling

it was factory applied.  So standard when new. 

In time it could be over painted or obscured, but many combat aircraft did not last long, ones that did would get major overhauls at specified times. Then, maybe it would get obscured, maybe get repainted.

STUDY PHOTOS.  A lot of kit decal markings are based on available photos, and they tend be out in the net. Try to find the reference pics. 

Many details can be made out, the Imperial War Museum images can usually be zoomed.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I would imagine after so many hours of flight time in the type being flown, if a pilot or ground crew needed stencils to tell them where to step, not step, put fuel, etc., they most likely shouldn't have been wearing the uniform! :giggle: "Hier mit der klodhoppers, stompin' ist verboten!" might have been reapplied on Fw-190's, though!) I know- I know- back to the naughty corner with @corsaircorp! BTW, how're you doing, CC?

Mike

Hello Mike !!

Fine !! Just fine !!

So a blue Chimay or a Delirium Tremens ?? This last one receive the grrrreat favor of our Dear  @Martian

He did'nt tell if he saw the pink pachyderm visible on the bottle ??? :cheers:

I hope that his intergalactic satcom will be fixed soon !!

On account of the srencils...

Over D Day stripes, I would say NO...

D day stripes has been painted in a hurry with what was at hand, they clearly did'nt have the time for reapplying the stencils...

Then most of the pics show heavily weathered stripes...

A paint hastilly applied with a brush did'nt last long on the airflow...

Even the FW did'nt have a lot of stencils around 1944, the most frequently applied is the octane level

The german Tidzipline suffered too :rofl2::rofl2:

The nasty corner is now a well frequented place....

A great bunch of not so gentle Gentlemen indeed !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vlad said:

Should have said, this is a Spitfire 🙂 not sure if pictures of this one exist, Eduard's colour instructions show no stencils over the stripes.

Hello Vlad...

Is this one talking to you ??

33943954_2047432855509446_9049226669373521920_n

Not only stencils are not re applied but in fact, the nice straight lines are wrong too....

How many swearing would have been spared for all of us modellers !!:rofl2:

Masking ?? What masking ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Were the stripes painted on with regular aircraft paint or was it a temporary distemper paint? I know some time after D-Day, the upper stripes were painted over, but were these the same aircraft that were there that first morning? 

Chris

• Like 1

It was a water soluble distemper.

But we would liken it to an acrylic today as it was quite impervious to water when dry. It took a lot of scrubbing to get it off the aeroplanes and it still left its presence afterwards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blimpyboy said:

Do you ever get underworked ground crew?

Hi

Thankfully yes, or else i wouldn't have been able to find that 'trenchart' 1:48ish brass whirlwind

with a stand made from a 20mm cannon shell and an raf button embeded in the base 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There does seem to be no stencilling over the stripes (national marking and squadron letters notwithstanding)

Canadair_CC-144B_Challenger_(CL-600-2A12

091231-F-0000X-001_650.jpg

qToU3d1.jpg

20131214-113214.jpg

F-16-BAF-with-stripes.jpg?ssl=1

Okay, okay, I'll take things a little more seriously now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Outstanding photo of two Thunderbolts together...both could punch 'way above their weight!

Yeah, you can't go wrong with the Thunderbolts!

An interesting aside - perhaps a good subject for another thread... - is the discussion about the effectiveness of the P-47 (and Typhoon and Il-2) against tanks. On one hand, their individual capabilities seem to be waaay overstated, while their mission effects were amazing!

1 hour ago, Blimpyboy said:

Yeah, you can't go wrong with the Thunderbolts!

An interesting aside - perhaps a good subject for another thread... - is the discussion about the effectiveness of the P-47 (and Typhoon and Il-2) against tanks. On one hand, their individual capabilities seem to be waaay overstated, while their mission effects were amazing!

Sure it will !!

Here's another discussion...

45206463_280598476128314_8383978420391903232_n

Now, did you ever heard about the Thunderbolt III ???

Shot fired !!

23517911_10155895624058748_4097088797622233247_n

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::bandit:

CC resident and waiter at the bar on Venus !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4