RAF Phantom Pair

Beautiful pair of F-4s 👍 What paint did you use for the greys as they look spot on. You've even seem to have got that greenish tinge in the 'J' that was quite obvious when they first arrived. I was only thinking the other day about digging my Fujimi FG1 out so now you've given me more incentive. Great job 👏

41 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

What paint did you use for the greys as they look spot on. You've even seem to have got that greenish tinge in the 'J' that was quite obvious when they first arrived.

Nothing clever unfortunately, both were painted using the same paint pots, so the blue green tinge is probably just a lighting quirk, although it does have one less coat than the Fujimi kit and the grey plastic may have been lighter.   I considered adding a bit of sky, but could see it all going wrong and as it represents a fairly late aircraft, they had been repainted using standard colours.

Topsides are Humbrol 167 (an old tin from the days when they called it Barley grey rather than Camouflage Grey). Inner wing is Humbrol 165 Medium Sea grey and the undersides are 166 Light Aircraft grey.  The radome on the FGR.2 is 127 and that on the F-4J(UK) is 165.  Klear used to key the decals, then a Dark Sea Grey wash in the panels, finally Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish to complete.

As always, thinned and hand brushed using my hairy sticks!

Incidentally, XE 359 "J" is the aircraft that now sits in Duxford in VF-74 markings.  I wanted to avoid T, I, G, E or R with a view to selling the remaining decals on when I finshed (skinflint that I am!)

FredT :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cracking pair sir......and the phantoms are pretty good too! Love a nice coloured tail phantom, great work.....twice!

Outstanding work! The Fujimi kit is still an superb base kit for RAF Phantoms. Love these 🙌

Eng

Brush painted, you say? You're not by any chance related to @tonyot, are you? Phairley Phenomenal Phantoms, methinks! Gotta love those Fujimi Spey Phantom kits- they still more than hold their own. :like:

Mike

• 1 year later...

Great looking models. Bring back so many memories as a child spending hours on the crash gates at Wattisham airfield with my father  waving at  the pilots as they went passed  and  smelling  lots the aviation fuel. Tiger squadron. Loving the looks of this models 👍💪😊

• Like 1